Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DHL To Cease DeLuxe Deliveries Oct 31st (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DHL To Cease DeLuxe Deliveries Oct 31st
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2008 08:28 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received the following info in both FAX and e-mail form today.
Apparantly, DHL will cease delivery of prints to/from DeLuxe Film Services on October 31st.

I don't know if this affects DHL nationwide, (USA) or just here in Northern California.

Text of e-mail & FAX follows:

Date: October 10, 2008 4:01:04 PM PDT
To: Jimc5304xxxxx (addresses edited to protect from spammers)

Subject: ***IMPORTANT NOTICE***
***DHL CEASING DFS SERVICES OCTOBER 31ST***

Good Afternoon,

I regret to inform you that DHL has informed Deluxe Film Services that they are ceasing operations and will no longer be able to service your theatre after October 31st.

Please keep in mind that this letter only addresses prints that ship from Deluxe Film Services via DHL; we are not aware of how this decision affects other DHL business that you may be utilizing.

This decision was solely made by DHL, not Deluxe Film Services. Any questions or concerns can be addressed to your local DHL representative or myself.

Since the end of the month is fast approaching, you need to begin finding a local carrier to deliver your prints to and from your theatre.

If you do not find a local film carrier by the end of the month, there will be no way for your theatres to receive prints from the local DFS depot.

Below is a list of carriers that currently service other theatres out of the DFS San Francisco depot. Feel free to contact them and compare rates to determine which will best suite your shipping needs. Please note that you are not required to use one of the carriers listed below.

- - A LONG LIST OF LOCAL COURIER SERVICES WAS INSERTED HERE - -

Like you did previously with Theatre Transit, you are to set up an account with a carrier who will pick up your prints from our depot, deliver them to your theatre and then return them to our depot after your engagement. Any shipping related questions will be directed towards the carrier as the carrier is employed directly by you, the theatre, not Deluxe Film Services.

Once you have chosen which local film carrier to use, please notify me immediately so I can update the DFS system. It is very important that DFS has accurate carrier information for your theatre(s) to guarantee you receive the correct prints in a timely manner.

Please contact me with any questions about this matter. Thank you.

Lindsey Chespak
DELUXE | FILM SERVICES
Manager of Film Recovery
7620 Airport Business Parkway , Bldg #4

<end>

[ 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Jim Cassedy ]

|  IP: Logged

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 10-13-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, Yes this is true. DHL is bailing on their contract and DFS is bailing on finding a solution to the problem by basically sending a fax and e-mail saying that every theatre has to solve the problem of how to get their DFS prints themselves.

Gary Meyer and I are working to see if we can organize a large group of exhibitors to be able to make a film shipping deal for DFS prints. Please e-mail me directly and I can add your name to the group list so that you are included in future communications about this.

We are also making contact with the appropriate folks at Regal and Cinemark, but don't have any contact info for the appropriate person for AMC's Northern California locations. Anyone who can help provide an appropriate level contact would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-13-2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a local depot that brings us our Deluxe prints (usually in those lame boxes). How they get them is beyond me. If I were a studio I'd definitely be going through TES nowadays.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2008 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DHL pulled out of Montana a few weeks ago and our state film depot in Butte closed, so now all of our prints (TES and Deluxe both) are being shipped via UPS. Deluxe prints come out of Denver, and TES from Ontario, Calif. Cost is $25 per print each way, not a bad deal.

I agree with Joe, TES is looking like the better alternative. At least they took the pro-active stance and made the deal with UPS themselves, thereby getting a lot better rate than DFS customers will on their own.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 01:27 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours are the opposite, TES prints are delivered by DHL and DFS prints are delivered by Benton Brothers Film Service. I hope they don't do the same with TES prints. As it is Access IT switched from DHL to UPS, and the local UPS guy refuses to check with us when he drops stuff off. He will leave it with the first employee he runs across, if he even bothers stopping by at all. He's been the same guy for years, and the current manager and previous manager have complained about him. He's still working for them, and still does the same thing. We would never get prints on time. As it is we've had to call repeatedly and yell and scream just to get overnight packages of projector parts delivered on the day they are supposed to be delivered.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-16-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
File a complaint with the shipper and consistently demand a refund for services "charged, not rendered" from UPS. Nothing will work quite like "getting into their pocket." Your deliveryman may well be reassigned or terminated; UPS doesn't take kindly to losses. Louis

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-16-2008 02:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got this in today from Technicolor.

October 16, 2008

IMPORTANT TECHNICOLOR SERVICE UPDATE

Attention Theatre Management/Ownership,

Technicolor Cinema Distribution is pleased to annouce it's partnership with UPS effective the first week of December. UPS will be the primary shipper for your 35mm film prints from Technicolor. UPS is the largest shipping company in the United States with over 1,600 Service Centers across the country. Most of you already use UPS in some capacity.

UPS has been delivering Technicolor shipments to more that 10% of the theatre community since September 15th. They already provide service for Technicolor Marketing, Screen Advertising and Digital shipments.

Currently you are invoiced through DHL for your Technicolor shipments. Once you beginreceiving shipments via UPS, you will be invoiced by Technicolor. If you are currently receiving invoices from Technicolor for marketing, film shipments will be added to these billings. The payment terms will be:

Net 14 days (effective November 1, 2008 for Marketing)
COD (cash on delivery) If payable becomes 60 days or more past due.
Please stay current with Technicolor payments-COD will entail the UPS driver making film deliveries only if the check for the entire past due balance is presented upon the driver's arrival.
Please Note-- the past due balancemust be paid for both Print and Marketing Materials, regardless of what product the driver is delivering that day.

We appreciate your cooperation during this transition. We will be sending out another communication in the near feature (that's what they wrote) with additional details about your 35mm deliveries and returns with UPS.

Technicolor Cinema Distribution

Mike Sellars
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2008 03:36 PM      Profile for Mike Sellars   Email Mike Sellars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Yep... just got the same notice here.

Mike

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-16-2008 03:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody could have expected DHL to last, right? After all... they're DHL! I had a friend who worked for them and he said they were pretty shifty.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2008 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DHL is still around, they're just pulling out of some areas (rural) of the country. They partnered with the post office to deliver stuff to smaller towns. I wouldn't be surprised to see UPS do it too....every town has a post office and it would be a lot easier for them to ship everything to the post office and let them deliver it (or hold for pickup). But overall, UPS's rates are high enough that they can afford to keep the giant fleet of trucks running - for now.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-16-2008 09:13 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Deluxe prints are delivered by Highway Film Service, a division of Clark Transportation, The driver is an independent courier in his own truck and covers the eastern third of Va. and a little of NC. Mel has been running the route for 30 years works one or two days a week, he says the money is excellent.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-17-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of those 10%-ers here? Are we going to still retain the concept of a 2-hour window, or will it be more open?

Bill: I like "in the near feature" it means it was written by somebody who Thinks Movies, rather than some unconnected marketing suit. That's a good thing [Smile]

--jhawk

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Not a MOVIE person at all, just poor enunciation for the "speak to type" program.
[Frown]

Both DHL and the currier service have keys to the theatre and can make deliveries while the building is unattended. I don't know if UPS will be able to offer this same service.

[ 10-20-2008, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2008 10:50 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately we did recieve a similar letter from Technicolor, who uses DHL in our area. UPS guy isn't going to be happy. He won't be able to skip out on us anymore.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
Both DHL and the currier service have keys to the theatre and can make deliveries while the building is unattended. I don't know if UPS will be able to offer this same service.
UPS will not accept a key (responsibility) for your theater. I have to Pick up/ drop off my films at the local UPS station

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: