Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cars 2? Why bother?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cars 2? Why bother??
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2008 07:13 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks this is totally unnecessary? Apparently the sequel will follow Lightning McQueen and Mater around the world meeting up with foreign cars. The sequel is due out in 2011.... [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you hear read this? PIXAR is really against sequels to there movies, except for the Toy Story franchise? I havn't heard this any where.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-25-2008 12:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is legit. During the Rocky Mountain convention, there was a seminar put on by Rentrak. The guy was demonstrating the release calendar feature and was showing how far it goes into the future... I remember seeing Cars 2 on Disney's list.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it was not everyones cup of tea, but the first Cars movie did do north of $250 million, and it sells a ton of merchandise to this day.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 12:22 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom line Sally is if it makes money they'll produce it. I've managed theatres playing films I wouldn't walk across the street to see for free. I actually enjoyed "Cars" at a theatre I was managing and booking. Packed the house too.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-26-2008 01:12 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB has it as a 2012 release. I really enjoyed Cars and don't mind at all that they want to take it for another spin.

[thumbsup]

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 07:27 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cars 2 will be released in 2011, John...it was originally 2012 but now Pixar's "Newt" will be taking that space. Nearly all the films I'm looking forward to are sequels...Pirates 4 is confirmed, Ghostbusters 3 is on it's way, apparently there could be another Bourne installment, and Toy Story 3 of course. After all that I'm not sure there's any movies left I'll want to watch. Apart from The Hobbit of course, which will be filming near us very soon!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-26-2008 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Cars, and I would go see a second one. I thought some of the photo realistic animation was spectacular, and I hope they try to push it even further. Of course the first one took over 2000 processor years to render, sooo they better get hoppin!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sally Ann Burgess
Ghostbusters 3 is on it's way
[puke] Why, why, why?! [Mad] [thumbsdown]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ghostbusters 2 was complete crap. A third one isn't pre-destined to share the same crappiness but probably will.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-26-2008 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed completely. A total waste of digital bits. At least one of the original cast (Aykroyd) is too fat to run around chasing ghosts! Maybe they can digitally put him back into shape.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-26-2008 11:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Pixar's Cars. Some members of F-T hated it, but that's not going to change how I feel about the movie. Cars was awesome. It also happens to be one of the very best looking movies one can buy on Blu-ray.

As much as I liked Cars, I have some feelings of dread about a sequel for that movie. However, Toy Story 2 was a lot of fun. And I'm pretty sure Toy Story 3 3D will be pretty good as well.

Pirates 4 and Ghostbusters 3? Yeesh. I'm already smelling poo poo fumes from that.

quote: Sally Ann Burgess
apparently there could be another Bourne installment
That is all but guaranteed. My father's literary agent is Henry Morrison, executor to the estate of Robert Ludlum, the author of the Bourne novels. He was an executive producer on the two previous Bourne movies and is talking with Universal about the movie. Hardly anything specific can be reported about it other than Matt Damon and director Paul Greenglass are attached and Scott Burns is working on the screenplay. Morrison is dealing with that project and working on a lot of other things -like my dad's own books and now screenplay work. Through that association I know a new Bourne movie is pretty certain (even IMDB has stuff posted about it). Morrison just finished working an optioning deal on a classic and controversial western novel so it can be made into a new movie. It was previously adapted into a movie decades ago. This one will be more true to the book, and R-rated for it. Obviously I'm not going to specifically say what the novel is since the movie deal isn't final yet. I'm hoping the best for my father since he has been working his ass off writing for the last 22 years and he's long overdue for some big success.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
This one will be more true to the book, and R-rated for it.
I'd be willing to bet they'll PG-13 it. You don't make a PG-13 rated franchise and then all of a sudden put in an R-rated segment (unless you're trying to kill it). You can make the PG-to-PG13 transition, but that's about it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Paul Newman's voice in the shitty first movie? Since he just croaked and is now a rotting corpse (maybe even being embalmed as I type this), I see this as a sign that Cars 2 should absolutely NOT even be attempted. If they make it closer to the book as Bobby says it could be decent, but I doubt Cars 2 will be R or PG-13.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-27-2008 12:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'd be willing to bet they'll PG-13 it. You don't make a PG-13 rated franchise and then all of a sudden put in an R-rated segment (unless you're trying to kill it).
The original western I'm hinting to was released in 1943. It was based on a novel written in 1940. There's no current "franchise" in place on it. The novel definitely has some stuff in it, that if accurately visualized, would get an R-rating. My father's screenplay of that old novel keeps much of that stuff intact.

Anyway, that's off topic. I only brought it up to show my father's business relationship with Henry Morrison -and that gives him a bit of an inside view on what's happening with the 4th Bourne movie.

quote: Joe Redifer
I see this as a sign that Cars 2 should absolutely NOT even be attempted. If they make it closer to the book as Bobby says it could be decent, but I doubt Cars 2 will be R or PG-13.
[Confused]
[Razz]

There's no doubt Cars 2 will be G-rated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: