Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Celebrities in your theatre! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Celebrities in your theatre!
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 01:20 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cinematic claims to fame thus far.....

Meeting Hugh Jackman earlier this year (he came in to watch I Am Legend on a break from Wolverine.) I shook his hand which was everything I imagined it to be, warm and manly. So every time I see his right hand in a movie I'll think, "I've shaken that."

Meeting Shania Twain twice. Much much smaller than she appears on TV, and very nice. I sold her a packet of Pineapple Lumps and a Pepsi. In case you were wondering!!!

Sting popped into Odeon Salisbury to watch King Kong a few years back. He, too, is much smaller than he seems on TV. Very very tanned!

Has anyone else had the rich and famous (or not so famous) in their cinemas? I tell you what though, if either Johnny Depp or George Clooney come and pay a visit here, I take no responsibility for my actions...

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-01-2008 01:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sally Ann Burgess
So every time I see his right hand in a movie I'll think, "I've shaken that.
[eyes] [Eek!] [eyes]

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 01:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sally Ann Burgess
if either Johnny Depp or George Clooney come and pay a visit here, I take no responsibility for my actions...
Down Girl!!!

mind I grew up in Hollywood CA. so most of my sightings were not in the theatre but on the Street. I did attend Hollywood High and Brandy (Moesha) was actually in my class till her senior year when she left to become a recording star. We performed in Antigone together. I have run across Jeff Bridges, Hayden Christensen, Kevin Kline, Bob Goldthwait, Michael Jackson (no I was not a little boy), John Travolta, Carol Burnett, and a few others that escape me right now. Frankly I always saw them as just regular old people like the rest of us. Nothing to amazing Just regular Jo's

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-01-2008 02:07 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a concert venue a few miles down the road. In the 3+ years since I've been here, we've Kelly Clarkson and Velvet Revolver come in. I was blown away by how small Kelly is.

The previous theatre where I worked we had at least some members of Metallica come in. I wasn't there at work at the time so I don't know who. I guess one of them has a family member in the area.

And Gary Burghoff (Radar on M*A*S*H*) used to be a regular - in fact, one of his sons even worked for us for a while.

We had the real Jeffrey Wigand do a Q&A session and introduce a showing of The Insider. He was in the area doing a talk at the local community college and they actually contacted us to see if we could set it up.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-01-2008 02:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early '80's, I remember when Art "Stink" er - Linkletter came into our town as a representative of Zig Zigler's classic positive business selling tools.

We were doing a satellite duplex feed with another theatre back east and Linkletter was assigned at ours while 'Ziggy' was at that other one.

Then, at a 4plex I was working at, we had the hairband group "Twisted Sister" attend our theatre. Talk about a crowd gathering around the theatre afterwards!

Then, recently at a 21 complex that I was working at, Nancy Kuan (pro skater) was in Boise and attended one of the screenings we had.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-01-2008 04:31 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't in the building at any of these times, but we have confirmed visits from Arnold Schwarzenegger, Anne Hathaway, and Kobe Bryant. Not at the same time. I'm sure there have been more; we're a fairly high-profile location.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 06:48 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well many years ago in London at 5.30am I met and shook hands with Brad Pitt in the foyer at the Electric Cinema. I was projecting a James Bond all night movie marathon at the time, he turned up to watch Octopussy after a night @ the ministry of sound.

Chow Yung Fat was filmed by MTV in the Scala's projection room (complete with me doing changeovers in the background) during the closing weekend of the old Kings Cross institution. It closed with a bang! A John Woo Festival! What freaked me out was that he greeted me the next day by my first name.

For me it was a case of he's constantly on the screen, he does not speak english, boy does he knows how to use a gun, he is standing next to the projector, he knows my name, weird.

Spinal Tap at the now gone Valhalla Cinema in Sydney. I met them (well almost all of them, aparently the drummer had recently died) they gave me their album "Smell the Glove" and then I operated a spotlight for them.

When I worked at the Sydneys Planet Hollywood I did meet plenty of Home and Away actors and the ocassional Billy Zane etc. I remember Lachlin Murdoch and body guards came up to the projection room to thank us for the screening of Independance day.

Also Dennis Hopper at the Valhalla, Keanu Reeves @ the Chauvel.

Another true highlight for me was meeting and chatting to French Actress Romane Bohringer.

I have met plenty more celebrities when I worked for a tv station and in film production but thats pretty much the high lights of my in cinema celebrity sightings.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have several of the Tennessee Titans football players and their families come in a couple of years ago to watch Spiderman 2 and White Chicks. Really HUGE guys. They were much Bigger in person than they look on TV.

Also, being so close to Nashville, we've also had our share of country music stars come in. Not many, but a couple.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-01-2008 09:54 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Moore is on our theatres board, and makes a point of personally introducing many of our films. This year we have also hosted Madonna, Donahue, Stanley Donen, Larry Charles, and many others.

At my previous location, Jerry Seinfeld and a large group of DreamWorks staff came in to do a test screening of Bee Movie.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had Neil Patrick Harris come into my old theater with his boyfriend to see Prince Caspian. There were still decent crowds on a Sunday afternoon, so it must have been about the third week of the run. He had the cliched sunglasses and baseball cap on, but since there were several How I Met Your Mother fans among us, we recognized him easily. "He tried to disguise himself, but I recognized that distinctive bone structure," as the guy on ticket post said. I was pleased that no one bothered him, we just made a huge fuss amongst ourselves in the lobby after all the shows were in.

Jeff Eisentraut
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 10:14 AM      Profile for Jeff Eisentraut   Email Jeff Eisentraut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out theatre is located in the hometown of 9-time UFC world champion Matt Hughes who attends regularly and as a matter of fact was here two nights ago while we were filming our weekly podcast and agreed to do a cameo..

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife used to be an assistant manager at the Kendall 9 theater down in Miami. She saw OJ Simpson come in a few times.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-01-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a film for Martin Scorsese when he was in town to shoot his new movie (earlier this year). It was a print from his personal collection that he wanted to show to a handful of the people involved in his production (Leonardo Dicaprio and Mark Ruffalo were also in the audience). I got to shake his hand after the screening, and he thanked me for "excellent projection."

Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do live concerts too, so we get a lot of famous musicians-- but among the movie people are Clint Eastwood, who lives down the road. He came to see Diane Schuur perform. We talked about the old movie houses in Oakland that he went to when he was a kid. He mentioned his new movie which he said he was a little concerned about, because it was black & white, all in Japanese and subtitled.

We also had John Waters as a speaker-- very nice guy and pretty hilarious. He lost his paycheck in the airport.

D.A. Pennebaker, who directed Monterey Pop here 40 years ago, came in and spoke about the film.

One of the most interesting was Daniel Ellsburg, the guy who leaked the Pentagon Papers to the NY times back in the 70s. He came in to see "Dr Strangelove"! I found out later he had once worked for the RAND (BLAND) Corporation parodied in the movie.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-01-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that tops everyone's list, in my book!

Lessee.. front of the camera ones that come to mind... I've schmoozed with Tab Hunter, Adam Roarke, Jose Ferrer, Miguel Ferrer, Juanita Moore, George Clooney (back when he was just Rosemary's nephew)... and I was Phyllis George's favorite projectionist, back when she was first-lady of KY. I always ran her shows whenever she went to the movies or had special screenings. She never failed to chat me up.

Although, I have been more awestruck by meetings and friendships made with film editors, cinematographers, and others behind the camera.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: