Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Preview/film Material Rights?

Author Topic: Preview/film Material Rights?
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 01:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an odd thought the other day of trying to construct something (I don't want to give it away as it may be my million dollar Idea... or not) out of old previews. Now I am not going to use them in a way for which they were intentionally intended. Nor will you ever be able to see a particular frame clearly to know what it even was. I just want to use the mass of it to create a "sculpture" of sorts. Do you think their could be any legal ramifications to this as in from the studios? In theory I could do the same thing with blank film as with printed film however blank costs and the old printed stuff is either thrown out or recycled. I am in essence just recycling it in a different manor.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-12-2009 01:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen holiday wreaths and dress ties made out of scrap film.

I don't think you'd have any problem with this invention you're coming up with since it won't be presented on any screen anymore.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a cool idea once to make bookmarks out of old film. Just print the theatre name and phone number on the paper, add the film, laminate and cut-up to mkae cool bookmarks. But I never persued the idea due to

1. It was a lot of work

2. I feared the copyright issues

3. I keep hearing that nobody reads anymore anyway

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
3. I keep hearing that nobody reads anymore anyway
That's right they are all at the movies. [Big Grin]

My only issue would be copyright but again I don't think I have to worry as well since the film won't be viewable.

The bookmark was a friend of mines Idea as well but there you might get into trouble because you can see the performers faces and they might get touchy about you making money off their likeness. Then again they might not care one bit... You never know! Actually they will probably care when you make a million or two off of them.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 01:09 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could ask a copyright lawyer. Most are pretty happy to help in a way some for no fee some with minimal fee because in the end the hopes is that you would use them for representation to copyright whatever you make, and so on..

Its like the artists who used cars as sculptures. you know its a buick but did they get the rights to that buick??? get what I mean..?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 03:07 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One year, to decorate under the theatre lobby's Christmas tree, one of the employees wrapped up empty boxes to look like wrapped gifts using one sheet posters and used film (old trailers) as ribbon. It looked cool.
None of us thought about copyrights or the like. We didn't get in trouble either.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-13-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one's going to complain about your using old onesheets or trailers for in-theatre art displays. It's a non-issue.

If you're going to be selling a product or distributing them en masse in some way, studios might start to care.

--jhawk

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-13-2009 04:33 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I've read the small print, but IIRC the posters and trailers are the property of the film companies and must be either returned or disposed of. If the "theatre" disposes of the material and "you" then retrieve it, all property considerations are taken care of. If you are not using the materials for their intended purpose, you are probably safe under copyright fair use. The situation is similar to a magazine seller tearing the front off of old magazines rather than return them and then using the destroyed mags to make collages.

As always, consult someone who knows, and don't mess with Disney.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
don't mess with Disney.
Very Wise!

I will try and check with a copyright lawyer before I go any further.

Thanks all.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since in your original post you say that it would be hard to tell what a frame contains, why not use the 'credit sequence' of an old print?

Or, use a "scope" trailer for an obscure title from a film company that's out of business and you'll never have a problem.

If you stay away from animation, it'll be almost impossible to tell what's on the film, I would guess.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't clearly see what's on the frame they won't be able to tell what it was anyway. I say use any piece of film you want and don't worry about it.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just need allot of film and I do mean alot like 10 full reels worth and yes before you ask we do have that much plus more lying around. They never throw anything out. I am going to go for it and when I am done I will post a pic. (if it works) now I just have to convince the owner he won't be liable for the film. Hmmmmm.... I may yet get something in writing from a lawyer...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-14-2009 06:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a large quantity of cheap film with picture, order "picture sound fill" from an editing supply house (e.g. Christy's in Burbank, CA.). You can get it in 16mm or 35mm and it will be cheap. It will usually have a big scratch down the center of the picture, but is otherwise fine. It is generally lab reject film or weird stuff like American TV shows with Spanish soundtracks. For an "art project," it would be fine, and would have no rights or ownership issues.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info but right now instead of cheep it's free although the no hassle part may make up for that but then their is shipping to consider. If this falls through with my boss however I will look into your suggestion. Thanks again for the info.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries. I actually know someone who used to do this. You're not reproducing it or projecting it. It's just tactile material.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: