Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Jonas Brothers 3D Ticket Prices (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jonas Brothers 3D Ticket Prices
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 8 year old son wanted me to take him to the local Regal theatre to see the new Jonas Brothers 3D concert thing, as I figured if I could sit thru Riverdance on stage that my wife made me see, I could handle the Jonas Brothers.

$15.00 each for tickets? [Eek!] They were serious. [fu] Are all 3D movies that expensive? If so... I don't have any worries about the survival of my drive-in any time soon.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-25-2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
Are all 3D movies that expensive?
No. Just these Disney concert shows for kids things usually. If I remember correctly, last year's Hanna Montana 3D show was commanding a $18 per ticket price. I think the prices for the 3D showing of the recent BCS Championship game were also pretty steep. $20 or more I think.

Prices for 3D vary from one theater to the next. Our local Carmike usually charges $2 above normal prices for 3D movies.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-25-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much our local Dole Cannery 18 & IMAX will be charging for the film, their first in IMAX and 3-D?

-Claude

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason the Disney teeny bopper 3D concert films are considered some kind of special concert event and they should not be confused with a simple 3D concert movie. Therefore tickets are $15 and up with no discounts for matinee, child, senior or anything.

For some reason, the desire of kids to see these is so great that people actually pay the price. Last year we only had 1 3D location when Hannah Montana came out and we sold out every show except the earliest friday show and the latest sunday show for the entire opening weekend. I was shocked people would pay that price.

I could understand the price if it was a true special event live concert 3D broadcast. I guess if people will pay then why not charge that much.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-25-2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a concert film such as this SHOULD cost more than a regular movie.

- You can sit in a nice cushy theater chair instead of a crappy arena seat

- You get a nice closeup view of the performer instead of a nosebleed view

- You have your choice of dozens of show times.

- You get to hear it on a sound system that will (hopefully) sound good but not make your eardrums bleed with distortion

And it still costs far less than the real concert would.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Mike has a point.... I just really never considered it as going to a concert. The whole time, I've looked at it as just another movie in the megaplex - that just happens to be featuring the Jonas Brothers.

I probably will end up taking him anyway. He keeps pointing out to me that I took his brother to the Titans/Jets game last fall and left him at home. They never forget anything... [Mad]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the theatre get any extra benefit from these $15 tickets, or do you end up with the same amount as a normal release?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-26-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We now know Disney charges extra for their 'Concert' films in 3-D especially in IMAX but how much extra does it cost to see a 2-D movie in Digital IMAX compared to regular movies in 35mm. Here in Hawaii, I pay $6.75 as a senior citizen to see a standard movie and about $2.50 more for 3-D. Now that Honolulu will have a commercial 3-D IMAX theatre again, how much more will I be asked to pay to see a movie in 2-D Digital IMAX like WATCHMEN next week? If I wanted to see a future 3-D digital IMAX presentation, how much more will I be expected to pay compared to a 2-D film in that format?

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even pay 5 bucks to see this crock!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-26-2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
I figured if I could sit thru Riverdance on stage that my wife made me see, I could handle the Jonas Brothers.
Riverdance was actually entertaining to watch. You would have to pay me a decent sum to sit through the Jonus Brother's concert.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonas Bros. are actually a pretty good band for their genre. They play their own instruments and write their own songs. I would venture to say the more annoying thing about going to the concert film would be the teenyboppers in the crowd.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 03:14 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone said the rumor going around is that the boys show up at various theatres after the movie and the audience of however many teen girls are told that the way to get one of them to apear is to scream as loud as they can so the guy can hear them and thus will make an appearance.

I can't hazard a guess as to what decible level a room full of those screaming teens will be able to generate at say 3kHz, but there's no guessing need to know that it will be more painful that sticking ice picks in both my ears at the same time. Thank you no....I don't think I will be paying $15 for a 76 min movie and the accompanying ear torture.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 08:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one was able to provide me with information how much it was going to cost to see this film, I was able to get the information from Fandango. Yes, the regular 3-D version will cost $15.00 but the IMAX will be $2.50 more. It is hard to believe people are willing to pay that much to see this film. Mark said he would not even pay $5.00 to see this movie. I feel more strongly about it when I say I would not see it even if it was free. As much as I would like to check out how Digital IMAX 3-D look, I will wait until March when MONSTERS VS ALIENS is released in the format. Although I am not crazy about animated 3-D films, I will not have to put up with teenage girls screaming all around me!

-Claude

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2009 09:36 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does Digital IMAX 3-D use the 2 stacked projectors that they use for 2-D? Or do they use 4 stacked projectors (2 for each eye?)

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2009 01:47 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one set of stacked projectors for 3D.

2 projectors for 2D.
2 projectors also for 3D.

You do the math [Wink]
[beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: