Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Indiana 5? Why bother? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Indiana 5? Why bother?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 10:37 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make another squillion...why else?

Oh God, please no...
-------------------------
Harrison Ford says George Lucas in 'think mode' on another 'Indiana Jones' film
12:26 PM PT, Oct 3 2008

Indiana_jones Harrison Ford said Friday that momentum is building for a fifth movie in the "Indiana Jones" franchise and that George Lucas is already cooking up a suitable plot for a heroic senior citizen with a penchant for whips and fedoras.

"It's crazy but great," the 66-year-old Ford said. "George is in think mode right now."

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" grossed $318 million in the U.S. alone and $770 million worldwide and is expected to be powerhouse seller on DVD and Blu-Ray when it arrives in stores Oct. 14. It was a film that many people in Hollywood assumed would never be made considering the difficulty in finding the right time and the right script to reunite Ford, Lucas and franchise director Steven Spielberg after the 1989 hit "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

Now, though, the latest success and the fact that the franchise's old machinery was revived has Ford thinking a fifth movie is not only a viable idea, but an attractive one.

"It's automatic, really, we did well with the last one and with that having done well and been a positive experience, it's not surprising that some people want to do it again," Ford said.

I asked Ford who specifically is stirring up the idea of another revival, whether it was Lucas, Spielberg or the star himself? "Really, it comes from the ethos, from the ether. It's natural. It's a way of nature, of course, success breed opportunities ... also we don't stay as closely in contact as have in the last year, that's part of it."

Spielberg_lucas_ford_at_cannesFord said, though, he would not be game to making an animated "Indiana Jones" film, a notion that became at least a possible option after Lucas took his "Star Wars" theatrical saga into the computer-generated realm with "The Clone Wars" this summer.

"I'm not philosophically against doing animation roles but not for Indiana Jones," Ford said. "I'd hate to see it reduced in any way from the movies that we have done and the way we have done them."

The iconic star said he had some doubts that his long-gone archaeologist hero would be an automatic 21st century sensation.

"It was never a lead-pipe cinch," Ford said. "It was a calculated business risk but I believe it paid off. I was somewhat surprised and gratified to see it did the business that it did. It was successful in almost every market. The first time we showed it to a disinterested outside audience was at Cannes. That' s a crap shoot of the first order. Not only is that audience sophisticated and film-knowledgable, it's French! And it's their country and their festival and we somewhat expected to be seriously slapped around. But we were not, we were embraced...it was very gratifying."

The action hero long ago became accustomed to seeing his likeness on action figures, but even he was taken aback by the proliferation of his face and fedora this past summer as Indiana Jones became a pop-culture blizzard.

"It was everywhere I turned, I was on a Corn Flakes box or something else. That's what it takes now to do a good job of marketing a movie like this."

Did the star's 7-year-old son like the movie? "He hasn't seen it. It's a little scary for his experience at this point." What about the toy aisle, was he jolted to see Daddy on so many boxes? "He doesn't take it personally. It doesn't mean very much to him."

-- Geoff Boucher

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 01:34 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't hold your breath. Given the length of time to get the script approved for the last one, George, Harry and Steve may all be dead before another one gets made.

They've all done well for us though - so if they make a good movie, I say why not? What the hell, I like the $$$ just like any good capitalist.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 01:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..better than a lot of this crud that's been hitting the screens lately and cinemas losing tonnage on profits.

As long as Ford remains healthy, he'd definitely better jump on it while he can, just that the writer better not put in any 'stinky cheese' in this new story like "Skull" contained

.and please, get a better cinematographer...

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 04:50 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
so if they make a good movie, I say why not?
Because judging from what they came up with last time, they won't. It took them 18 years to come up with Crystal Skulls and it sucked mightily. OK, it took a load of cash...but that's not my barometer of a decent movie.

Let's hope when Mr. Ford says George is 'thinking' he means he's 'thinking' of using Frank Darabont's script finally.

THAT I'd bother with, otherwise I'm yawning already. [sleep]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for "Howard The Duck Part 2"!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hope is that they will use the Darabont script, have seen it referred to as 'perfect' by people who've read it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-07-2008 11:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. Man, that actually gives me a little hope we may see Heaven Gate: Whisking the Rim or Ishtar: We're Back in Action!
[Confused]

Alright, Indy 4 wasn't exactly a bomb. But it sure isn't exactly a movie I'm aching to have waste space on a bookshelf amongst other titles in my Blu-ray collection. Let's call it a day shall we?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-08-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ishtar: We're Back in Action!
That's a great title. [thumbsup]

I found ISHTAR much easier to stomach after a week (single screen) when you knew all the songs. [eyes]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-09-2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indy #5? Hell Yes! In case you idiots haven't noticed, the place you work sells tickets and food for the money that pays you, you don't have to like the product to appreciate the revenue it generates.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-09-2008 04:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
In case you idiots haven't noticed
Nice Bill.

Do you never have an opinion? Mine is that a movie should not be a piece of crap. Indy 4 was and will always be. Whether it takes a gazillion dollars or nothing...if it's got a budget of $150million I expect it to have a halfway decent story and not remembered for monkeys, prairie dogs and hiding from a nuclear blast in a fridge. These films have pedigree and this in no way lived up to it's predecessors.

My patrons (and hopefully yours too) don't want to leave the theatre saying "what a heap of shit". If it is, it'll end its season too soon for us to make any money out of it. Hell, we limped to week 6 with it and ended it. We had no real bums on seats with it since week 4. If it had been a good film, folks would still have been coming in week 6 when the percentage was decent for us. Word it wasn't good got out fast and down it went. I'd much rather play a lesser film that's good. Word will pass around and I'll be able to play it longer, not the other way around.

Show them shit...they'll remember you for all the wrong reasons. Show 'em a good show and hopefully they'll remember you for the right ones.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 08:19 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played it 3 weeks second run to good crowds to the end. Would have played it another if something else had not come available. Maybe they thought it was worth $2.00 but not $8.00 to $10.00. I'm sticking to my claim that you do't have to like it if it brings in the dollars and it did for us.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that every movie I hate, there are plenty of people who love it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the thing that I've noticed with a good amount of "indies" (and don't get me wrong-some indies can really run a show and the business, but unfortunately not all of them are on the same page), is that they have a bit of a problem with the concept of "Customer Satisfaction."

So "Hollyrock" loves the concept of doing sequels - the first one made the bucks and developed a fanbase, thus here comes the sequels (and we know that StarWars and Potter have proven this fact pretty well) and the bucks comes-a-rolling in.

So what?? Leave it alone! Play along with the game - you've got the advantage where the film is selling (or has sold) itself, why not go along with this and "sell and market" your cinema to your community as well for it's for your professional benefit anywhos? Don't you want a "win/win" situation at all times?

Bring the damn MAGIC back in "Going to a Movie!"

You gain two things in doing so: respect from you and your community.

Indie owners may hate seeing this coming from "Hollyrock", but "HEY!" it's bringing in people, a good fan/customer base and profits to your cinema.

I've seen so many 'indies' with horrible attitudes on how they run their business with setting conditions and negative attributes around their cinemas, that I find it truly amazing that they are still in business, let alone struggling to find ways to stay in business...and they wonder why the cinema down the street can outperform them in any means or form.

...just my $.03 on this topic.

-Monte

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-12-2008 06:31 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Monte.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2008 08:12 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still waiting for "Howard The Duck Part 2"!

You mean IsTrash....I mean Istar part 2

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: