Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Film Booking

Author Topic: Film Booking
Tim Massett
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Tim Massett   Email Tim Massett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I was employed recently to put together a twin cinema that will solely screen "art" work which would include the work from specialty divisions for the meat and potatoes of the operation. The proposed location is less than a mile away from a Marcus 10 theatre where on occasion they screen work such as this. Right now, they are running FLOW a super tiny film. I am curious if my proximity to this location would prevent me from booking films from say Sony Pictures Classics such as Synechode,New York.
Thanks for your time,
Tim

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With any bookings, a city is seen as wide or an expansion market. If its not a big city a distributor needs to be cost efficient with prints. If you're only going to be showing limited art flicks, you might be better off than a larger plex with getting movies that aren't on a lot of screens.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-22-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short answer is no. Long answer is much more complicated.
SPC or any other distributor is going to put the films where they think they will do best, even if they are consistently proven wrong. As you are just starting out, you will have to develop a relationship with all of the distribs (or hire a booker who already has said relationships).
I've been doing this for 23 years, so if you'd like to talk about specifics and horror stories off list feel free to email or call

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: