Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Did Debate Affect Your Box Office?

Author Topic: Did Debate Affect Your Box Office?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 10:23 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of delving into the forbidden politics topic, I'm just curious to know if/how "the big debate" last night affected your business.

It was DEAD at "my" theater(s)!

You could have fired a shotgun in any one of our auditoriums and most likely not hit one of the few people there.
(I'll have to try this during next weeks' debate [Big Grin] )

I joked with my boss that we probably could have made more money by letting people in for free to watch the debate on the big screen & just selling concesssions.

And there was probably more truth than scarcasim in my statement.

Did anyone else have a big fall-off in business last nite?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since many of our patrons are old people, the answer is clearly YES. Maybe not much on Thursday, but last Friday definitely.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-03-2008 12:39 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we sold it out! Alternate content FTW.

Rob Baker
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 02:55 PM      Profile for Rob Baker   Email Rob Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

We're televising the debate on Tuesday on our single screen. It's sponsored by a national interest group (name withheld because I'm not sure what constitutes advertising). They are paying for free popcorn and soda. I'm expecting a tremendous turn out.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-03-2008 03:39 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've shown both convention acceptance speeches, and both debates so far. We are planning to show the remaining debates.

We've found that these do excellent, usually filling most of our seats. We also decorate the lobby and auditorium in red white and blue. The LED sconces we use have individual color control, and are also set to red and blue.

In concessions we offer Sandwiches and other things we wouldn't usually sell.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-03-2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the rights issues with doing something like this? Who owns the rights to the broadcast of the "debates" (term used loosely), anyway?

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 08:03 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox News reported the highest rating for an evening in the history of the channel

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 12:28 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were definately impacted by the Presidential debate last Friday - plus two big HS football games, but the VP debate last night didn't have much impact. In fact, Thursday was actually up a bit over Wednesday.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 03:44 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly 70 million people watched the VP debate, that's a record.

We're dead as shit anyway so no way to tell.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 04:37 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
Apparantly 70 million people watched the VP debate, that's a record.

If a similar televised debate were to be held here, between Brown and Cameron, never mind just the deputies, I suspect that it would result in one of the largest switch-offs in history; things are obviously quite different over there.

I was in New Jersey just a few days before the '04 election, and there did seem to be far more interest in such things than there is here. Personally, I couldn't even name the deputy leaders of any of our parties now, nor even the leaders of any but the two largest ones. I think he same would apply to many other people here.

Kat Baggett
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 10:38 PM      Profile for Kat Baggett   Email Kat Baggett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My little 3 screener went from 124 on Wednesday night to 15 on Thursday night...so I think there was a definite impact.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 06:49 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely both debates hurt here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: