Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC Manager Title?

Author Topic: AMC Manager Title?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2009 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the proper title for the top manager of an AMC theatre? General Manager, Manager or something else?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-06-2009 08:03 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Mark, why do you ask? [Confused] [Wink]

After your experience at Watchmen hopefully the title isn't something like "General Manager & Senior Print Builder".

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2009 10:53 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be Whipping Boy or Fall Guy? [Big Grin]

Matt Kerekes
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2009 02:22 PM      Profile for Matt Kerekes   Email Matt Kerekes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that AMC General Managers are called Managing Directors.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-08-2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall "Managing Director" being the Loews-Cineplex title head manager.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2009 12:15 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it's simply "General Manager."

Link

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-08-2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding was that a General Manager was in charge of the smaller/older theatres. The Managing Director was in charge of theatres they're actually proud to run and keep open... I mean, the larger more profitable locations.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
The original concept (late 90's) was that a managing director would be in place at megaplexes, in addition to a general manager (the Block 30 actually opened with a managing director and two general managers). Basically, there was a belief that megaplexes would be so busy that another level of management/delegation was needed. The MD being the "big picture" guy, the GM serving a more direct operations role.

Not surprisingly, it was quickly realized that this wasn't always needed at megaplexes and the title difference was officially assigned according to a set business figure (the number has varied over the years); i.e. if a theatre does over X amount of business, the top manager is a MD, if under the designated figure, the individual is a GM.

To confuse matters further, some individuals have obtained/maintained the MD title in a fashion unrelated to the business level of their theatre. When I worked at AMC's Fullerton 20, the business level dictated that the top manager be a GM, but one particular GM played the corporate politics game and obtained the MD title for himself.

So, you'll find the title assigned to individuals who oversee unusually busy theatres, multiple theatres, and, in some cases, individuals who are highly thought of within the company. Prior to the managing director title, the same situation existed with a GM and Sr. GM title.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: