Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Showeast stays in orlando for 2009

Author Topic: Showeast stays in orlando for 2009
Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showeast info

"You may have heard that we had considered moving ShowEast 2009 to Miami, however, the event will remain in Orlando at the Orlando World Center Marriott"

Yea . . . good for me, may suck for you.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-16-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Orlando is a tourist destination and will be cheaper for most folks to get to.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-16-2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention a tad bit more of a draw than Miami!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-16-2009 06:34 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The deal was all set and then someone found out the loading dock could not take the larger trucks for the trade show (as in Coca Cola for instance) so the deal was scrubbed, or so we hear.

The thought in moving to Miami is better Latin America exhibitor attendance, and most are bored stiff with Orlando.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-16-2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They should just eliminate both of them and do one "ShowCentral" each year in Dallas.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-16-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing that Miami was supposed to bring was better air travel since more direct flights go there than Orlando. Another issue is the busing from the Marriot to the theatre.

Personally, I think ShowEast has suffered by moving away from the Mid-Atlantic area...attendence would be much higher if it returned to even Atlantic City. There is also Philadelphia, Baltimore and their suburbs. One thing that ShowEast used to have was the single-day folks. Because of the Mid-Atlantic area, folks from NY, MD, VA, WVA, PA, NJ and even into the New England area could come for just a day or so. This allowed companies to rotate people through. In mid Florida, it is an all or nothing event and the lure to bring the family and turn it into a vacation is just too strong.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2009 11:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who are bored with Orlando in general need to go over to the Kissimme Munincipal Airport Warbird Museum and either go on the T-6 for an Aerobatic rides(you fly it if ya can and or want to!) or if you can afford it on one of the P-35 Mustangs located about a half mile down the runway tarmac from the Warbird Museum.. The cost for the Acrobatic rides was around 400 bucks while the P-35 ran about 3500 per hour. Very cool! Frankly, I feel much safer while in Orlando than anywhere around Miami!!
Link

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-17-2009 07:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also Skycraft...a great surplus store that has about everything electronic....somewhere.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frankly, I feel much safer while in Orlando than anywhere around Miami!!
I do too (and I live near Miami) but it's all perception. On the 2008 most dangerous cities list Orlando is #18 while Miami is #35. Miami Gardens is #13 but it's northwest of Miami and not really what people would think of as "Miami" geographically.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-17-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Miami and was indirectly informed while they where doing site surveys last year.....Loading door issue, what podunk hotel / convention space where they trying to use? Miami / Miami Beach has plenty of convention space with up to 35 foot height, available cinemas and performing arts centers, restaurants, night life....if you long for Orlando type marshland you can take a trip to the nearby Everglades [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: