Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » My Bloody Valentine 3D - Marketing Shenanigans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My Bloody Valentine 3D - Marketing Shenanigans
Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sort of upset with the way My Bloody Valentine has been marketed. It seems to unfairly place both the theaters without digital 3D and customers in regions with out it as an option in a very unfair place. A general confusion spurred by the marketing campaign and by the industry as a whole regarding 3D pictures. I wish there was something to educate the public even a poster series like they do for anti-piracy.

Just tonight after showing 3D for two rounds. Despite we display that the film is not showing in 3D there is still mass confusion and anger. It seems that the audience does not know why we are not showing it in 3D and think we choose to show it in 2D.

No doubt the marketing campaign on the movie is going to prove very profitable in markets with 3D and despite having it in 2D we are having good attendance.

This is something I am wondering about. I know Rentrak and Boxofficemojo display theater counts for films but is there any service that displays theater count broken down by digital print vs 35mm print or even 3D also?

I am curious to see what the number of 3D vs 2D houses are on this film, and then the grosses of 3D houses vs 2D houses.

This same problem happened with Beowolf and Journey to the Center Earth but not to this extent. No where near to this extent.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2009 07:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could be partly because the word "3D" is part of the MBV title. Whereas on those other two films, it was not.

I think there should be a law against having "3D" as part of the film's title if it will ever be shown in 2D format.

Meanwhile, put a sign in your window saying that 3D requires a fantastically expensive system that you don't have yet, and you're sorry but this film will be presented in our standard format, and you're sorry for any misunderstanding created by the marketing campaign.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am upset that I dropped a full 6k with T/P, reels 1,2 and 3 of MBV 2D on my toe and now it's got more colors than a crayola box.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 08:18 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theaters need to let their distributors know very firmly that they need to try to avoid putting 3D in the title of films they plan on releasing flat. They should also provide some publicity material (posters, etc) without the 3D in them.

When Jaws 3D come out in the 80's, some of the posters had a matching sticker to cover the 3D part out to be used for 2D engagements.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-16-2009 08:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Journey actually was titled with 3D in the title and they dropped it at the last minute, supposedly because they couldn't get enough 3D playdates. Though I think we have onesheets and trailers that market it that way.

I would expect your booker would be able to tell you the 3D/2D split, and that that would be part of your negotiation for this title. No?

--jhawk

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 04:32 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you are upset about movies being released in 2D AND 3D, (and promoted mostly as 3D) then maybe you should also be upset about movies being promoted as IMAX! If not, then shut up!

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 06:04 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We hand some moaners last night depite signs being put up stating that we were not showing it in 3-D!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2009 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You COULD do up your own posters to educate YOUR OWN customers... no one's stopping you!

quote: Ryan Navaroli
and then the grosses of 3D houses vs 2D houses.

Typically 3-D houses gross 2 to 6 times the take of a 2-D house. This is at least true of our customers that have 3-D and I also believe this is true on a national scale.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-17-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Typically 3-D houses gross 2 to 6 times the take of a 2-D house. This is at least true of our customers that have 3-D and I also believe this is true on a national scale.
Well of course....if the movie is marketed as 3-D, naturally 3-D fans are going to come out. That doesn't mean the movie wouldn't have done just as well if it was a 2-D movie and marketed in the regular way. (If it's a good movie.)

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 12:32 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwin, the difference is that people are trained to know that you have to go to a special theater for IMAX. They don't know or care about the distinction between 35mm and DLP, and therefore miss the fact that current release 3D is DLP, and specially equipped DLP at that.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 02:49 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With MBV, the intention was to release it exclusively in 3D. The problem is that with only 900 or so 3D capable screens in the US they couldn't justify it and released it in 2D also. What they probably should have done is released it in 3D exclusively for 3 weeks and then rolled out a "now in 2D also" promo. The 3D runs will be switching to 2D at that point anyway for the most part.

I'm also assuming that it was released Jan 16 instead of Friday, Feb 13th (Fri the 13th and the day before valentines day) due to the release of Coraline on Feb 6th which will take up all of the 3D capable auditoriums.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-17-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Lyle, but that's been true for every 3D release. Nobody wants to do a 3D release in 2D, it's just [apparently] inevitable for the screen count that studios think is necessary.

[Insert witty commentary and time series graph of Gran Torino and Revolutionary Road theatre counts here]

--jhawk

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-17-2009 04:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ryan Navaroli
Just tonight after showing 3D for two rounds. Despite we display that the film is not showing in 3D
quote:
Meanwhile, put a sign in your window saying that 3D requires a fantastically expensive system that you don't have yet,
But if you have it, why aren't you playing it in 3D? What's taking up that screen? I don't get it...are you still running Bolt in 3D or something? Surely you could share that screen now with MBV.

[Confused]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-17-2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if you are upset about movies being released in 2D AND 3D, (and promoted mostly as 3D) then maybe you should also be upset about movies being promoted as IMAX! If not, then shut up!
There's a difference that this movie has been, as far as I've seen, only been advertised as 3D whereas the movies being put into IMAX were advertised as being available both in IMAX and not. Like they'd advertise the movie itself then add a blurb about how you can also see it in IMAX.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2009 06:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
That doesn't mean the movie wouldn't have done just as well if it was a 2-D movie and marketed in the regular way. (If it's a good movie.)

Mike,
I think you mis-read my post. I said the 3-D grosses are generally two to three times the 2-D gross. It doesn't mean that 3-D fans come out of the wood work... a whole new generation of people are being exposed to digital 3-D which is much higher quality than the last round of 35mm 3-D was in the 80's. So if the 2-D gross has been good the 3-D gross would typically be 2 to 6 times that. Thats nothing to sneeze at! In one medium sized town one of our customers paid for his 3-D system with revenues from the first film booking! That makes installing 3-D a no brainer! Even if 3-D does die out in several years so what... you've made gobs of revenue and still have a projector that can play 2-D shows.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: