Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "The Dark Knight" being re-released on Jan 23rd '09? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "The Dark Knight" being re-released on Jan 23rd '09?
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2009 09:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal just sent out a newsletter email to its loyalty club members saying The Dark Knight will be back in theaters, including IMAX, on Jan. 23rd. Is this strictly a Regal thing, or will the movie be in true wide release again?

quote:
The Dark Knight is back for a return engagement in theatres and IMAX on January 23, giving audiences one more chance to see the film on the big screen.

One of the most celebrated and successful films of this or any year,The Dark Knight has been hailed by both critics and audiences since its original release last July.

The Dark Knight broke virtually every possible box office record to become the top-grossing film of 2008 and the second-highest grossing movie (domestically) of all time.

Director Christopher Nolan's revolutionary use of IMAX cameras to film some of the most challenging action sequences ever created was a first for a major feature film - and whether you see it in an IMAX or conventional thaetre,The Dark Knight is a moviegoing experience worth another look!

Now, see it again, as it was meant to be seen - In theatres and IMAX and earn 5 extra credits on your Regal Crown Club card.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-20-2009 10:45 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to BoxOfficeMojo it's only going to be 250 theatres. That basically means just major markets. The Early Report on FilmJerk.com is says 200+ theatres plus 50 IMAX.

The Early Report on FilmJerk.com
BoxOfficeMojo

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 01:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a print on Friday at our discount theatre...

Guess, we're pretty lucky to tag one of these 250 location openings for Friday..

-Monte

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any list of IMAX theaters getting this?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre list here:
http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/imax/

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of digital IMAX theaters in that list.

[Roll Eyes]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I will be driving past one of those that is 5 minutes away to see it on 70MM film 30 minutes away. [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 04:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sydney IMAX is still screening The Dark Knight...has been since July.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-22-2009 05:09 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be too, Geoff. I'll be driving past several. My brother will be leaving his city and their digital presentations to go see it at King of Prussia and if I know my brother, he will be bringing a car (or two) full of people with him.

I'm curious. Everyone I talked to so far has said that they would pay to see it again in IMAX. Is there anyone who has seen it in IMAX before who is NOT going to be interested in seeing it again this time?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Nevermind...

Robert Crabtree
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 01:17 PM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might not be seeing it again this time, but that's largely because I saw it 5 times- 3 in IMAX, once in a standard showing, and then once with Open Caption.

Though seeing it again would give me an excuse for taking pictures of more theatres....

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
Yes. I will be driving past one of those that is 5 minutes away to see it on 70MM film 30 minutes away.
I guess the question is, how do we know which theatre is playing it in 70mm and which in digital? I saw it in IMAX this summer in Vegas (Brendan) but fell asleep through half of it (NO- not because of the movie, but sheer exhaustion). BUT I am seeing it with a friend who loved the movie but only saw it standard and who has never seen IMAX before, so I HOPE the Universal City AMC is STILL showing 70mm and not digital. Anyone I know for sure?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 01:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
I guess the question is, how do we know which theatre is playing it in 70mm and which in digital?
And THAT is why IMAX is doomed to failure. No-one knows which product is which...and it does matter.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
HOPE the Universal City AMC is STILL showing 70mm and not digital.
Paul:

From my experience seeing "Eagle Eye" in IMAX Digital I doubt sincerely they could fill a full-sized IMAX screen with the digital product. In King of Prussia PA they still have 70mm as of DTESS. It's a pretty safe bet Universal City still has real IMAX.

Funny I can get away with calling it "real IMAX" here versus the bastardized version and no one complains but if I refer to "real Star Trek" over the upcoming "reboot" (termed as such for Mike Schindler)I get blasted.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how I see your last comment as a non sequitur. What's happening with Star Trek is nothing like what's happening with IMAX.

Hint: With IMAX, the company is falling over themselves to make it seem like the new IMAX is no different than the old and is the exact same experience whereas no one is claiming that the new Star Trek movie is going to be the same experience as the original.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: