Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stupid Investment of the Week (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stupid Investment of the Week
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LINK:

Stupid Investment of the Week

Commentary: Regal Entertainment Group gets two thumbs down
By Chuck Jaffe, MarketWatch
Last update: 3:49 a.m. EST Nov. 7, 2008
BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- Investors looking for gems in the ruins of the current market downturn typically rely on a few key criteria.
They want a business that can thrive in an economic downturn, a company with a leadership position in its industry, one that has lost enough during this year to be considered a bargain, and a high dividend payout to overcome the bumps and bruises of day-to-day volatility.
With that in mind, an investor might be attracted to Regal Entertainment Group (RGC: RGC9.31, -0.52, -5.3%) , the nation's largest operator of movie theaters.
Its stock price has been more than cut in half in the last year, pumping the current yield into double-digit range. Alas, dig beneath the surface on all of those issues, and you can see the stock still has a lot of negatives -- enough to make it Stupid Investment of the Week.
Stupid Investment of the Week highlights the flawed logic and beneath-the-surface issues that make a security less-than-ideal for the average investor. The hope is that showing where danger lies in one situation will make it easier for readers to uncover problems elsewhere. While obviously not a purchase recommendation, neither is this column intended as an automatic sell signal.
Action packed
In the case of Regal Entertainment, there is an obvious bullish case to be made right now.
Start with the economy, which is bad for many businesses but not necessarily a problem for cinema operators, as going out to the movies is likely to remain one of the cheaper ways for a night on the town. In Regal's case, the company's free cash flow has been relatively stable, which is important because there's a significant debt load to worry about.
Then there's the company's huge collection of theaters, which give it an advantage in negotiating contracts with production companies and concession firms. And because Regal tends to build big complexes -- where it can leverage labor costs over many screens -- the company has the highest operating margins in the industry.
Next comes the yield, which now stands north of 12%, a nice cushion against any continued price erosion and particularly attractive when you consider that the stock recently dropped below $10 per share and most fair-value estimates stand at least twice that high, meaning any current buyer is getting the stock at what amounts to a half-off sale.
So much for the good news.
You can start the bad news with a simple economic analysis, one which says that in current economic conditions, consumer discretionary stocks are in line to take a beating, particularly if they have an issue with debt.
Regal has a mountain of debt, close to $2 billion. While it's not coming due until 2011-- by which time the credit markets may be working properly and efficiently again -- there's no question that it's a big potential threat to the dividend. The debt load also could limit potential growth, whether through expansion or acquisition, and limit the company's ability to embrace certain industry developments such as Imax and 3-D theaters.
The debt might not be a threat to the dividend if everything was up to Regal, but theater operators don't control the quality of the films coming out, and so rely on someone else to pump up their revenues. While consumers may find movies a cheap date, that doesn't mean they'll pony up to see bad films.
Moreover, customers have no reason to be particularly loyal to any movie theater. If the same film is showing in two places, a consumer concerned about their pocketbook will go to the one that is closest (lowest gasoline cost) or that has the lowest ticket prices (lowest profit margin for the operator).
That same lack of loyalty can occur among studios. If a theater operator pushes for too sweet a deal from the studios, the producers can simply take their show up the road to the next company. Say goodbye to any power in negotiating film licenses.
And while an investor is buying shares in Regal, they're not actually getting a controlling interest in the company. That belongs to the Anschutz Co., which owns all Class B shares of stock, the ones with 10-1 voting power that give Anschutz more than three-quarters of Regal's voting control.
Said David Brady of Brady Investment Counsel in Chicago: "The shares are cheap, no doubt, and they pay a great big dividend ... but there are a lot of cheap [stocks] today without the without funky ownership structures."
While the stock is below fair-value estimates, its third-quarter profit fell by more than 45% from a year ago and was well-below analyst forecasts.
Nashville-based research firm New Constructs had Regal on its "most dangerous stocks" list for October, a month when the company's shares lost 18%, but has since moved the stock off that list and has given it a neutral rating.
David Trainer, New Constructs' president, said that Regal "must grow profits at 3.5% per year for each of the next 27 years to justify the current price." And while that might not sound like much, Trainer noted that the operating profit growth rate over the last five years averages a negative 3%.
Until that trend can be reversed, Regal looks like the kind of "good company, bad stock" situation that amounts to "a bargain in the making." It could still have further to fall -- especially if the dividend is cut -- and needs more health in the economy before it can live up to the potential that it appears to have at first glance.

Chuck Jaffe is a senior MarketWatch columnist. His work appears in dozens of U.S. newspapers.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 11:19 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I payed about $17 for my < 1% stake [Wink]
DRIP had me holding a few hundred last year but now what's left for this behemoth is tanking.

Since it's not a heartbreaking drop from what I initially put in I'm not broken hearted. Will be interesting to see if they can pull the nose up before it it crashes.

However, all you indie operators should get ready -- when a giant like REGAL hits trouble they always drop their smaller locations that aren't performing up to their standard and as many of us saw when UA went into bankruptcy those locations can be excellent money makers for the right independent.
And I would call that a smart investment [Wink]

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here but aren't we all?

EDIT: went back to include a small pun [Cool]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 02:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite the story here. Yet true: if Hollyrock can't get their act together and get some better fliks out there, they will be the ones that's gonna be hurt worse domestically if screens go dark due to bankruptcys, or simple closures that can't play their films.

But, we've seen this before: the bigger they get, the harder they fall unless they find a way to lighten the weight some.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
The debt might not be a threat to the dividend if everything was up to Regal, but theater operators don't control the quality of the films coming out, and so rely on someone else to pump up their revenues. While consumers may find movies a cheap date, that doesn't mean they'll pony up to see bad films.
Howweeevver...
Regal has a nationwide Flashback Features program showing older movies on the Big Screen. They DO control the quality of those films, because they only show the ones that have stood the test of time.

Now of course these screenings will never make as much money as a successful current release. But that doesn't mean they can't be a reliable source of good, steady, solid supplemental income.

I have been to a number of these screenings in a couple of different cities, and they are ALWAYS much more crowded than the current releases (on weeknights). And I gotta presume that they aren't paying too much in rentals on older titles.

Now here's the kicker: Regal does almost NOTHING to promote their Flashback Series. There is no mention of it on their companty site. The most you are likely to find is a stack of fliers off to the side at a closed section of the concession stand... and that's IF you happened to be visiting the theatre in the first place.

I have sent emails to their corporate office begging them for listings to put on my blog (where I am trying to promote this sort of thing) and I'm lucky to get a haphazard reply that usually parrots back the information I sent them in the first place.

If Regal bothered to promote these series, I believe they could really take off. There could be a dedicated "classics" auditorium in most of their larger 'plexes, and only five screens showing Beverly Hills Chihuahua instead of six.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 09:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
Regal has a nationwide Flashback Features program showing older movies on the Big Screen.
The newish Regal 15 here has been doing this for a while. They have posters and similar stuff promoting it in front of the box office (inside a mall). It's fairly hard to miss the promos, but of course you have to be in front of the theater to see them. One of these days I'm gonna go to one of these showings and see what's up. "Top Gun" is showing on 11/12.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 09:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What has been the tix price on these "Flashback" Series that REG presents at certain locations?

Hopefully, not the regular admit pricing.

-Monte

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 09:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tickets are $5.00 here, less than their regular matinee price.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-13-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my coworkers went to "Top Gun" at the Regal 15 here in Eugene last night. He got there at 7:30 for the 7:45 show, and it was nearly full. Apparently they interlocked it on a 2nd screen for overflow. He says the audience was enthusiastic and really into it, and the theater was asking for suggestions for future shows.

So the "Flashback Features" idea seems to be working well, at least here. [beer]

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did a "Flashback Weekend" at my drive-in back in August, even though our booker suggested it would probably tank and we should just stick to the normal current fare. We played GREASE and DIRTY DANCING. Our print of Grease was starting to fade, but the print of Dirty Dancing was brand new. We did OK on Friday night, but almost sold out for Saturday night. I would have never thought two 25 year old movies would draw enough to be close to a sell out.

In the right market, with the right movies, a "Flashback Film Series" makes pretty good sense. However, it cost us more for shipping the prints to and from the theatre than the actual film rental cost.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go see a lot of movies that were made back in the day. They don't make them like they used to. So - I would pay to watch films like "Goonies", "Jaws", and any of the original "Star Wars" films on the big screen again. It being presented in an actual film format (35 or 70) would make it even better - especially if it is 'film done right'.

I'm all for the 'flashback' stuff, and I think it makes good business sense.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, did you do any particularly special marketing for this?

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-19-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Dennis...do you make it out to the AFI/Silver often? They have run all of those titles, in 35mm film (and have done well).

Steve

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably imagining things, but I swear I've seen about 10 threads discussing how repertory cinemas just do not work. Is there a change going on or something.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 03:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm more curious on is getting these older prints.

Granted 'Dirty Dancing' was re-released not too long ago,thus I could see prints of that still available.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 04:16 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year, Lions Gate struck new prints of Dirty Dancing for a National CineMedia event which was promoting the new stage play Dirty Dancing...I think. That was the gist of the short subject that ran in front of the feature (which ran through our DCN. The feature was 35mm.)
New prints of Grease was struck in 1998 for it's 20th anniversary.
In 1993, we ran a midnight showing of Top Gun in which the print had been burned by an improperly focused lamphouse.
About 7 or 8 years ago, we ran Ferris Bueller's Day Off for a group from Texas Tech: The print had broken sprocket holes but ran without incident. Unfortunately, the post-credits segment when Ferris scolds the audience for not leaving was missing...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: