Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal or "Mom & Pop"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal or "Mom & Pop"?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-03-2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quetion:

Which would you rather refer a new student projectionist to when he goes to apply for a summer job out of college? A Regal Megaplex or a Mom and Pop theater? Why?

Story:

Every year when the new Freshmen come to Mercyhurst, we get fresh crop of Work Study students to work in the theater. Some work on the stage as stagehends, etc. Some work in the office answering phones and being ushers. Then I get a few likely candidates to work in the booth.

For the first semester, I just tell the Freshmen to sit and watch movies. (They "monitor" the projector. [Wink] ) The upper classmen operate and handle film. After the first semester, I see who washes out and who gets to stay. The washouts can either go back to being stagehands and users or they can "fade away" to parts unknown. (That's kinda' the way Work Study operates. [Roll Eyes] )

After the first semester, when they come back from Thanksgiving, I always float the same proposal.

If they:

1) Do a good job in the booth for me. If they can thread the projector, run the movie and build/break the prints.

2) If they can operate the booth without needing me to come help them all the time or having to prod them to do their job.

3) If they want to try for a summer job in a movie theater.

Then I'll write them a letter of recommendation, telling their prospective employer what they can do.

So... I've got a Freshman who thinks he might want to try for a job in his hometown this summer. He lives in Youngstown, OH. or nearabouts. He tells me that there are two theaters near his town. There's a Regal multiplex and there's a two or three screen Mom and Pop operation.

I think I'm going to steer him to the Mom & Pop. He'd learn more about film and taking responsibility for his job at the small theater. On the other hand, working at the Regal might be more fun for a college student on summer break. He just doesn't stand a chance to learn so much about the job. He might end up being a lacky.

Which would you recommend? How come?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-03-2008 01:57 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of assumptions go into my answer, but I would gamble on the mom and pop because he is more likely to learn things in a situation in which things are more likely to go wrong. The school of hard knocks, as it were.

On the other hand, if he really wants to work as a chain projectionists, sending him to Regal would a) give him requisite experience; b) probably quash that dream;>

Either way, you'll probably have to break him of some newly acquired bad habits when he gets back.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he ends up at Regal, he'll have to be a manager as well as a projectionist. A "manager/operator." No such thing as a projectionist at Regal anymore. So that is something for him to think about.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-03-2008 05:15 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Write two letters of recommendation (one for each; hooray for computers) and give him some decent advice on how to choose, but give him the flexibility to go to either/or (or both) as circumstances merit.

Then, when the theatre manager sees this thread on Film-Tech, he can smile [Smile]

--jhawk

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2008 05:32 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My inclination would be to send him to Mom and Pop. That's only because of what I have witnessed with Regal, at least in my area.

Several cases in point. I've seen several people who worked for me go on to Regal jobs where they did well, but were somewhat unhappy about the way the chain did things as opposed to the way I taught them. And yes, they had to enter management.

In another instance, I had a top-notch guy who I trained and who worked for me for several years until financial and personal circumstances forced him to move to another state. He applied at a Regal and listed me as a reference. When the Manager of the location where he applied asked me to comment about him, I told him about his expertise, and I was told: "Well, he'll have to start on the floor." Well, that "floored" me, since I know this guy probably knew more about projection than the employees at that site. (Yeah, I know, that's an assumption)

Be that as it may, why would you ever take a well trained person with a great work record and start him on the floor? Because you have to do things "the corporate way"?

Randy, I tend to think that the kid would be better utilized at a Mom and Pop operation. They tend to be more hands on, IMHO.
Of course, circumstances do varry.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2008 05:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say, send him to Mom and Pop. Based on my experience here, there may be a better chance he'll keep the job longer.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-03-2008 06:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do "mom & pops" (god I hate that term) have enough screens to require a projectionist? I bet a "mom & pop" (god I hate that term) would be more boring to work for, as there would be less to do. But Regal would be more frustrating with their micromanaging.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I echo Joe's comment.
I am a "mom & pop" and there is no way I could afford to have a dedicated projectionist.
I do have assistant managers that work on our days off, and they do the films as well. Although they could handle minor film or projection issues, I wouldn't call them projectionists.

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been previously stated, Regal does not have "projectionists", projection work is included within the scope of management. Regal also has some extremely high standards for management applicants, the first being 2 years of previous supervisory experience or a college degree as a requirement. If you don't fit into either one of those 2 categories, you'll be denied before you even get to the background check, and even if you make it to the background check, there's a laundry list of various reasons they'll deny you based on that as well. I would recommend the independent theater to anyone any day, as Regal doesn't pay peanuts for the amount of work they expect from you, and the high levels of stress put on you by corporate.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-03-2008 10:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not both? Wouldn't he learn more by experiencing both types of operations? Besides, the mom-and-pop (unless it's a multiplex or seasonal operation) probably doesn't have enough empty shifts to give him a full-time summer job.

Alternatively, pick the one with the better head operator.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-04-2008 12:30 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The previous supervisory experience and college degree requirements apply to house and general managers. Part time assistant manager and projection applicants need only be 18 years of age, capable of heavy lifting, and kiss ass for between 6 months and 2 years.

If you speak with anyone at Regal's head office, you'll find that they have a pretty good attitude regarding projection. Unfortunately, this is filtered out via regional VPs, District Managers, and General Managers who couldn't care less about on screen quality. I've worked with managers who were excellent partners in regards to booth operations, and others who said that projectionists were just lazy button pushers (her exact words!), so your millage may very.

I now work for an independant theatre, and I must say that I LOVE the freedom and flexability I have. I program my own trailer packs, I pick the non sync, I answer directly to the board of directors, and I have a great deal more control over the shows. I also make much more than Regal payed me as a Surpervising Booth Manager or an IMAX operator.

But the down side is that I wind up having to do a lot of stuff people would consider "tech" work. There is no one on staff to train me, or help me troubleshoot my equiptment. I rely a lot on previous experience, reading service manuals, and consulting with other industry professionals. I would not be able to survive this without the knowledge I picked up at Regal and from these forums.

Additionally, Regal taught me about how to behave in a corporate environment. I came in very cocky, convinced I'd be running the booth within 6 months. Because of my attitude it took me 2 years to humble myself, and learn to keep my ego in check. I'm really glad I learned this at Regal reather than at a more prominent job where my long term reputation could have been impacted.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on where your friend is in life.
Regal is a fine place to learn the trade, and start your career. It's an excellent first job. However, if your exceptionally talented, there is a lot more out there than what they can offer.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-04-2008 04:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
Ultimately, I guess it depends on where your friend is in life
..and I agree with Mike on this one.

Speaking of my experiences with all the tonnage of years that I' ve put into this industry is that I began with an "Indie" owner of a drive-in and stayed with him for 5 years.

Yet, in these 5 years, I learned all about what organization and operational systems were, for this owner knew every inch about the theatre business as a whole. Everything had its place from how the money laid in the cash drawer, to where the pliers are to be placed underneath the lamphouses when carbons were needed to be changed. Even the booth toolbox - all the tools that were in that toolbox belonged to that toolbox when finished being used.

After I left him, I went to another "Indie" house, but this time, the operational procedures were totally opposite (and unfortunately, it seems that the majority of the indie operations in those days followed this same procedure) being that: utter chaos was abundant-know one knew really how to do thing in a certain manner. The word "Organization' was unheard of along with the word "Cleanliness." The owner paid his employees out of the til - no actual paperwork was filled out. Owner cheats on his film rentals, paying his bills, uses the place to his benefit, rude to customers to where at the end, he prob still wonders why his theatre was starting to struggle in operation to where it succumbed to an arsonist torch.

Two more years of working in "indie" houses, then on to the circuits and joining the IA. Here is where I was very thankful that I learned what I did at the drive-in years before. The Union booth operators weren't doing half that I was taught and I brought my knowledge to where I eventually became Chief Projectionst for this one circuit and eventually graduated up to Xenons, platters and Cinemeccanicas.

-then on to EDWARDS (the good ol' Jim EDWARDS Sr. theatres before the REG takeover) and grew to Presentation Mgr and Engineer with this company.

In short, I'm gonna swing my vote for this individual to swing towards REG, for as what Mike O has mentioned about being taught, I full agree that working in circuits is where they really teach you all about organization and systems - to get that one individual ready for the "real' world out there called the workforce.

True, "mom and pop" theatres are truly fun to work at since you know that these owners are having fun themselves. And if it's fun to do, then it's not work, or to put it plainly - a job. But, does an individual who works at a fun job, is he really getting prepped in accepting what's really out there? Is he really getting prepped to survive the cruel world out there?

Thus "Ultimately, I guess it depends on where your friend is in life" holds true.

-Monte

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-04-2008 06:21 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could say I run a "mom and pop" operation. It's a 5 screen theatre not affiliated with any chains. I would love to have someone with that training on my staff as it would free me to focus on other things knowing the projection room was taken care of. However, labor constraints simply would not allow me to have a dedicated projectionist. In order for me to hire a person like this they would also have to be willing and able to work downstairs.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-04-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal job will give him a more realistic taste of what jobs are about. He'll have to work with more people, deal with the corporate bullshit, projection experience will be more like the real world and possibly get exposure to digital equipment. With the "mom and pop" he'll work with historic likely dilapidated equipment, work with relatively few people, deal with mom and pop, not going to get any of the digital exposure he'll need and probably lower pay.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-04-2008 01:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
In order for me to hire a person like this they would also have to be willing and able to work downstairs.

...Yet, don't cry "uncle" with this attitude. There are people are out there that have such these qualities. Just that the "tact" has to be there to convince them of your procedures and you can get that person to do anything.

You don't need to "knock" them completely out of their world, but "invite" them into yours - to be a part of your "family".

Amazing how that works... - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: