Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » One Sheet Time?

Author Topic: One Sheet Time?
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 12:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How far in advance do you put up posters? I just received a special hologram one sheet for Ice Age 3 asking to be put up immediately. It does not release for another 7-8 months...

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 12:29 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have 9 poster cases for coming soon posters so I usually stick to the next 2 months or so. However, during high volume times like the holidays I'll usually display a couple teasers for upcoming tent poles. Especially as we get closer to Christmas because there is so much uncertainty about what we'll play in January.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 12:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Nube question... Tent Poles???

Other than that you are running it the same way I want to. when ever a poster comes down the next one in release date line goes up. right now I am covered through the middle of Dec. I only have six coming soon cases. Now standies and banners I will put up asap as I just put them anywhere I have space. eg. Madagascar 2 has been up for the last four months.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tent poles are the major releases that sort of prop up a studio's release calendar. Generally speaking, tent pole is synonymous with block buster, but a block buster describes the film once it's released.

To use Sony as an example, Quantum of Solace and Seven Pounds would be tent poles. Pictures like Lakeview Terrace, Nick & Norah, The House Bunny, and others are just normal releases.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bigger the movie is (or hopes to be), the sooner I want the poster up. Hence, we've had an Ice Age 3 poster in our lobby since the very first one came out. And people are really excited about that movie too. I would put up a Harry Potter poster if we could get one...are you listening, Warner Bros? We have room (counting outside boxes) for 16 posters so I am usually able to accommodate everything current + some future blockbusters.

If we put up a poster and the movie starts to generate anti-buzz, like what happened last year with Eragon, then we take the poster down until we're sure we're indeed going to play the movie.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 09:11 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Distributors always ask for marketing stuff to be up asap. I had a guy come in from a company once asking me to make a standee up for a film we (and presumably they) knew we weren't even going to show. His response was 'it looks really cool though'.

I think an 8 week window for posters and as soon as for tent-pole standees seems pretty standard. Leave the Ice Age one for a while if you only have six coming soon frames, just looked at the US release schedule and there are loads of big films coming out before then to consider. Or get more poster frames! We have a similar problem so started to put up more banners and standees outside screens, definitely makes the place look better.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they fit, we'll even put a standee inside the auditorium in the back corner under the balcony. Since it's so unusual to have anything sitting back there, they get a lot of attention from people when they are walking out. Most standees are so huge anymore that we haven't been able to put one in that location for a while.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 11:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put up all Fox materials that are eligible for Fox Points immediately.

If your not signed up with the Fox Rewards Program do so. I've been signed up for about 8 years and have redeemed points for all sorts of products ranging from a TV to DVDs. They have many ways to earn points too.

Fox Rewards

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 10:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Weigel
I've been signed up for about 8 years and have redeemed points for all sorts of products ranging from a TV to DVDs.
ya except I won't be the one getting the tv or dvd's...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: