Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Delgo: how did it get such wide distribution?

Author Topic: Delgo: how did it get such wide distribution?
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2008 02:26 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.marketingmovies.net/news/delgo-flop-highlights-risks-for-outsiders/

quote:
A tech-industry tycoon thought that he saw a void in the children’s animation movie business and stepped up with his own $40 million production of Delgo. It’s sounds like the start of a fairy tale story, but this one has an unhappy ending. Delgo – which was reportedly supported by a $20 million theatrical marketing campaign – is one of the all-time bombs at the box office.
How did a movie like this get so many theaters to show this? Even the trailer doesn't look good.

quote:
he animated fantasy, with celebrity voices of Jennifer Love Hewitt and Val Kilmer, grossed just $511,920 over the weekend at 2,160 theaters, for an abysmal $237 per theater. Bad is usually considered $1,000 per theater for a wide release. Freestyle Releasing was the distributor.
Any feedback on this movie and its performance from our fellow Film-Techers?

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2008 04:09 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had it one week.
Despite the claims of an ad campaign, almost none of our customers had ever heard of it.
None of our staff saw it either.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its one thing to get a distributor, however its entirely another to get the exposure needed to support a wide distribution.
Ive never even heard of the distributor they used.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-30-2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw any ads for this either and before walking by it I had assumed it was some indie film.

And if THAT kind of animation is what you get for $40 million then someone got way overpaid. It didn't look all that much better to me than Antz, which came out 10 years ago.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-30-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? [Wink]

quote:
Synopsis: With its feature DELGO, Fathom Studios is looking to be the indie answer to Pixar.
ROTFLMAO [Big Grin]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 09:37 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fathom Studios is in Atlanta.

We ran it for one week. Most of the shows that I ran were to an empty house.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We too ran it for only one week. As for advertisement, only because I love getting up early on Saturday morning for cartoons did I see any advertisement. During the Saturday morning cartoons the week it came out their was a commercial for it at every break and on multiple channels. Still not good enough. I also had it on all my Kids Movies (2 Madagascar, 2 bolt, + a couple of other PG's that I can't remember right now). I had been running the previews for at least 1 1/2 months prior. And still nothing in our small town. Our GM thought it was about faries that were "Faries" wink wink ... and from what I heard about it she was not far off.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2009 08:04 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It flopped because the Character
Design were Ugly looking!!!! [thumbsdown]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fairies that were fairies? Huh?

It just seemed mediocre in every way. Too bad, considering all the voice talent involved, and a terrible farewell to Anne Bancroft.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2009 01:21 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Seo
Fairies that were fairies? Huh?
Ok Some of the boy fairies liked other boy Fairies... Does that clear up the "Huh?" Mind you I now live in the great Mid West where nearly every one is a little intolerant of "Fairies" and that is putting it politely.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2009 02:03 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must've missed those bits when I ran it. I'm sure any flap over gay characters was the least of its problems.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2009 12:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and I got in trouble with mgmt people after I put it together AND marked the play sheet for the console that the print didn't have discs for DTS playback...to play it in SR optical

..and they called the depot to send the discs for this movie.. [Eek!] (uh, no timecode is on this release...had to explain it to them [Roll Eyes] )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: