Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Twilight question? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Twilight question?
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many theaters are having midnight showing on thursday night (11/20), including ours.
I am away from the office so I cannot make any calls, but I understand that the film will not be delivered until late tonight (thurs) with scant time for building and forget about proofing.

The film is from Technicolor but will be delivered by FTS (I thought DHL would be delivering until the end of the year).

Does anyone have any further info.

Louis

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a note from Tech saying all deliveries via UPS would be on Wednesdays, and indeed all Tech films since then have been delivered on Wednesday.

We're not playing Twilight yet so I can't answer your question, but I'm surprised if they deviated from their new policy already.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 10:21 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twilight is coming out of Deluxe film services (Gray Boxes) and I got my prints last night at 10:00 pm.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe my old theater, which is playing a 12:01 tonight, got it yesterday. I, however, am not playing it (thankfully). Have fun with a theater full of weird teenage girls dressed as vampires!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running a midnight and so is our sister theatre. We received our prints Wednesday night.

I actually haven't seen this much demand for a midnight movie. We'll often have a good turn out for the major tent poles, but we usually don't sell more than 30%-40% of the tickets until the day of. As of Wednesday night I have already sold about 90% of the tickets.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its indeed going to be grey boxes and delivery will be only scant hours before showing. If they are late, there will be many upset vampires.

Louis

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 02:44 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both prints came in Thursday morning, as usual. (Deluxe)
Same with Bolt (DHL). UPS is taking over Dec. 1.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 05:40 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our digital drives were here on Tuesday but the keys were not good until 9am Thursday. Granted if a drive ingested properly 99% of the time there won't be anything wrong, but its still annoying.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 07:43 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My manager and I were ready to jump off the roof earlier this afternoon. We have 3 screens playing midnights, 3 prints. Our midnights sold out.
Our booth guy finds there is no soundtrack at all on Reel 7 on one of the prints. Not even a DTS timecode.
Deluxe said the nearest depot to us that has a replacement #7 reel is in St. Louis. Estimated time of arrival in Lubbock: Half Past Midnight tonight.
Fortunately the Stars and Stripes has the movie booked, but is not running the midnight. He lent us his #7 reel, which we return to him tomorrow.
Odd fluke...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 08:21 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, your example is the reason why the studios really need to make the effort to get us prints at least by Wednesday. Even without the midnight showing it could have put a pinch in Friday.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 02:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, you are lucky you have a projectionist who had his wits about him -- it's not beyond the pale that some of these splice-jockeys would have just loaded that reel on the platter and missed the missing track. Can you imagine what would happen if you got that far into the film and the sound just went off? You'd be lucky if they left the seat attached to the floor! Screaming teen girls in heat....and ANGRY...it aint a pretty sight. [Big Grin]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 03:58 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know. That's the stuff nightmares are made of.
This never seems to happen to films like The Haunting of Whats-her-face Hartley, where a bad reel would only be annoying.
The replacement reel arrived at 11 PM! We are giving that one to the drive-in so their COMPLETE print will be all new. (After verifying the reel does indeed have a sound track.)

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
Our booth guy finds there is no soundtrack at all on Reel 7
A long time ago, I got a print where the optical track had
been printed BACKWARDS.
(IE: the tail end of the track was printed at the head end of the reel.)

When I first saw it I thought perhaps the sound negative
was just mislabeled, but I threw it up on my sound reader
and it had indeed been printed backwards.

(yet another reason I prefer working without platters- it's easy
to spot check stuff like this)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago, we had a reel where its head was actually what should've been approximately 7-9 minutes into the reel and it played to the end, then at that point it hit the normal beginning of the reel and preceeded to play the first 7-9 minutes and when it got to the end of that it went to the next reel.

They got a replacement pretty quickly though someone could've just torn down the print to get at the respective reel and chop it up into the right order but at that point you wouldn't be sure if there was anything else missing from the reel as it were.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a preview once of "Memphis Belle" and the image on the second to last reel was printed in reverse. All the writing on the screen was, of course, inside out and the image didn't fill the right side of the frame.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: