Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Hoodies in the theater, yes - no?

Author Topic: Hoodies in the theater, yes - no?
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the cold weather is upon us, the kids will wear their hoodies until spring, just like flannel underwear [Smile]

I had an incident last week where a lady came out from a theater and complained that there were a group of kids with their hoods up and she felt intimidated. To quote her, "They look like a bunch of Grim Reapers". She wanted out of the theater. I let her move to another theater to satisfy her.

Also there have been reports of kids with video cameras strapped to their heads under the hoods.

What are your collective policies? Hoods up or down???

Louis

[ 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Louis Belloisy ]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 01:41 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same woman would probably have complained if the kids had blue hair or mohawks or lip piercings. If you tried to ban hoodies here, you'd be eliminating half your paid customers.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David, we do not want to eliminate hoodies, just get them to put the hoods down, its theater etiquette as far as i am concerned. If they do that, then there would be no problem. I was just wondering how everyone else is handling this situation.

thanks,

lou

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll obviously feel you shouldn't care if their hood is up or not.

I'm completely with David on this. I've known cops who've had to waste their time checking things out because a woman called 911 to say that she saw a gang in front of a neighbor's house only to find it was the neighbor's kid standing in his driveway with his friends from school. The old bag didn't understand that a group of teenagers is not a gang.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoodies are so mainstream now that stores like Penneys and Macys have big posters up in the mall advertising hoodies with slogans like "I Am Your Hoodie".

Unless you have sloped floors and the hood is high enough to obstruct someone's view (and the place is very full so seating options are limited), I guess I don't see an issue. Unless there is in fact a camera in there. [Wink] [Shrug]

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think there's anything you can or should do about it. For the vast majority of kids in hoodies it's probably just a hoodie and nothing more.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe have a "no hats" rule and include hoodies!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 11:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -  -

Easily fixed. [Razz]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are sitting in the top row of a stadium auditorum, you cant watch a movie wearing a hoodie without straining you neck. Problem solved. The only issue is wheather or not to ban hoodies in your lobby.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 04:23 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First don't let them use the stupid name of hoodies...they are sweat shirts with hoods.
Yeah, I'm old.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-25-2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a kid and I own about 4 'hoodies' (yes, hoodies!). There is no need to have the 'hood' up if you're in a theater, unless for some reason your heat isn't working... >.> They are like hats, if you have a no hat policy, then hoodies would be included with that, if not then you can't really tell someone not to put their hood up. That's just my opinion though... [thumbsup]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-26-2008 05:02 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got so many other things to deal with that it seems pointless to me to try and enforce any kind of dress code - aside from shirt and shoes.

I can see enforcing a dress code if you're in a location that has problems with gangs or something - especially if you have to have security at the front door to begin with. But for the average multiplex, it just doesn't seem practical.

The other problem is theatres are already having to deal with attrition due to home theatre systems and short DVD release windows. Why would we turn away customers just because they are wearing a hoodie or some other garment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: