Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who makes Movie-tunes? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who makes Movie-tunes?
Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering who or what company makes those movie tunes discs? or if anyone has a good suggestion for something similar to that to use that's affordable. I know movie tunes isnt the greatest but I'm looking for something thats more plug and play and leave it alone. right now I got direct TV's XM business chanels and I'm being asked to change the chanels alot.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MovieTunes is free; can't get more affordable than that. I'm not sure who you contact to get on the mailing list though; we got it thru NATO many moons ago.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Asked by who? Customers?

Doesn't XM still have a movie soundtrack channel?

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I thought Movie Tunes paid the theaters that ran it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they don't. They should though!

(They might have some kind of a compensation deal with huge chains - that wouldn't surprise me.)

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
They did. I worked for GCC and one night Robert Kardashian (of O.J. is innocent fame) walked into one of our locations and complained because we didn't have it on in the lobby. IN THE LOBBY!!!!!! We were playing James Bond theme songs because the latest 007 film had opened that weekend. Apparently RK was an owner or representative of Movie Tunes. I guess he wanted to hear "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" one more time!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He might've been complaining because, by playing the James Bond tunes, you were opening your place up to huge fines from BMI or ASCAP by playing material without having a license for it. That's the primary reason for MovieTunes' existence; those CDs are license-free.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-18-2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed Movie Tunes still exists! Do they still have the same super-short 30 minute program?

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
He might've been complaining because, by playing the James Bond tunes, you were opening your place up to huge fines from BMI or ASCAP by playing material without having a license for it.
We were told he was "connected" in some way to Movie Tunes. UA had sent us the James Bond CD with a note saying we could use it at our discretion to play in the theater. Doesn't mean THEY cleared the rights for us to play it but I wasn't worried. By the time the cease and desist order showed up the movie would be played out and I had the letter from the movie's distributor.

Another time we varied from Movie Tunes was when we had the Blair Witch Project "Museum"...six display cases with "artifacts" from the alleged event. It was actually very well done. For that weekend in the lobby we played the last track on the BWP soundtrack which was just the noises heard in the end segment when they were in the witch's house. The creepy noises created a wonderful atmosphere for the "museum". We burned that one track to a CD and repeated it over and over again. It was quite effective.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 03:55 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that ASCAP/BMI has no say over soundtracks connected to current films being used as promotion via your non-sync/lobby system.

So 007 themes while Quantum of Solace is in theaters would be permissible.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would that be, Dominic? The law doesn't change.

In some cases the rightsholders can grant you clearance, but I don't think you can safely generalize. There's no reason to assume that the studio for some movie would be in a position to license a song that might have some loose association with the a related title. And predecessor titles change hands with some frequency, etc.

Sure, if SPE tells you they've cleared the rights, then you can probably safely assume they have. But without such a statement, I don't think you can assume anything.

--jhawk

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 06:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Do they still have the same super-short 30 minute program?
60 minutes. Yeah, it's still virtually the exact same thing as always - only the crappy music is newer. Oh, and they "updated" the snappy theme song at the beginning to something that sounds more current than before. So now we're solidly in the '90s.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-18-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I recall the 30 minute program was repeated twice on the disc, making it 60 minutes. Is/was that correct or am I a blathering idiot?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 07:42 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest one I heard was from 2001 and it was about an hour, give or take a few minutes. Don't know if it's changed since then- do they still have the same announcer? Seems like it's getting displaced by the video pre-show stuff which has its own audio.

Movietunes has its good and bad points, my biggest problem with it is that the announcer really shouldn't be there. In a theater very few people are paying attention to what he's saying anyways. It was also awkward when it was time to start the show and you'd cut him off mid-sentence.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's the same announcer. I do think it's a single program and runs close to 60 minutes. Since we only have 1 screen, and the disk is programmed as one track, we only hear the first 20 minutes or so while we're selling tickets. We hit the "play" button again when the first show gets out. It's so monotonous that we just tune it completely out so I couldn't even tell you what songs are playing this month.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: