Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Christmas Movies

Author Topic: Christmas Movies
Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2008 07:57 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is everyone planning on showing for the Holiday Season. Just looking it doesn't look like there will be much to choose from just 4 Christmases and one other that I can't remember the name of.

We plan to close for the month of November to put up a new screen and install new 35 mm equipment and are looking for a good film to open up with in December that will be a hit for our new Grand Opening.

Right now we are using a Powerpoint Projector and a 9x16 drop cloth, our new screen will be 16x32

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-17-2008 02:36 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the world would you close in November and miss out on Madagascar 2, Quantum of Solace, or Bolt.

Why aren't you trying to get the work done before November 1 or waiting until January.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-17-2008 12:43 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Holland
Right now we are using a Powerpoint Projector and a 9x16 drop cloth, our new screen will be 16x32

What?

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 06:46 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To explain what I am talking about and why we choose the month of November to be closed for the renovation I must first explain where we are.

The Fiske Theatre in Oak Grove, La. closed as a first run movie house in 1988 and shortly after that the late Donald Fiske donated the building to the West Carroll Chamber of Commerce.

For almost 20 years the theatre was leased to a gentlemen who did his best to maintain it and keep the doors open using it as a gospel music venue.

In June of last year the Chamber decided to refocus the theatre as a multipurpose venue and once again show movies.

With no working equipment, the screen and old stage walled off for a dressing room and 0.00 to start with we did the best we could by using a 9x16 drop cloth and a borrowed PowerPoint (LCD) projector. Since then we have built up enough money to purchase new 35 mm equipment and a new screen and will be closed the month of November and with volunteer labor and a little luck hope to be back up and running for a December Christmas movie.

I was just wondering what everyone else was playing during the Christmas Season as this will be our first venture into real cinema and not having to use 6-month old movies from Swank.

To take a look at the theatre visit www.myspace.com/fisketheatre

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-17-2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be perfectly honest, none of the Christmas themed movies look very good this year. There's nothing like a Santa Clause or Grinch. Depending on when you're going to re-open and the near by competition, I would recommend trying to secure a print of Bolt or Madagascar 2.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although "Extreme Movie" could be fantastic, it will probably have limited appeal. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" will probably suck hard, but may draw pretty well. "The Tale of Despereaux" could be a sleeper, but it's all about the happy meal promotion.

I guess I'd go with the Keanu Reeves choice. Not much of a choice, but Kathy Bates being in it gives it some hope.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
"The Tale of Despereaux" could be a sleeper, but it's all about the happy meal promotion.

This film is as far away from "all about the happy meal promotion" as you can get. Of all the "animated" films coming out this fall this is not the one McDonalds or Burger are going to be going after for there kids meals. This will do well with the arty type familys and children, but not the sugar and mc nugget ones.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking at doing a grand re-opening of sorts, why not do a classic Christmas movie, such as White Christmas.
Or do a popular recent Christmas movie like Grinch or Polar Express.
We will be running White Christmas and Miracle on 34st Street this year in December.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a good tag line for older films is "come see it on the BIG screen".

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year thats what we did right out of the shoot. On December 1 of last year we showes White Christmas. I kind of like the idea of Madagascar. I know I can probably look at another site but when is the release date going to be on that one, and when is the likely date that a little guy like us could get it for a weekend show.

Right now we show a movie on the third weekend of each month and have alternate entertainment, concerts etc one of the other weekends.

We have the Louisiana Hayride from Shreveport coming to town on October 11. So if any of you are close to North Louisiana come join us for a classic night of entertainment.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2008 02:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Although "Extreme Movie" could be fantastic
Nope - any movie that has the word "Movie" in the title is an automatic piece of crap.

See: Disaster Movie, Epic Movie, Scary Movie, The Muppet Movie, A Goofy Movie, Piglet's Big Movie...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: