Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Slumdog on DVD March 31st... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Slumdog on DVD March 31st...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-04-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was number one at the box office yesterday, yet in less than 30 days it's on DVD...WTF?

From www.showbizdata.com

Wednesday, March 4 2009

Slumdog Millionaire may have enjoyed its best weekend to date in theaters last weekend -- even after nearly four months in release. And the Academy Award winner's legs are likely to remain steady for several more weeks. That's why analysts were somewhat surprised when Fox announced that Slumdog, whose Oscar wins included best picture, director (Danny Boyle), and adapted screenplay (Simon Beaufoy), would be released on DVD and Blu-ray disc on March 31 -- just four weeks from now. The Blu-ray version, it said, will include a bonus music video. The A.R. Rahman soundtrack won Oscars for best original score and best original song.

source

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2009 07:40 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still #1 at the box office today [Wink]

The thing is, slumdog was one of those films that "moved around" for quite a while, so the video distributor is not going to wait any longer.

Officially opened in USA Jan 23, I think (Jan 9 in the UK). It's just that it took forever to reach the top possitions at the BO.

But yeah, less than 3 months window.

Obviously owners make more $$$ selling the DVD that showing the movie, but in this case I particularly would probably wait an extra week for the blu-ray and yet another week after that for the DVD. [Wink]

Don't want to wait too long after the Oscar buzz, though.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-04-2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horribly short window, but this reeks of Fox wanting to take advantage of the Oscar buzz before it dies down.

I also wonder if it's an attempt to head off some of the bootleg sales. I've heard there is a high quality bootleg of Slumdog out there.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 02:48 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julio Roberto
Officially opened in USA Jan 23, I think (Jan 9 in the UK).
It opened November 14, but didn't get a decent expansion until December 19. It went wide on January 23, but had already grossed 45 million by then.

I guess it depends on what you consider "opened" to mean.

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 03:15 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't have been able to receive ANY oscars if it had opened in January!

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 08:55 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. By "I thought officially opened" I meant I thought it went "wide" on the 23rd.

I wasn't counting a couple of festivals and limited as to make it eligible for awards towards the DVD release window.

Otherwise, it's an extreamly generous one [Wink]

When you guys say a movie "opened" ... are you also counting the festivals it may be shown in a month or two before "true release"? If so, should I just use "opened wide" to refer to the date people in the US can actually see it in theaters regularly? Or is there a more appropiate term in US-english?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2009 09:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Open" can mean anything from the first day it's shown in public to the first day it's shown in a particular cinema. So you just need to use some kind of an explanatory term when you are talking about a movie opening. For example, we are opening Hotel for Dogs on Friday, but it opened nationwide in January.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-05-2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox Searchlight was testing the waters on this release back in November after they picked it up at Toronto. They almost released it straight to the DVD market without giving it a theatrical release. That is the reason for the limited release late last year.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the first US showing of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE at the Telluride Film Festival last August.

There were no film prints available, so we ran 25fps Digital-beta.

Below are pix from the actual set up used at the premiere.

The deck was Sony HDW-D1800. We used direct digital video & audio outputs. Audio was run through an interface (I forget the type) and then into the theater's CP-650.

-

The Projector was a Panasonic PT-DW1000U
 -

After the show, my boss thought I deserved a big hand.
. . . this is the biggest one they could find! [Big Grin]
 -

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
The deck was Sony HDW-D1800. We used direct digital video & audio outputs
So much for DCI encryption etc ... [Wink]

This movie, then, has a most generous DVD release window since it "opened" in the USA ... August 2008 through March 2009 [Wink]

[beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why 25fps? That's lame. Todays technology allows for exhibition of true 24fps video formats. Let's get rid of this PAL/NTSC nonsense.

You may think you're special, but I ran the first US showing of Warriors of Virtue!!!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-05-2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By December 19, Slumdog was in 589 theatres. That's a pretty wide "limited" release. Definitely more than just film festivals.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Australia, it is in week 12 of release, has grossed nearly $A16m (about $US25m), is second in the B.O., and is running on 196 screens.

Most of those screens are digital but not DCI. They are 25fps e-cinema, although I'm sure many projectors are capable of full HD.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this'll be a decent test of what the DVD release does to the theatrical revenues providing the movie still performing well at the end of this month.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-05-2009 07:17 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Daily Variety reported today it passed the $200 Million mark worldwide.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: