Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal charging a dollar on Free Popcorn Tuesdays

Author Topic: Regal charging a dollar on Free Popcorn Tuesdays
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2009 01:02 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know exactly how long this practice has been in place at Regal(probably a few months). But it ticked me off when I see my Regal Crown Club getting less benefits than before. Aren't we already paying more in ticket prices? So is there a need to reduce the freebies? I think they altered the points schedule.

But the most obvious change is that they started to charge a dollar for small popcorn on Tuesdays for Crown Club members. Granted, it is still a good deal. But now, it makes me less likely to choose Tuesday(which I assume is their way of getting more customers to come during an offpeak time period) as my moviegoing day. More than the price, it is the hassle of remembering to bring some cash with me.

Are there other programs out there that are reducing frequent moviegoer benefits?(I haven't been to AMC in a while). Is the dollar going to more than offset the lack of gimmick promotion value a free popcorn day would give the chain?

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2009 11:06 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the (Regal) UA Stonestown Twin in SF a few weeks back to see Slumdog. Theatre was PACKED. The busiest I've ever seen it in a loooong time.

Many folks got in line to buy concessions, only to be extremely insulted and turned off by the high prices. $9 for a popcorn, $4.50 for a bottle of water, etc. There were many comments such as "AMC doesn't charge this much!" and "Oh forget this, they got to be joking, let's go". And many of the folks who got in line quickly stepped out of line and didn't buy anything.

And, do you think they'll ever return to this theatre to see a movie again? This was Regal's big chance to win over the folks of SF to acquire them as future customers at their UA Stonestown Twin theatre, since they finally got a big enough hit to play there to actually draw some crowds there, and they completely blew it. Not to mention the showtimes conflicted with Revolutionary Road and the staff was in a tizzy and couldn't handle it all. No ticket taker. People walking in without paying, etc...

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If popcorn was 9 bucks in my area, then the dollar would be a super bargain. Medium popcorn is around 7 bucks in my area.

[ 03-19-2009, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Pravin Ratnam ]

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 03-10-2009, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Tyler Potts ]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 02:23 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amount of points one can receive have gone up perday and the Free Popcorn Tuesday is now called Dollar Popcorn Tuesday.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 03:25 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to ask how much you pay to be a Regal Crown Club member? Are you getting back more than what you paid for that membership?

The reality is popcorn and oil prices have gone through the roof in the last year or so. When you factor in labor, $1 is not much above cost on a small popcorn anymore.

Furthermore, my experience working in a theatre that does "Tightwad Tuesday" is these discount days do not bring in the customers who spend money. The theatre's per cap would average around $3.00 all week (this was more than 10 years ago), but on Tuesdays it would drop to maybe $1.50.

The bottom line is promotions and freebies are great, but if you aren't generating enough income you won't be around to give out the freebies.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's free to be a member of the Crown Club.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-02-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Crown Club membership is absolutely free. Fill out a membership form; Regal gives you a membership card. Use the card when you buy tickets and concessions, accumulate points (based on how much you spend), and you get free stuff: popcorn, sodas, and movie tickets. Yesterday I went to "Benjamin Button" and my next movie ticket is free courtesy of the Crown Club. They've never refused to accept a CC pass for any show, although I suppose they could if it was a major new release that might sell out or something.

Jillian Brock
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Jillian Brock   Email Jillian Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RCC free tickets are not good on pass-restricted features, which are decided by the studios. You can use them for all non-restricted films and a restricted film becomes non-restricted after 10 days. It's free to join the club and there's no catch so really it is a good deal.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric; Others:
For the record...........

I was at the Stonestown a few days ago (Alien Tresspass) and the large popcorn is $7.50 with the medium and small being slightly less.

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: