Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Studio 28 Grand Rapids Auction prices

Author Topic: Studio 28 Grand Rapids Auction prices
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 43 years of service to the community Studio 28 located at 1350 28th St Sw, Grand Rapids MI, closed it's doors and hired an auction company to liquidate it's assets.

Check out these prices. Does cinema equipment usually go for this low of an amount?

Completed Auction Prices

Complete 35mm projectors, pedestals, and lamphouse for $38.00!!

A Xenex II lamphouse with a Cinemeccanica VP projector for $12.50

Big Sky Platter - $90.00, Speco LP270 platter for $41.00

Lot of 3 Christie AW-3's for $425 (That's $141 bucks a piece)

How about 13 Strong AP-3 Platters for $1500 - That's $115 each!

Either somebody got an amazing deal, or somebody's going to the scrap metal dealer.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, this is a real shock to me. (About closing)
I was on vacation in the early 90's and made a point of seeing this theatre. The people gave my wife and I a complete tour. I'm sad to see it close. [Frown]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this theatre had more equipment than some, but I never realized how much stuff a multiplex actually has until someone itemizes it all, like what was done here...

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 05:54 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one of the Cinemeccanicas show up on Ebay already - bidding is up to $255.

All the 35mm stuff was idle for almost 2 years since Studio 28 was all digital.

I was going to go, but did not have the time to waste driving across the state.

Sad to see the place close, but good to know that most of the patrons will be going to the same owner's other nearby venues.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-28-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a THX booth monitor (sans crossover cards) and some soundproofing I plan to use at home. I would have picked up a few JBL 8330s, but alas I'm on a budget, and 8330s are readily available anywhere.

It's funny that the Christie equipment went for so much more than all the rest. If they had stayed as low as some of the others, I might have picked one up.

I've shot a TON of footage of closing night and auditorium gutting. As soon as they set a date to demolish the building, you can bet I'll be there filming.

quote: David Zylstra

Sad to see the place close, but good to know that most of the patrons will be going to the same owner's other nearby venues.

Do they have a choice? It's pretty much them and an AMC/Star in that whole area. At least Loek's runs a pretty high quality operation, whereas a lot of companies with heavy market dominance in a region seem to stop trying.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-28-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some bargains there...pity about the shipping costs though... [Eek!]

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I only live a couple hours from there. I would have laid down a couple thousand for spare parts if I would have known about the auction.

Darn.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shucks, average selling price on the 35mm Cinemeccanica projectors was about 40$

Alas not too close to Los Angeles [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-29-2009 03:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital has killed the price of all used film equipment regardless of brand or country of manufacture or quality. It just doesn't make sense to install but a projector or two in new large builds with digital looming. A person or company that spends money on nice new film gear will end up hauling it to the scrap heap in 5 years or less.

Mark.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2009 04:13 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i was there loading my V5/consoles, the best deal of the auction btw, there were a couple guys loading piles of Xetron/Irem rectifiers to take to the scrapyard...there also seemed to be many people buying projectors for the novelty factor

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2009 06:11 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect a lot of the seats were being bought for novelty sake.
A barber shop I used to go to had wooden seats that came from a old theatre for customers to sit in and wait...(which old theatre the owner didn't know as he bought them from someone else.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: