Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Box Office Feeds

Author Topic: Box Office Feeds
Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 03:26 AM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any know where you could receive US Box Office Feeds, and or other countries for a cinema website?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 06:54 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Cat
Does any know where you could receive US Box Office Feeds, and or other countries for a cinema website?
What do you mean...box office results? www.boxofficemojo.com is a good one if you do. Or www.thenumbers.com .

Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what has happened with Box Office Mojo, they haven't updated their international box office figures since July.
I am not sure if they are in financial trouble, or if they are going to put them back online, or just stop the international section. Does anyone know?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 07:30 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked and it shows an update of 8/11.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 09:39 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's USA, not international. Have you tried emailing them?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the top of the international page link it says "NOTE: The International section is currently on hiatus and will be back in full force in mid-August. There will be limited updates until then."

It appears to be updated as of today : link

Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 01:51 AM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

I have emailed them and no response as of yet.

At the top of the international page link it says "NOTE: The International section is currently on hiatus and will be back in full force in mid-August. There will be limited updates until then."

Thanks for that Anslem. For some reason I must have kept skipping over this message.

Anslem is right they are updating the Gross Box Office for movies total combined boxoffice internationally but not for each individual country, of which I am mainly after Australia.

They seemed to have stopped for all countries outside the US around the start of July. Box Office Mojo International for Australia

I would like to know why they have suddenly stopped updating this service for the last 6 weeks? As I am a subscriber. But I guess I will just have to watch this week and see if they can fix what ever problem they have encountered.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-12-2008 05:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking summer vacation. We'll see...

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sam.

If you are after Australian figures you could try

www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/boxoffice.asp

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-13-2008 07:01 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urban Cinefile are useless. They used to be good and reliable but then they got greedy and decided to charge for the figures. That obviously didn't work as they are now back to being free...and the figures are now inaccurate, unless that is, The Dark Knight opened a week earlier in Australia than the rest of the world. [Roll Eyes]

If only there was another website that gave reliable figures free of charge...MovieMarshal.com.au used to be great but they lost interest. Maybe someone else will take on the challenge, eh...?

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The challenge is that the Box Office data is expensive. It's expensive for sites like mine to provide (because we buy the data from suppliers that charge large amounts for it), so if there isn't much revenue potential for a set of BO figures (like International), you might run into some problems finding them.

I only do U.S. Box Office figures:

http://www.bigscreen.com/NowShowing.php?view=boxoffice
http://www.bigscreen.com/extranet/boxoffice.php (version of the above for our Featured Theaters -- reg. req'd)

and I have never received a request from our readers or Featured Theaters to do anything more than that.

Sites that aren't paying for them and just getting them "unofficially" will either give up because hand-entering them or scraping them off a site is too much of a bother, or they get shut down by the services they are scraping from or the services that supply the data.

Bottom line is, if you want data to republish, you have to pay for it. If you're not paying for it, it's either unreliable or you're most likely breaking someone's access terms by getting it and republishing it.

Data suppliers are very insistent about their customers not reselling or publishing the data in an importable form, and some sites choose to ignore those stipulations. At least until they get their Cease & Desist letter from guys with the "Attorney at Law" moniker after their names...

Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 06:32 AM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woth Box Office Mojo it is now the 7th of September and the last update was July 24-27th for Australia. So far it looks like they may not be continually updating their international section. They still have the wording that they will be back in full force in August though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: