Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal to buy up National Amusements? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal to buy up National Amusements?
Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal sees Natl Amusements as tough sell

By Jui Chakravorty Das and Sue Zeidler NEW YORK, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Regal Entertainment Group (RGC.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) would look at the assets of rival movie theater chain National Amusements Inc if Sumner Redstone put them up for sale, but tight credit markets could make it a tough sell, Regal's chief executive said on Wednesday.

Analysts and media reports have said that Redstone, who is chairman of National Amusements, may consider selling its 1,500-screen cinema chain to raise money to meet debt obligations.

"Certainly, their domestic assets are complementary and contiguous to markets that we already operate in, so from a geographic standpoint I think there's certainly a fit there," Regal CEO Mike Campbell told the Reuters Media Summit.

While Regal, the largest U.S. cinema chain with more than 6,700 screens, looks at every asset that goes up for sale, Campbell noted that limited access to credit in current markets would make any acquisition difficult, even though company valuations are attractively low.

"The same lending markets that may be creating the opportunities creates a barrier for potential acquirers, whether it's National Amusements or anybody else out there today," Campbell said.

"There would have to be some affordable financing in the market out there and that just isn't happening today," he said.

Redstone this week sold his stake in video game company Midway Games Inc (MWY.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) as pressure mounts on the media mogul to bolster the finances of National Amusements, his main investment vehicle. National Amusements also owns stakes in media companies Viacom Inc (VIAb.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and CBS Corp (CBS.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz).

Analysts have valued the National Amusements movie chain at about $500 million to $700 million. But for a company seeking to refinance $800 million in bank loans that are due in December, possible buyers will likely low-ball their offers, considering the process a fire sale.

Some media reports have also said that Redstone considers the value of the chain to be about $1 billion, including the property on which the theaters are built.

Asked about National Amusements on a Nov. 10 conference call, another competitor, Cinemark Holdings Inc (CNK.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), said it has the ability and would consider takeovers based on price and the quality of theaters that become available.

"There potentially are acquisition opportunities out there, and we'll just have to weed through those as the time -- as they present themselves," Cinemark Chief Executive Alan Stock Stock said on the call.

Campbell said Regal would have to access the credit markets for a deal of National Amusements' size. Even if a company did have the cash, it might be prudent to hold on to it amid the weak economy and uncertain markets, he said.

While downtrodden stock prices do make assets attractive, frozen credit markets would likely hamper industry consolidation

"I can't imagine there would be a bidding war. The bigger challenge would be finding buyers, period," Campbell said.

Regal last spring acquired Consolidated Theaters, a Charlotte, North Carolina-based regional chain that operates 28 theaters with 400 screens for about $210 million. Regal had outstanding debt of $2 billion at the end of the third quarter.

Standard & Poor's placed Regal on a negative credit watch last week because of debt accumulated in past acquisitions.

"In this particular climate, I think it's just tougher to rationalize any deal today," Campbell said.

If this deal were to occur, it would be quite the coups for Regal. They've had a tough time breaking into the Northeast, and were never able to make a huge dent when they took over the Hoyts theaters, since National Amusements has such a tight grip on the region. I however don't see this happening for a number of reasons. NA owns all their own buildings and properties, and Regal generally doesn't deal with real estate. Also, although National Amusements does have some very nice theaters in the Connecticut and Massachusetts area, they also have a lot of dumps that have been operating for 15+ years now and aren't exactly in the best of shape. I could maybe see Regal cherry picking a couple of National Amusements nicer locations, and maybe a few strategic ones that eat into the attendance of REG buildings so they can shut them down, but I don't think it would really make any sense for them to buy the company.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2008 04:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael McGovern
Regal had outstanding debt of $2 billion at the end of the third quarter.

Holy Christ!

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2008 08:40 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they should look into credit counseling!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-06-2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no...they should "drive" down to DC and go to congress...they are handing out billions and billions! Get your Billions today!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..from an earlier post in which they should concentrate getting this paid down..

quote:
Regal has a mountain of debt, close to $2 billion. While it's not coming due until 2011--
And if Int Amuse have dying shoebox houses, those will definitely put the hurt on REG.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-06-2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal seem to have a lot of faith in the motion picture exhibition business. Just in Hawaii alone, the company's plan includes the opening of a brand new all digital multiplex at Kapolei in late 2009 and the conversation of one of their largest theatre at their Dole Cannery 18 to show 2-D and 3-D Digital IMAX movies as I had announced yesterday on another thread.

-Claude

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that NA may break up and sale off a portion of the company as a whole or maybe piece by piece. All the district position have been eliminated from my understanding.

They have replaced a fair amount of the old shotgun houses with Cinema Deluxes or new Stadium Showcases in the Greater Cincinnati area. I heard Cinemark mentioned as a interested party.

I guess time will tell.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would Regal also buy the NA theatres operating outside the USA? Showcase have been expanding the Cinema De Luxe brand in the UK recently.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Redstone's Viacom holdings are actually held by National Amusements, which is held by Redstone. So NA is in the dual position of being both a movie chain as well as a holding company Redstone's shares of Viacom/CBS.

As a result, you'll see weird things happening with dividing things up and breakups and soforth. Because there's basically no chance that someone buying the chain would be buying Redstone's controlling interest in Viacom/CBS.

--jhawk

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work for Mr. Redstone. While he isn't that nice of a guy, he is a brilliant businessman.

When I worked for him, I did not get paid very much. But I do miss working there sometimes. Some of my fondest theatre memories are of when I worked In Cincinnati at Showcase.

Some of the nicest people I know work (and worked) for National Amusements.

From a customer perspective it was (and maybe still is) a First Class Entertainment company.

With these harsh economic times and hearing that they may sell off some (or all) of the company - that day will be a sad day in the theatre industry. For Sure.

[Frown]

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Would Regal also buy the NA theatres operating outside the USA? Showcase have been expanding the Cinema De Luxe brand in the UK recently.
Regal has zero interest in operating internationally. They have enough problems now with their American operations to worry about.

My guess of what will come of this mess is that Regal will the first picks of all the top grossing locations (Mostly the Cinema Deluxe places) they want and will convert them over to REG theaters, along with the ones they want to close that impact REG locations. Whatever is left after that will be divvied up by Cinemark who will probably buy whatever they can get in the markets they operate in, and maybe a smaller company like Bow Tie who would likely have interest in the CT and NY locations Regal doesn't want.

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now hear they may look to keep some of the East Coast location, the ones they have in Europe and the Bridge in LA.

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2009 11:53 AM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKN1846777620090218

Looks like they've finally gotten around to unloading most of their theatres. I imagine that Cinemark will pick up most, if not all of these theatres, as Regal can't even finance the Real-D projectors they want for their locations, let alone buy out another company.

Jeff Lacey
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 06:23 AM      Profile for Jeff Lacey   Email Jeff Lacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumors abound, but it sounds like Rave is purchasing 35 of NA's locations.

There are a number of sites on the web that are spreading the rumor, but of course no official announcement has been made yet...

But if you can believe wikipedia , its on there as well...

quote:
National Amusements has sold 35 theaters to Rave Motion Pictures. The locations included in the sale are:

The Bridge 18 - Los Angeles, CA

Showcase Buckland Hills 16 - Manchester, CT

Cinema De Lux Connecticut Post 14 - Milford, CT

Showcase North Haven 12 - North Haven, CT

Enfield 12 - Enfield, CT

Showcase Berlin 12 - Kensington, CT

Showcase Southington 12 - Southington, CT

Showcase Davenport 53 18 - Davenport, IA

Cinema De Lux Stonybrook 20 + IMAX - Louisville, KY

Cinema De Lux Preston Crossings 16 - Okolona, KY

Cinema De Lux Florence 14 - Florence, KY

Showcase West Springfield 15 - West Springfield, MA

Showcase Eastfield Mall 16 - Springfield, MA

Showcase Ann Arbor 20 - Ypsilanti, MI

Showcase Flint West 14 - Flint, MI

Showcase at the Ritz Center 16 - Voorhees, NJ

Multiplex Hazlett 12 - Hazlett, NJ

Cinema De Lux Franklin Park 16 - Toledo, OH

Cinema De Lux The Greene 14 - Beavercreek, OH

Showcase Milford 16 - Milford, OH

Cinema De Lux Springdale 18 - Springdale, OH

Showcase Dayton South 16 - West Carrollton, OH

Cinema De Lux Maumee 18 - Maumee, OH

Showcase Huber Heights 16 - Huber Heights, OH

Showcase Western Hills 14 - Cincinnati, OH

Showcase Levis Commons 12 - Perrysburg, OH

Showcase Kings Island 12 - Mason, OH

Showcase Fallen Timbers 14 - Maumee, OH

Showcase Cincinnati Mills 10 - Cincinnati, OH

The Bridge 6 - Philadelphia, PA

Showcase Pittsburgh North 11 - Pittsburgh, PA

Showcase Pittsburgh West 12 - Pittsburgh, PA

Cinema De Lux Fairfax Corner 14 - Fairfax, VA

Multiplex Centreville 12 - Centreville, VA

Multiplex Reston 13 - Reston, VA

This change will go into effect January 10th according to management in Toledo, OH.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showcase sold their unbuilt Cinema De Lux Westfield London site and Showcase Wood Green (also in London) to my former company vue. My guess is NA will dispose of some more sites in the UK. However it would be nuts to lose a cinema like Showcase Bluewater which is one of the highest-grossing in the country.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: