Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bye Bye DHL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bye Bye DHL
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 04:13 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we're really stuck with UPS:

http://www.dhl-usa.com/about/pr/PRDetail.asp nav=PressRoom/PressReleases&year=2008&seq=1246

Press Release

DHL EXPRESS TO FOCUS U.S. BUSINESS ON INTERNATIONAL SERVICES

Plantation, Fla. -- November 10, 2008

- Domestic-only services end January 30, 2009
- International shipping to/from U.S. remains intact
- Will reduce U.S. operating costs by over 80%
- U.S. stays an integral part of DHL's global network

DHL, the world's number one international logistics and express service provider, today announced a repositioning of its U.S. Express business. Beginning January 30, 2009, DHL's U.S. Express business will focus entirely on its international offerings and will discontinue its domestic-only air and ground services. However, the company will retain a strong international presence and capability in the U.S. going forward.

The announcement was made this morning at a press conference held in Bonn, Germany by Deutsche Post World Net, parent company of DHL U.S. Express.

"This is the right move for our U.S. Express operations given the current economic climate and for the long run," said John Mullen, Global CEO of DHL Express. "Focusing our U.S. Express efforts on what we do better than anyone else - international shipping - serves the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders around the world."

In order to meet its financial goals, DHL U.S. Express will close its U.S. ground hubs, and reduce the number of stations from 412 to 103. This will result in an additional reduction of 9,500 U.S. jobs at DHL Express on top of the approximately 5,400 positions already reduced since January. The company will retain 3,000 to 4,000 U.S. Express employees, tailored to the needs of international express customers. These measures will allow DHL's U.S. Express business to reduce its operating costs from $5.4 billion to under $1 billion, a decrease of over 80%.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now we're really stuck with UPS:

... and that's bad, because...??

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 05:37 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
.. and that's bad, because...??
Well, let's say my experiences with them here have not been good.

According to the admittedly low level person I talked to, they are not going to have key access like DHL does, which can be problematic with print delivery. Recently, I had an overnight package that they wouldn't deliver during my normal hours (I'm not usually at the theatre for the early morning overnight window) so a package that they attempted to deliver on Thursday morning, I didn't get until Monday afternoon--and only through lots of angry phone calls. And lots of outright lies from the folks on the phone.

On the brightside, I clawed my way far enough up the chain to actually get a depot number and a corporate number for future use.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 07:32 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had the problems with DHL, here in the Seattle area. Matter of fact, the past couple of years with Technicolor have been as painless as our dealings with ETS (DFS).

I can see where problems can be regionalized, though... and I hadn't thought about the key issue. That might make things "interesting".

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, my problems are with UPS, not DHL.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 12:57 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RANT: UPS shows up last Friday to pick up a print. We received the email the night before so I had it broken down and ready to go. Then they asked for a 2nd print but I told them it wasn't ready and I did not receive any notification to have it ready. We received an email 2 hours later informing us to have this print broken down.

Can't wait to have more UPS pick ups, more frustration.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 01:17 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were told to have Quarantine ready for pick up Friday.
We did.
It's still in my booth right now.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 02:09 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPS will not carry orders on film that cover more than one can or box in this area!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 06:25 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of this story that no-one is hearing about:

1 out of 3 people who live in the town of Wilmington, Ohio work for DHL. Guess how many of them will be losing their jobs by the end of the year? Almost all of them.

I find it ironic that Technicolor's main depot is in Wilmington also. Weird how all this works.

Can we say recession?

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

Be prepared to see a lot of film cans taped together with that silver duct tape. We have received some of them that way already from other shippers. They are very heavy and awkward to handle.

KEN

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2008 01:16 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gee- - I wonder how long it will be before DHL
asks the government (aka: taxpayers) to bail them out?

quote: Kenneth Wuepper
Be prepared to see a lot of film cans taped together with that silver duct tape
In 'the good old days' I could refuse to move anything more than a
4-can case. Union rules. (I'm not saying I always followed that rule- -
but I had the option and I've had gotten 'dinged' if they caught me doing it)

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-12-2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I wonder how long it will be before DHL asks the government (aka: taxpayers) to bail them out?
Since it's a German company (Deutsche Post), then I guess the German government gets that honor.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
UPS will not carry orders on film that cover more than one can or box in this area!
That makes no sense at all. UPS has no restrictions on "number of packages they'll handle" that I've ever heard of, and we've had an account with them for over 20 years.

Where did you get that info, Ron?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2008 06:39 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Paramount pictures on returns via email they send out the day before the pick up of each film.

"If the film is in one box have ready for pick up by UPS the window will be from 10 am to 2 pm. If the film is in two cans send by your regular carrier as UPS will not transport film in more than one box. If your film is in two cans please email me so I can stop the pick up."

Has UPS been used to route film in your area? In my case only for returns to Paramount --- however, they have delivered to me in the past but on film. In fact I get deliveries about 3 times a week from them but again never on film --- only pick ups for Paramount.

Again Mike I did say in my area your area may be different. You may not have a driver that refuses to just leave something with your signing his little box no matter what. I had grease up to my elbow's one day and he wouldn't leave the package until I cleaned up my hands and signed for it.

Your experiences may be Different Mike maybe they will take a key from you and leave you deliveries when you are not there. Not here you have to be in the theater to accept delivery. Maybe you have a semi secure area they are willing to leave your deliveries but not here you have to be here and sign for it. But that is in my area not yours!

Todd Leach
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2008 08:46 AM      Profile for Todd Leach   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because the UPS driver only gets one tag from Paramount.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: