Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Drek (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Star Drek
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the new Star Trek trailer. Guess the subject line sums up my thoughts. Anyone over the age of 30 (since that's the approximate age you would be if you have any recollection of when Star Trek was good) actually think this has ANY potential?

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 01:47 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, JJ Abrams told reporters that he isn't a fan of Star Trek. His point is that he wants to appeal to other people who aren't Trekkies, but I do like Star Trek. I have only seen the split teaser trailer with X-Files, if I remember correctly, and it didn't give up much (it was a teaser, after all), so I don't know how I feel.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
There are times when a classic can be revisited with enormous success (Dracula/Horror of Dracula), with devastating failure (Gone With The Wind/Scarlett) or with mixed results (Indiana Jones).

Trying to take something and make it into something else...well...isn't that what many of you disliked about Indiana Jones 4? Not only does Abrams appear to lack originality but also common sense. Ever hear Richard Donner tell the story about Brando, Jor-el and the Green Suitcase? We KNOW who these characters are because we watched them on TV forty years ago. Remaking them in the 90210 mold is sacrilege. Bet the writing blows too. Remember how much you hated those pretentious little pricks for the first fifteen minutes of "Cloverfield"? I hated those fuckers so much I hoped the monster would just stomp the whole load of them Bambi-meets-Godzilla style immediately...even if it meant the movie only lasted one reel!

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have hopes but expectations are low.
Enterprise never really did it for me as a Star Trek Series because we all want to see them move forward and see what cool stuff and challenges come. where the history is interesting it may not be that viable as a block buster addition to the franchise. I kinda equate it to climbing a tree. The closer you get to the outside branches and the higher you go the more exciting. the more you travel back to the center and towards the ground the safer you are and their is not as much thrill because you you have moved back from your climax. Getting away from the tree... their is also potential hazards with disappointing the fans by disturbing or even breaking cannon that was set forth from references in the future.
Ok having said all that I return to my original statement. Hopes are high but expectations are low. Besides I always find this approach to be win win. With low expectations your hopes have more room to be high.

kinda like me right now!!! What was I thinking...

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 04:44 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't judge the film by the trailer, especially not these. Usually trailers are not edited or put together by the creative team that works on the movie, they're put together by an outside "trailer house" with entirely different sensibilities.

I really liked Teaser #1, though.

--jhawk

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audience reaction on this trailer (the newest one) was deafening. Of course, it was a crowd of mostly under 30 year olds.

Whatever our opinion is on Star Trek and it being re-vamped yet again - this movie will be huge.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
If this film is huge I am going to submit my screenplay titled "Charles Foster Kane: The Early Years" for consideration.

I assume you were playing that trailer on QOS? I think that title would skew to a slightly older average crowd than the typical release. Were they cheering more at the beginning or the end of the trailer? I am sure they cheered at the beginning of the IJ4 trailer too - and despite the beating it took here that WAS a big moneymaker so maybe I am defeating my own argument.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only way to make a financially successful Star Trek movie these days is to do something that appeals to a larger audience. But I don't think that that goal needs to (or will) conflict with making something the fans will appreciate too.

Reboots are all the rage these days. Whether it's Batman or Bond, or even the Hulk, starting fresh has been met with great success both financially and creatively.

With STAR TREK, we have possibly the best of both worlds (no pun intended). It's a reboot inside of the continuity which we've all known and (mostly) loved for the past 42 years. One of the writers, Roberto Orci, has said on numerous occasions that he is obsessed with continuity, and has a very thorough knowledge of Star Trek's canon. Because of this, my mind is at ease, no matter what I see in the trailer that conflicts with what I know about Star Trek.

And most of what does conflict is merely cosmetic. And let's face facts. As much as we'd all love to see the original bridge of the Enterprise, with all of it's buttons and dials and primary colors, it would take viewers so far out of the movie that it would be a disservice to the story.

What does seem true to the original series are the characters. And once we get past all of our nerdy hangups, like why Bones is on the ship, or why Scotty's uniform is red instead of yellow, that's all that really matters. Right?

I don't know if this thing will make any money. The trailer reaction that I saw was less than enthusiastic. Personally, I thought it was better than Christmas. But I really really hope the movie does well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how long it will be until someone uses "The Reboot" as part of a movie title. As in, "Star Trek: The Reboot."

I think this will do quite well. I has to be better than "Nemesis." That was our worst grossing ST movie ever.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
With STAR TREK, we have possibly the best of both worlds (no pun intended). It's a reboot inside of the continuity which we've all known and (mostly) loved for the past 42 years. One of the writers, Roberto Orci, has said on numerous occasions that he is obsessed with continuity, and has a very thorough knowledge of Star Trek's canon. Because of this, my mind is at ease, no matter what I see in the trailer that conflicts with what I know about Star Trek.

Well if that's the case then they need to mention the fact that Captain Kirk was not the original Captain of the ship he commands. The original commander was Captain Pike.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering when that was going to come up... or if I was missing something.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 01:51 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pike's in the movie. He's played by Bruce Greenwood. He's the guy doing the voice over at the beginning of the trailer, and later on, there's a shot of him. He's the guy saying "Prepare to fire all weapons."

Stuff like that is what puts my mind at ease. These guys know their stuff.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nerd Alert.

And most of what does conflict is merely cosmetic. And let's face facts. As much as we'd all love to see the original bridge of the Enterprise, with all of it's buttons and dials and primary colors, it would take viewers so far out of the movie that it would be a disservice to the story.
THANK YOU! I love Enterprise, and I hate when people complain about this. I mean, really. The show was made in 2003. It's not going to look like it was made in 1966, no matter how long before the 1966 show it takes place. Same goes for this movie.

One of the writers, Roberto Orci, has said on numerous occasions that he is obsessed with continuity, and has a very thorough knowledge of Star Trek's canon.
Then why is he portraying Kirk as the first commander of the Enterprise? That simply is not correct. Period. (Unless I am seriously misunderstanding what I see in the trailer and everything I have heard about the movie for the past two years.)

And once we get past all of our nerdy hangups...
We would not be Star Trek fans without our nerdy hangups.

like why Bones is on the ship, or why Scotty's uniform is red instead of yellow...
Scotty's uniform was red in The Original Series. So where's the hangup? Was he in a different department before he was in engineering? (I'm not a huge TOS nerd, so that may very well be the case and I never knew it.)

quote: Darryl Spicer
Well if that's the case then they need to mention the fact that Captain Kirk was not the original Captain of the ship he commands. The original commander was Captain Pike.
Sorry, you lose. The correct answer is Captain Robert April.

/Nerd Alert.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 02:09 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Then why is he portraying Kirk as the first commander of the Enterprise? That simply is not correct. Period. (Unless I am seriously misunderstanding what I see in the trailer and everything I have heard about the movie for the past two years.)
As mentioned above, Pike is in the movie.

Gene Roddenberry disagrees. Though I'm not sure why.

Hint: Roddenberry and Paramount choose to ignore the animated series as not being so-called official canon.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The character's only appearance is in the Star Trek: The Animated Series episode "The Counter-Clock Incident", in which he is voiced by James Doohan and portrayed as the first captain of the USS Enterprise. However, the decision by Paramount Pictures, studio owners of the franchise, and series creator Gene Roddenberry to not consider the animated series to be part of the official Star Trek canon has led to debate as to whether April and his place as first captain, is actually a part of Star Trek continuity.

Technically I don't lose.

THANK YOU! I love Enterprise, and I hate when people complain about this. I mean, really. The show was made in 2003. It's not going to look like it was made in 1966, no matter how long before the 1966 show it takes place. Same goes for this movie.

They had one of the original design ships in an episode of Enterprise along with the Tholians creating their webs. In a Mirror Darkly I believe was the title of that episode. It was two parts and was in the final season.

Scotty's uniform was red in The Original Series. So where's the hangup? Was he in a different department before he was in engineering? (I'm not a huge TOS nerd, so that may very well be the case and I never knew it.)

He was also the head of security on the ship. You always new that if an unfamilure character had a red shirt on he was doomed to die. I will point out that Scotty died in the original series. The episode was the Changeling, where an alien probe was brought abord the ship and Scotty touched the probes screens and it zapped him. Later the probe revived him back from the dead. So Scotty was not imune to the red shirt doomed issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: