Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Best Cinema in New York City

Author Topic: Best Cinema in New York City
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm sure there will be many opinions on this matter, but I'm going to be in NYC for a conference this weekend and want to see The Dark Knight. I was looking at the Imax at Lincoln Square but all the shows appear to be sold out.

Any thoughts or reccomendations? I'm staying in Manhattan, near the southern end of Central Park.

Thanks in advance!

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 10:15 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Paris theatre. I think it's on 59th st. I'm sure they won't be playing Dark Knight though.
Bob

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-18-2008 10:39 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For plexes the AMC/Loews Lincoln Square is one of my favorites. The next plex is the AMC Empire 25 on 42nd Street, that is good. The Ziegfeld Theatre (1000 seats) would be a great place to see it, but "Momma Mia" is there in Digital projection.

Enjoy NYC, it going tobe HOT this weekend. [thumbsup]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the Ziefeld is not playing it. I went ahead and purchased tickets for Lincoln Square. I'm in auditorium 1. Anyone have specs for that auditorium?

Thanks!

AJG

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been rather unimpressed with the Ziegfeld's presentation in the past few years, particularly on their 'scope titles, and especially during their classics series.

However, I do generally enjoy the presentation at Loew's 34th, so if they're playing it there, you might want to check it out on their screen.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-18-2008 05:03 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The presentation at 34th Street is not bad, but the staff service SUCKS!! [thumbsdown]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2008 11:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I ended up going to see the film TWICE while I was in NYC. I was so impressed with the presentation, I couldn't resist. There is no reason why other multis can't have great sound like this, that is, actual low frequency. I remember when our local Cinemark used to have gut wrenching bass, but lately, it is non-existent.

Thanks for the recommendation again Bill! I had an absolute blast. Anyone know what sound formate they are running in? I noticed no drops in the digital track at all, so I thought maybe DTS since every time I see a film in Dolby Digital or SDDS, there is always at least one drop.

AJG

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first Ziegfeld experience earlier this year, 'Sweeney Todd' and while it was an excellent presentation, both visually and aurally, I didn't realize the distance from the screen to the back of the auditorium is considerable, I was under the impression the theatre space would be more like the Senator or the Uptown where the screen is so upclose to the audience.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 09:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Loews Astor Plaza in Times Square (now the Nokia Theatre) had just as long of a throw from the booth. I liked that one more than the Ziegfeld Theatre.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: