Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Copyright free intermission music (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Copyright free intermission music
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-11-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a good source for copyright free intermission music (or copyright free music that could be used for intermission music). What I would really prefer is instrumental versions of movie songs. Downloads would be great, but CDs would also work.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-11-2009 02:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Identifiable movie tunes are probably out of the question. Anything today's movie going crowd knows is well within the 75 year limit of copyright protection. And even some old movies beyond that age have had certain things done to get the copyrights renewed.

The easiest thing to do (legally) is buy some royalty free music tracks to play. You're probably going to be out about $30 per track or more. When I worked in TV we bought and renewed stock music libraries on a yearly basis to the tune of hundreds of dollars (or more) per library of CDs.

Some computer-based audio-video editing applications have some stock music tracks included.

One way out of this mess is by playing the original movie soundtrack for whatever movie you're playing. I bought the original soundtrack CD for Jurassic Park based on what I heard during the slide show ad run at Northpark #1 in Dallas before the movie started playing.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-11-2009 07:02 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most classical music is royalty=free. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-11-2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Most classical music is royalty=free.
Not really. The score may be PD, but the arrangement and recording are probably not. An exception to this would be pre-1980 (or thereabouts) recordings from the USSR and eastern European countries, which are, if not copyright-free, at least not really owned by anyone.

Production music is probably the best bet here. Note that some production libraries have "buy-out" licenses where you pay once for the records/CDs and can use them as much as you want. This is what you would want. Other production libraries use "needle drop" licenses, where you pay each time you use it.

The cheapest option is probably to buy a yearly ASCAP license, which lets you play any ASCAP recordings in your theatre. Another possibility that I have actually seen done successfully is to have an employee with musical talent compose and record a score written specifically for the theatre.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-11-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sirius and XM radio have a business plan that gives you a public license to re-broadcast their stations.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-12-2009 02:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...what our small circuit uses is this XM/Sirius setup.

Only thing: better have control over the receiver, or just subscribe to certain stations. For if the staff have control over that receiver, they'll be playing what they want to hear (including "F" bomb music) and not caring what should be playing as decent background music (muzak style) for the public.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-12-2009 06:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are services that long predate Sirus/XM for music in public establishments (including, but not limited to Musak [puke] ).

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-12-2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The total fees for Sirius XM are less than the ASCAP/BMI fees are alone. Yes, individual channels can be blocked at time of contract negotiation. Louis

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Back in the day of the Belmont Theatre (1989-1994, Belmont, CA) we never even thought of copyright issues. We used to transfer our favorite LP's to cassette tapes and play them in between movies!

Mike

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know up here you have to pay fees to the performers rights association whether you have any music or not since music in a film is not actually licensed to pay the royalties in the fashion that several pieces of international legislations require
Also having a live performer adds to the yearly license fee cost even if they play only their own creations

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-22-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How things have changed. As late as the early 90s, Chakeres Theatres still used preshow music tapes in their KY and OH drive-ins. The ASCAP fee for this was $10 a year, per theatre.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when we played the French language version of the film "Z" (1969 D: Costa-Gavras) at the KB Baronet the distributor sent a recording of the film music about a month in advance. Otherwise, it was KB policy to play only PD classical music during breaks.

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the XM/Sirius setup. Monte is right about having access to the receiver.We currently only allow the staff to play 3-5 stations out of the ones we receive. There are defiantly some ones that wouldn't be good to play for the general public!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-27-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at the ASCAP licensing site. I guess it has to be so complex to be sure everybody pays for the potential benefit without being screwed excessively.

[ 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 11:33 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: ASCAP and BMI licensing...

I found it incredibly easy and remarkably cheap to license each of their catalogs.

I think I pay a total of $300/year for the right to play any of their stuff, including film scores, etc. That seems a cheap price to pay to be able to play actual music in the lobby/auditorium/&c.

I even worked out a deal with a couple of independent publishers that handle classic film score re-recordings, particularly for old horror and sci-fi scores.

If you really want to go PD, you could check out the production music scene. Sound Dogs is where I go for production music to use in my own ads and film/video work.

-David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: