Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Mark Cuban buys interest in Carmike (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mark Cuban buys interest in Carmike
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2008 10:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Associated Press via Business Week:

quote:

Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team and co-owner of the Landmark Theaters cinema chain, has acquired a 9.4 percent stake in Carmike Cinemas Inc., according to a regulatory filing on Monday.

In the Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Cuban reported buying 1.2 million Carmike shares on the open market for roughly $2.8 million of his own funds. According to the filing, Cuban has been acquiring the shares through his personal investment account since mid-October.

Cuban, who has been controversial within the National Basketball Association -- racking up more than $1 million in fines for his behavior on the court -- has recently become the target of civil lawsuit alleging insider trading.

In November, federal regulators accused Cuban of using confidential information to bail out of an investment in search-engine company Mamma.com Inc. in 2004, avoiding about $750,000 in losses. Cuban has denied any wrongdoing.

Cuban is not facing jail time, but could be forced to pay a penalty of close to $3 million if he is found guilty.

According to the SEC's case, Cuban told his broker to sell his Mamma.com shares after the company's then-chief executive confidentially told him of a stock offering that would dilute the value of stock held by current investors.

Cuban owned a 6.3 percent stake in Mamma.com at that time and was the largest-known shareholder in the search-engine company. The Montreal-based company changed its name to Copernic Inc. in 2007 although the Web site remains known as Mamma.com.

In Monday's SEC filing, Cuban said he acquired his stake in Columbus, Ga.-based Carmike for investment purposes. He reserved his right to discuss the company's performance and strategic direction with Carmike's stockholders, officers or directors.

Cuban co-owns movie theater chain Landmark Theatres with Todd Wagner, who was his co-founder of the pioneering online audio streamer Audionet. The service, later named Broadcast.com, was sold by Cuban and Wagner to Yahoo! in 1999.

The Wagner/Cuban Cos. also include distribution company Magnolia Pictures, production company 2929 Productions, and high definition cable networks HDNet and HDNet Movies.

Carmike shares rose 29 cents to close at $2.32 Monday, after trading as low as $1.68 earlier in the session. The stock has traded between $1.37 and $11.37 during the past 52 weeks.

Does anyone know the real story here?

Personally, I wish that he'd put some money into Landmark before buying another chain....

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-30-2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the news about this yesterday morning on CNBC. Cuban bought a significant stake in Carmike, but not nearly enough to control the company. I'm wondering if it is enough to get him a seat on the board of directors.

I'm not sure just what to think about the stock purchase in terms of strategy. Cuban wouldn't merely be buying into the company because he thought the stock would be a good performer in the near or long term. There has to be another angle.

One angle could be a Carmike buyout or mere affiliation with Landmark Theatres. Most of the screens in Carmike's circuit are in small cities and towns. Landmark isn't a big chain, but has locations in some major cities.

The more obvious angle is a content distribution deal. Carmike still has, by far, the most digital cinema equipped movie theater screens out of any theater chain. We know how much Cuban likes digital cinema. Cuban also likes the idea of alternative means of distributing movies -like the pretty weird day and date strategy of putting movies on DVD, cable TV and movie theaters at the same time. If I can watch a movie like Splinter for next to nothing on HD Net Movies why would I pay a bunch of money to see it in the theater?

At any rate, it's difficult for independent movie productions to get on lots of movie theater screens. Carmike has a lot of screens that may be available to show 2929 Productions content. OTOH, it costs a lot to market movies too -especially to reach customers in smaller cities and towns like Carmike serves. Independent movies often do not do well at all in towns like Lawton, OK. Perhaps if enough people had HD Net and HD Net Movies and saw enough commercials for an upcoming flick they might go see it at the local Carmike. But that's only if the Carmike location is their only choice to see it. If small town viewers can stay planted on their butts in their living room and watch the same movie day and date on HD Net Movies they're just going to stay home.

Like I said, I'm not sure what to think about the strategy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2008 07:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He also owns a number of Imax sites

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-31-2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If 2.8 Million buys 9.4%, then Carmike is worth $29,780,000 . . . . . . . not that much! Louis

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 11:32 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, I was just thinking the same thing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't give you a dime for any of Carmike! HE wolda been better off buying National Amusements.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-31-2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that would cost REAL money (reputed $1b) Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2008 01:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an interesting tidbit about Sumners losses and its all because of CBS and hiz other looser media company Viacom. These two contributed the biggest part of the loss. He was also written up in the In Pictures: America's 25 Biggest Billionaire Losers .... He had to put National Amusements on the block to pay the banks because of the billions in Media losses. All I can say is he deserves what he's got comming!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-31-2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time Warner Cable is set to ditch all the Viacom cable channels, possibly as soon as Jan 1. Viacom is wanting a price hike on the order of around 25¢ per month per customer from Time Warner.

With the economy in the toilet it's not exactly a great time to demand price hikes. A lot of cable/satellite TV customers who are not under contract are going to be tempted to cancel their pay TV service. A big price hike makes customer cancellations even more likely.

I still have just over a year to go under my current Dish Network contract. Word is E* is going to jack up their prices in February -or at least raise prices on new customers and increase prices for those who want to re-up to get more HD channels. I may just stick with my current DishHD "Absolute" package even if I don't get anymore HD channels added and then give E* the boot once my contract expires.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here in Dallas, Charter and our local ABC affiliate are going separate ways.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is bad, in my opinion. Cuban is in favor of Day-And-Date DVD releasing.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 07:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always considered Cuban to be a certifiable nutcase. He just wasting his time and money.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-31-2008 09:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Aaron is right about this. He hasn't exactly done much of anything with Landmark.

quote: Bobby Henderson

With the economy in the toilet it's not exactly a great time to demand price hikes. A lot of cable/satellite TV customers who are not under contract are going to be tempted to cancel their pay TV service. A big price hike makes customer cancellations even more likely.

True, but the cable companies are likely to cash in when/if the digital TV transition happens (currently scheduled for February). Customers who can't figure out how to use converter boxers, can't get good reception of the digital channels, or are simply misinformed will at least consider the possibility of subscribing to cable service.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-01-2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, all it will take to blow the stupid cable companies out of the water on that one is informing viewers on what they can do for receiving HDTV over the air. You do NOT need cable or satellite in order to receive great quality HD.

I have an old-assed half-broken from severe storms outside antenna that still receives all the channels in my TV viewing market. And I get the ABC affiliate OTA in HD with no problem. And it looks better in quality than anything I see via satellite.

The ABC affiliate is here in Lawton. But I still get the analog signals for NBC, CBS and FOX in Wichita Falls (over 50 miles away) over the same antenna. There's nothing special about that antenna. It isn't "digital" optimized or anything like that. I suspect when the Wichita Falls stations start broadcasting in HD at full power (sometime in January) I'll be able to pick up those HD channels OTA as well.

If I have any trouble receiving those channels I can spend a little money on a new antenna and end up getting even more HD channels over the air. I know a few people who can get all of the HD OTA channels from Oklahoma City as well as the Lawton, OK and Wichita Falls, TX market from an antenna here in Lawton.

With HDTV over the air, you pretty much either get it or you don't. When the signal comes in at a satisfactory level it looks every bit as good or even better than anything cable provides. The bit rate is better for one thing.

Carriers like Time Warner, Dish Network, Comcast, etc. need to think about that as do multimedia companies like Viacom, Rainbow and various others. Digital technology is giving viewers more and more options. I could ditch all of my satellite TV service and still see much of what I was missing via Hulu.com, Bit torrent downloads and other alternatives.

Cable TV providers and programmers do not have the same level of bargaining power they had years ago. They would be wise not to piss off their customer base. People like me will only be too happy to inform customers how they can do without cable.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it kind of obvious that the people that are willing to spend the money for HD televisions and likely the sound system to go with them are also going to have cable or dish service? I just can't see too many houses with HD sets that would be happy with the 8 HD channels they can get over the air. At some point you're gonna need your Rescue Me fix. My cable company just added 10 more channels to my HD package. I would be able to get none of those channels over the air.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: