Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Single Screen Dilemma 2008: Twilight, or Bolt? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Single Screen Dilemma 2008: Twilight, or Bolt?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2008 11:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't done one of these in a while, but this one is a real stumper.

BOLT is a Disney family film of course, and TWILIGHT has every female in the civilized world salivating.

The big negative I can see for Bolt is that it's 3D, and we're not digital. The negative on Twilight is, it apparently only appeals to 50% of the adult population. (We haven't had a man inquire about the film yet, but lots of women have.)

The other thing is, we will have just played Madagascar 2 and High School Musical, so Bolt would make it 3 kids' shows in a row....we do well with kids shows, but the adults like movies too.

What's a single screen to do? Opinions are welcome!

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Bolt exclusively 3D or is it available in 2D also? If its 3D only I'd say go with Twilight. It may only appeal to 50% of the population but at least some of those 50% will be dragging the other 50% along with them.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 06:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, women control the movie decision at least 80% of the time. The decision is obvious. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go after the one with less contract condition on the break then you can grab the other off off-break and get a slight reduction.

I'm sure that "Bolt" will be 2D for us "film handlers" for we have it on our watch list and we don't have any digital setup

. Disney wouldn't squeeze out it's fan base releasing for 3D only.

Wait until yu face the same choice when "Australia" comes out (woo..and at 177minutes...)

Major "chik flik" .... - Monte

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2008 02:22 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have direct competion, Bolt in 2D should do well. If it's 10 miles for people to see it in 3D they might. If its 20 miles they won't (for the most part).

The 2D vs. 3D issue comes into play where you have nearby competion and don't have 3D.

We've elected not to play the 2D version in complexes where we have 3D capability.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would opt for Bolt over Thanksgiving. The big problem I see with Twilight is it's probably going to be heavily front loaded to the opening weekend. I think Bolt is the way to go even if there is a 3D location relatively close. There should be plenty of families that aren't going to be willing to pay the extra $2-$3 a head for 3D or drive extra distance for 3D.

ComingSoon.net has a couple extended clips of Bolt and it looks pretty damn entertaining. http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=10052

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolt, because there was a launch party at the bookstore next to my old theater for the latest book in the Twilight series, and there were 14 year old girls dressed as vampires. Do you want 14 year old girls dressed as vampires in your theater? I do not want 14 year old girls dressed as vampires in my theater ever again. You shouldn't either. Play Bolt.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some info: The nearest 3-D to us is the Carmikeplex in Billings, 100 miles away. But keep in mind that in Montana, people will drive 100 miles for way less important things than to see a movie.

I was leaning Twilight until reading some of these pro-Bolt answers. I do think Twilight will have a huge first weekend and a steep drop after. Lord of the Rings it will not be. The big ? is week 2...people home for the holiday and whatnot.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2008 05:19 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - You are a small town. In a small town you go with family classic ... not trendy. Bolt all the way!

[ 10-18-2008, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan M. Crist ]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolt...no question.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda leaning towards "BOLT" now.

For you can let the "CarlMike Crapaplex" give you the results on how "Twilight" (do you subscribe to Rentrak?) on their grosses for opening week and thereafter.

That way when you're done with "BOLT", you can grab it on a off-break pricing and still have the crowd that didn't want to make the drive to Billings (and who knows' it could be a blizzard over there at that time) and just stay in your community.

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-19-2008 09:04 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The other thing is, we will have just played Madagascar 2 and High School Musical, so Bolt would make it 3 kids' shows in a row
Another good reason to take it...it's the same audience and they'll have all seen the trailer.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 10-19-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Families go to the movies over Thanksgiving weekend. Bolt will be something that the kids, parents and grandparents can all attend and no one is going to be embarrassed. 14 year old teenage girl vampires are going to make some uncomfortable and look for other alternatives. I'd go with Bolt. And John is right, you'll have all the kids and parents primed for it because they've seen the trailer. Plus the HSM3 girls will get excited because Mylie (or however its spelled) Cyrus is in it (sort-of). Twilight will make a nice fill between Thanksgiving and Christmas if it turns into anything at all.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-19-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps any, my boss saw Bolt at ShowEast. He thought it was a cute movie that should really appeal to families. He saw it in 3D, but said he didn't feel it needed to be in 3D.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 14 year olds girls come see the movie and there done the kids however keep dragging there parents back to see the movie again and again. gotta love repeat business... Go with Bolt!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: