Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Renting Theaters for Gaming (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Renting Theaters for Gaming
Brandon Henry
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Brandon Henry   Email Brandon Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone has done any renting of theaters after hours for gaming purposes. We have the equipment but I am wondering if there is a licensing issue or legal issues if we run gaming tournaments (I believe we could not offer cash prizes). We are trying to find alternate sources of income and an employee asked if we did anything like this.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to Blockbuster or Hollywood video.

A lot of them in my area have been doing things like this. They give away free rentals or games. You could give away posters.

But if you could work it as a tie-in with them you might be able to score a good place to put up upcoming movie posters (maybe) and you could at least get some ideas.

I'd love to do it myself and (hopefully) clean up on concession.

The problem is the nuisance of policing that many children, rabid with video game fever. As well as wiring because the console has to be in the auditorium and the projector up in the booth.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 04:21 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few theaters in my area have been having a once a month
comedy show with some of the areas comedians..Not sure if it's popular or not though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IN our small circuit in one of our plexes, we had a regular FRI night "Xbox, HALO2" game night (using small dig projectors in the four houses, and I had the sound hooked up to our processors and the four XBOX units were networked together), with permission from MICROSOFT to do such of an afterhours presentation.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered how Gears 2 would look on those brand new silver screens of ours......

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that "Halo 2" looked good (even though our cheap projectors only had a 300:1 contrast ratio - made the image look kinda "blah..")filling up our 15 foot high screens in the flat masking tabs. Projectors were placed in the middle of the auditorium connected to the game system.

Plus, along with great sound - only left/right sound since I had to do an "A/B'd" switch with with the non-sync - If I had the CP500's for our processors, then I could matrix the sound to come out of all 5 full range channels doing a custom non-sync format assigned to "61".

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 11:48 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article in one of the local papers regarding this.

The author and a group of his friends rented one of the screens at one of the Googleplexes and were playing Rock Band.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-07-2009 01:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and "Rockband" is wicked on the big screen - people play that for hours...

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2009 10:52 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've rented our entire 16-screen complex to Microsoft on a number of occasions. They provided all of the Xbox hardware.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was managing a single screener in upper Iowa we rented out the theatre for gaming and the customers brought their own equipment and ran it through our computer and pre-show projector. It's a profitable venture as the gaming industry is now a multi-billion dollar business.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 08:04 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would like to explore this type of use for the theatre. Who do you contact in the community to start setting up something like this?

Do you get a merchant to work with you? Big chain or local store?

Sounds like this could be just plain fun!

KEN

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the equipment to attach the gaming devices to Ken just let the public know that the theatre is available for parties and contests and invite them to bring their own equipment. Equipment and games can also be rented from local video stores.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've done similar events in the past.

Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles can remain in the booth in most cases. Controller range is actually pretty decent. We usually end up running via component video, as HDCP has become an issue.

The on-screen image is very good, and we have a DMA-8 in a roll around rack to decode PCM 6 channel.

One event at our theater utilized 8 xbox 360 consoles all networked together in 2 auditoriums. They placed 3 small video projectors and screens in each of the auditoriums, with the main screen being used as well. After getting the controllers all linked to their respective boxes, there were no problems. I believe they played Halo3.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. How would the economic model for this work? Charge parties $xx per hour per screen? Unlimited people per screen? (After all, pretty much only one person, perhaps up to 4, can play on the screen at the same time, right? The rest would just be watching or waiting their turn)

How much would be appropiate? Is personnel's cost for concession justified during those events?

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 05:09 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a single screen theatre, I would treat it like any other off use or alternative content rental. $300-$500 per 3-5 hours with 2-3 staff if they want full service with use of our projector and sound, with someone in the booth the entire time to monitor/fix things. $200-300 if they bring all their own equipment and don't require to hook into equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: