Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Interview Questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Interview Questions
Brandon Henry
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 01:01 PM      Profile for Brandon Henry   Email Brandon Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a good set of interview questions for your conecssion, ticket and usher positions.

I am not looking to have a 2 hour interview but just a few questions that will give me any inidication of a good worker or someone who just wants free movies.

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 01:41 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 2 hour interview would be excessive for low wage floor positions. I haven't interviewed people, but I have had a few interviews, for work and school. For a floor position, their motives for the job are secondary (unless they are criminal) to whether they will do the job and be able to work in a team. I would just have a very informal sit down and try to get a feel for their interests as well as personal skills.

Putting popcorn in a bag is not a demanding job, so previous work experience isn't very important. Whether or not a person can get along with people and will do the work is important. Most people who work floor positions are not looking for a career in theaters, and it would be wrong to expect them to be, so just take people who seem to be genuine and likable. Remember, you can always fire them later on. [Wink]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also need to get a sense of whether they understand that they are going to be working nights/weekends, when all their friends are out partying. You don't want someone who calls in sick every time their friends are having a party.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife does our interviewing. I think she considers their personality more than their experience. Teenage kids can be trained to do just about anything. She'll do some role-play type exercises to see if they can think on their feet at all.

Also, our application has a "Read this first!" paragraph at the top that says "Before you apply, please remember that this is a job that will require you to work evenings and weekends, and there may be times when you will have to work when something "fun" is going on. However, we can often work around scheduled events, and all students are guaranteed to have Prom Night off. With that in mind, proceed!"

Needless to say, this filters out about half of our applications.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last question I ask is "If a customer buys a $5.50 popcorn and then hands you $20.00 How much change do they get???"

If they answer anything except $14.50 they do not get hired.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much always ask:
"Aside from being paid, why do you want to work here?",
"What qualities, abilities, or skills do you feel are your strongest and reasons you will be picked over other applicants?"
"What do you feel are your weaknesses and how do you work around them?"

I also like to ask about what they do outside of work/school, what their hobbies and interests are. Tells you a lot about them.
If they don't have any answer, to me, that's a red flag that they do things they don't want to tell you about.

If they're interviewing for a managerial position I like to ask about prior conflicts they've resolved and the like, with coworkers as well as with peers and supervisors.
No answer means they roll-over on command or are such a jerk nobody goes near them.

I'm looking for folks that are calm and thoughtful. The more thoughtful the better.

And if your theater is busy, athletic kids that don't necessarily play an organized sport but are just very active are usually really good -- they have tons of energy and pep, think on their feet, and in my experience get along better.

My 2 cents...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-21-2008 04:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to ask some questions that get them talking about themselves and that will give me a sense of their personality. What's your favorite movie, what are your favorite subjects, least favorite subjects. If they don't expand then I usually ask a follow-up.

I like the one suggested about how much change they would give back.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-21-2008 11:26 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My old boss (which is to say he's my former boss AND he's old) had the best interview questions ever for floor staff. They had nothing to do with why they wanted to work there and nothing to do with their math skills, but more about how they'd react in a certain situation.

Not role-playing sort of stuff, but things like:

It's your first night and it's a BUSY Saturday. You're cleaning theatres and a customer walks up to you and asks you something you don't know the answer to. How would you handle that?

The applicant can say any number of things, but likely the ones that say "I don't know." or "I'd tell them to ask a manager." aren't the ones you REALLY wanna hire. But the ones that say "I'd take them to the customer service desk to speak to a manager." or "I'd ask them to hang on while I find out the answer for them." would be people you'd more likely want to hire.

There were only or three questions, but they were really effective, especially when you're looking to fill one of those "warm body" positions. I wish I could remember all of them...

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-22-2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At some point during the interview after the applicant answers a question, drop everything, look at them point-blank, and ask "And you expect me to believe THAT?"

Then ask them "What's your problem with Korea, anyway?".

Then proceed with the interview normally.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-22-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you like gladiator movies?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-22-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I think both Sam and Adam have it pretty much dialed in...

But of course they both missed asking the MOST important and personality telling question: "Do you wear boxers or briefs?"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-22-2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any experience?

-If "YES" - See ya. Good luck with the job hunt.

-If "NO". - Welcome aboard. Let me mold and shape you.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-22-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why should experience be thrown out the door like that? Hopefully there are other questions you ask as well.

It's not always a bad thing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-22-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With experience can come bad habits. Retraining projectionists is always a pain in the ass. It seems like they ALL come with super bad habits these days. Experience certainly isn't always a bad thing, but it rarely seems to be a good thing in this field. What I look for instead is attentiveness, technical competence (and interest), punctuality and efficiency.

I once had the usher girl come up and inform me that a movie was supposed to start a three minutes ago (I was busy building a film). No customers were complaining, she just noticed on her own. That impressed me. Unfortunately her availability sucks ass, but otherwise I wouldn't mind training her as she seems strong in other areas of overall work competence goes.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2008 08:01 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ask for an example of when someone has had to adapt to changes in their workplace or working practices then the strength of their answer could allay your fears of hiring experienced people. That was one of the better questions I've been asked in an interview.

What I really want to do when I get to a stage in my career that I interview people is get the person to shut their eyes and quickly box them in with tensabarriers, then ask them to come stand by me on the other side. If they try to climb over or duck they're out, if they open the tag at the end and walk out they're in!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: