Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pineapple Express (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pineapple Express
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is by no means an endorsement of drug use, but..

I was wondering if anyone by chance worked at a theatre or has heard of a theatre that had a 4:20 showing of this movie?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 08:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the only time you have free? [Wink]

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 08:05 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just saying, a showing at that particular time might attract a certain demographic that would help to boost your concession per caps. [Smile] Strictly a business decision.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 4:20 show, more for the humor of it than anything else. I also did a 3:10 show of 3:10 to Yuma.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 10:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, living in a small town and not being anywhere near that "scene," I admit: I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 10:57 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality pineapples cost around $4.20? [Confused]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-09-2008 11:00 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"420" - shorthand or code for that "I-30" stuff, a.k.a. shit. Several theaters here had management with enough sense of humor to program 4:20 shows for the "Harold & Kumar" films. This one will proly get the same treatment.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 11:09 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck - I understand today's youth. I have been programming 4:20 shows since "Half-Baked" came out. I currently run a 4:20 show of "Pineapple" and I ran a 4:20 show of "Harold and Kumar" -both one and two.

Its part of marketing to the crowd that is going to see the movie. They see that your theatre 'gets it' and they come to see the film at your theatre.

In no way does this promote drug use. It's called MARKETING 101.
[Big Grin]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-10-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the studio actually scheduled 4:20 screenings on the day BEFORE it was released instead of midnight shows.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 12:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
Heck - I understand today's youth.
I like to think I do too - having six of them for employees, we hear quite a bit - but I guess this particular thing hasn't made it here yet. I'll have to look and see if the Carmikes in Billings are running 4:20 shows.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's that funny odor in the restroom?

Jaime Tuzzio
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Jaime Tuzzio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
Its part of marketing to the crowd that is going to see the movie. They see that your theatre 'gets it' and they come to see the film at your theatre.
In no way does this promote drug use. It's called MARKETING 101.

At my first theatre in Eugene, OR, when I did the showtimes for movies aimed at that type of audience I would put in a 4:20 show whenever possible, just for that reason. We weren't the big guy in town so whatever helped was great, and it did seem to have a very positive effect on our percap. The only downside was how many times we had to hear "I need two for [whatever] at [pause] four- [pause] twenty [pause, waggle of eyebrows, snort at friend, etc.]."

I didn't do the showtimes for all of our "Pineapple Express" prints so no 4:20 showing. Not really in a town that would note the significance anymore, except for the kids who aren't old enough to see it without a parent or legal guardian.

[ 08-11-2008, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Jaime Tuzzio ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at the Billings Carmike ads and (after squinting at the appx. 3 point text) found they are showing PE at 4:15.

So I guess that means Carmike doesn't "get it" either.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good...maybe they allow for trailers of the double feature re-release of Cheech and Chong's 'Up In Smoke' and 'Cheech And Chong's Next Movie'

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
but I guess this particular thing hasn't made it here yet
I'm sure it has. 4:20 has been around for many years as the special time of day for potheads. I first heard it in '96 and I remember feeling very not-cool for not knowing what it meant when everyone else did. Now I feel stupid for never putting it together to run "those kind" of movies at 4:20 for a marketing scheme. Thanks everyone for the idea, I'll certainly use it in the future.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: