Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal replacing concession stand menu boards with video screens? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal replacing concession stand menu boards with video screens?
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-01-2009 08:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal 15 in Eugene recently replaced their "static" menu boards behind the concession stand with a bank of Sony LCD monitors. The bank of monitors runs the entire length of the concessions stand. Some of the screens display prices, while others have animated Coke promotions and similar stuff. It's actually kind of cool.

Is this a "test", or is it already demonstrated that using these video screens will improve the per-caps for concessions?

They also took out all the MasterCard PayPass debit card readers. Am I the only person who liked those?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 12:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our small circuit has been using 42" monitors for menu boards for almost a year-hooked up to DVD players with animated menu information produced using PowerPoint software.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a test. I am getting my screens for my site next month. The displays are connected to the computer systems therefore the prices will be updated automatically whenever there are prices changes. They are VERY nice.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 03:39 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have four monitors across the stand, two with the film times (we sell tickets at the stand) and two with concessions promotions. They look pretty good. Also have several static boards as well. One obvious benefit of monitors is being able to change the adverts depending on the time of day.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital signage is the "hot ticket" in the Audio Visual / I.T. market for the past two years....appearing in the exhibition market shows it is now pretty mainstream.......

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 10:51 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just recently set up a foyer display for coming attractions.
i used a LCD TV and a WD hard drive media player . these litle guys are great , just load up what ever pics or video files you need onto a USB hard drive then connect it to the media player and TV and away you go no discs to worry about.

can set it up to play in a loop and comes with conversion software.

link below from WD web site explains more.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=572

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind these new menu boards. Even the grocery stores have them at the checkouts.

What I don't like is programming that strobes, it is hard on the eyes for those forced to be around them all day or night.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those things that I really long for -- yet I can't decide if it's because of it's nifty nature or if it's really a good tool.

I don't trust the marketing hype. So...Anybody want to weigh in on whether or not these have improved your per-caps after conversion from static menus?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-07-2009 02:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most of Regal's theatres this is an improvement, however for some of the Edwards locations it isn't. Edwards menu boards were ornate and had fiber optic stars on the sides. They matched the theming and personality of Edward's later builds (1997-2001). It saddens me to think they will be replaced with plain old flat screen monitors. Lobby theming seems to be a dieing art as advertising pushes more and more into every facet of the moviegoing experience.

On the other hand, I recently deployed a digital poster box at my current theatre which I am very proud of. It's run off a mac mini with Keynote slides. I can import poster artwork, place a trailer somewhere on the poster, and customize text such as dates and showtimes. It faces the street and a lot of people stop to look at it.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Where do you get high resolution artwork or posters for your digital poster display?

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2009 12:33 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I think the Mac Mini / Keynote combo will be the choice for independents out there wanting to take advantage of digital signage. I would suggest to anyone wanting to develop their own digital signage to go that route. It is also one of the most user friendly options out there.

Keynote is so robust and able when compared to powerpoint. We are working on converting all of our signage over to Keynote in the near future. Mac Mini's are at a great price point for what you get as well. [thumbsup]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-08-2009 08:29 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an account at Movieposterdb.com for high rez posters.

Keynote is definitely a good solution. Make sure you get one of the newer mac minis though or you'll be stuck at 720p.

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 09:44 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to chime in briefly, I believe that the Digital Menu Boards regal has installed were all financed by Coca Cola, and are only going into the busiest 50% of the company.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-11-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael McGovern
I believe that the Digital Menu Boards regal has installed were all financed by Coca Cola
Well that would explain the colorful animated Coke ads running on them.

Jillian Brock
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Jillian Brock   Email Jillian Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screens are really nice, but I'm sure my theatre will not get them as we are one of four theatres in the entire company that does not have DCN. Yes.. we do have the roller coaster! [Smile]

As for PayPass, in the three or so years that those things were installed, I came across ONE customer who had the paypass chip in his card. No one else could use them anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: