Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » High School Musical 3 -Sing Along Version!

Author Topic: High School Musical 3 -Sing Along Version!
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the
theater, Disney announces it's releasing a "sing along"
version of HSM3 this Friday.

HSM-3 Story Link
(Link warning- this page will try to put several cookies
and web beacons on your computer if you go there)

“High School Musical 3” Offers Sing-Along Version
3-Nov-2008
Written by: Jill Marino

Moviegoers can release their inner Zefron this Friday.

The phenomenon that is High School Musical shows no sign of stopping. After keeping the box office crown for the second week in a row, the third chapter of the Disney movie-musical will release a sing-along version this Friday, E! reports.

The new version, which will hit 125 theaters, will have lyrics onscreen so audiences can sing the same tunes that the characters played by Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale and others are singing as well.

HSM3 isn’t the first film to offer a sing-along take on the original film. Just this summer, Mamma Mia! did the same thing after the initial version of the ABBA-inspired musical raked in box office gold. Another movie-musical, Hairspray, did this as well and proved successful. One of the stars of that movie was none other than HSM3’s Efron.

The only thing that stands in the way of the film making even more money for the franchise is a group of zoo animals, literally. This Friday also marks the debut of the sequel to the successful animated film, Madagascar.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jill Marino
The phenomenon that is High School Musical shows no sign of stopping. After keeping the box office crown for the second week in a row...
Yeah that is quite an unheard of accomplishment.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film had a great first 3-days for us and then went down fast. I'm not really tired of the songs yet but I'll be glad to get something else in...that singalong version might keep some $ flowing in but I'll bet Madagascar will have a huge opening.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 02:50 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1st weekend was "OK" at my theater.
Midweek attendance was fair-to-poor.

HSM3 did very good this past weekend mainly I think becuase it rained hard both days here in SF. All our biz was up.

Beleive it or not, out of all the 1st run pix we're playing the one that's consistantly selling out is a french language movie in limited release titled "The Secret".

All shows except the late one have been selling out, or close to it, almost every night since we opened it two weeks ago.

We even kicked a major current release out of our largest auditorium to put "Secret" in there.

"Sing Along" pix are quite popular at The Castro Theater here in SF. They regularly sell out showing sing along versions of "Sound Of Music", "Wizard Of Oz" and other classic movie musicals.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 11-04-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sing-Alongs are great when the songs are good. Grease is a great sing-along. Even though I thought Mamma Mia sucked, everyone knows the music and its insanely catchy. The HSM3 songs seem completely unmemorable and generic, but Zac is definitely hot.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kids who brought along bad parents were singing along with the songs anyway in our shows, and randomly singing the songs from the other two as well, in between throwing their outside food all over the floor. Can't see this making the same kind of money the other sing a long films do. There's a rep cinema called the Prince Charles in London that sells out sing-a-long Sound of Music, Rocky Horror and others regularly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: