Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Automatic Ticket Machines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Automatic Ticket Machines
Tim Massett
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 02:08 PM      Profile for Tim Massett   Email Tim Massett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi,
i apologize if this has been discussed before. I attempted a few searches and did not come up with anything.

can anyone refer me to info/dealers for those newly fangled machines that magically produce tickets for folks without going to the ticket counter?

thanks!
tim massett
 -

[ 10-06-2008, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 02:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely this is something you would need to discuss with the company that makes your ticketing system since the machine (kiosk) and software must integrate with your existing systems.

Tim Massett
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 02:16 PM      Profile for Tim Massett   Email Tim Massett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks! i don't have a ticketing system set up yet but...is there one in particular that stands out?

the twin i will be running has yet to open it's doors.

tim

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the (3) POS systems that I have used, RTS is probably the best suited to the needs of a small independent. It is very economical as well.

Tim Massett
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 02:57 PM      Profile for Tim Massett   Email Tim Massett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Galen.

Tim Massett
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Tim Massett   Email Tim Massett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anybody here ever use Tick-It! 2K by new concepts software? i am being talked in to using it but have never heard of it.

thanks!
tim

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2008 10:26 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of RTS also, which handles concession and inventory functions as well as ticketing.
It appears that Tick-It only does ticketing. Prices seem to be in the same ballpark for the two.

Tim Massett
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Tim Massett   Email Tim Massett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it seems i am only in need of ticketing. the cinema that will be opening here has an unusual set up. there will be a full service restaurant on floor one with a small black box theatre as well. in the basement will be a two screen cinema. the software for the concessions will be the same software that the restaurant is using. i am only looking for software for ticketing and the existing black box theatre is using this software. i was hoping to get some feedback though on the cinema application of the software if anyone here has used it.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 06:23 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For such a small set-up I wouldn't mind TSS (I think they still sell it) as it is light on resources, very compatible, and extremely reliable.

Another one I like is TicketPro. It has a lot of features and is a bit heavier than TSS. It's designed to be your one-stop-shop kind of thing. But it can be integrated with kiosks and their tech guys are always available and in my experience can work with you on a solution if you have a quirky rig; they've probably seen it all before.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-26-2008 03:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still like OmniTerm despite its quirks

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2008 11:34 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big problem with RTS now is that they have jacked the price up through the roof for those just starting out with it.
They've added a $1000.00 per station "customization fee" [Eek!]
RTS website

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2008 05:22 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From that link to RTS

quote:
Recurring Licensing Fee Pricing:
1 Station: $250
2 Stations: $850
3 Stations: $1100
4 Stations: $1300
5+ Stations: $100 per additional station

Why in the name of all that's holy is there a $600 jump in licensing from 1 station to 2? There's got to be a reasonable explanation, but that seems weird to me at first glance.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2008 10:26 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the drastic rise could be due to support - i.e. it is easy to support a single non-networked stand alone station vs 2 networked stations where one is the "master"

I ran a quick comparison with our current POS costs and factoring out all the extras we have that RTS does not show pricing for (or offer) I come up with almost a wash on costs for our 18 screen location (both initial purchase and continuing support for 35 stations) - I actually thought RTS would have been significanlty cheaper.

I've used several systems including RTS and they are definitely one of the best for small locations on a budget.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2008 11:00 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Massett
the software for the concessions will be the same software that the restaurant is using. i am only looking for software for ticketing and the existing black box theatre is using this software
Depending on the layout, opening hours, and other factors, it may be useful to have the ability to sell tickets at the concessions/restaurant.

This would allow you to reduce the staffing at quiet times and allow some more flexibility at busier times.

The automatic (staffless) machines seem to be used more for pre-booked ticket pickup, and only in larger (chain) cinemas. They are not a substitute for staffed ticket selling.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-02-2008 01:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
The big problem with RTS now is that they have jacked the price up through the roof for those just starting out with it.
They've added a $1000.00 per station "customization fee"

Yes, but you don't have to pay for the service. If you're network savvy enough, you can do all that yourself.

I remember when I first started with RTS. I was the proverbial "customer from Hell". Nothing went right, everything went wrong, and most of it was my fault.

After a short learning curve, I took my system from two stations to 11, over 2 theatres, plus credit cards, gift cards, internet ticketing and central data polling. Except for some advice, I didn't have RTS do any of that.

Setting up an existing menu into possibly several screens, including ticketing and tax functions can take a lot of time. Once it's done, keeping it updated is pretty easy.

It is a lot of money, but probably not too far off what it costs them to dedicate someone to your needs for awhile.

As for the cost of RTS's software, I think they've just shuffled things around to where the costs really lie. At one time, they charged for credit card processing and internet ticketing (which involves a site they have to maintain). Those services are now free, and you get to keep whatever ticketing fee you might charge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: