Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 3D Glasses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 3D Glasses
Poon Limpapun
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Poon Limpapun   Author's Homepage   Email Poon Limpapun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

We've just got the new Dolby Digital 3D System retrofitted into our digital projectors and these units comes with expensive 3D glasses that we let the audience borrow while they watch the movie.

As you know, these glasses are really expensive (US$100+)and they are re-useable after proper cleaning, what do you guys do to prevent customers from taking it home with them as a souvenir? We can't afford to lose more than 10 pairs of glasses a day so I need to figure out a solution to prevent this from happening.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 03:29 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collect them as they exit and have someone in the theatre making sure no one goes out the exit doors with them. It will probably be a pain in the ass.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Poon Limpapun
We can't afford to lose more than 10 pairs of glasses a day
man I dont think my theatre could afford to lose 1 pair a day! but tell you what I will personally babysit the theatre for $1,000 a day and garantee no glasses be lost! [Big Grin]

Seriously though I worked at an IMAX theatre for a time and we just placed an usher at the exit at the end of the movie to collect 3D glasses since the usher HAD to be there anyway to clean after the show was done. I believe more glasses got broke then lost in the time I was at that theatre.

You could do a preshow annoucement to turn in the glasses to an usher to see if it helps also.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 06:52 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he's concerned that he will lose ten or more glasses daily.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 07:20 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
I believe he's concerned that he will lose ten or more glasses daily.
Yes I realise that. my first part of my last post I was trying to be funny and failing miserably. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby glasses come with an embedded chip to trigger security alarms just like at regular merchandise stores.

You could install alarms on the exits.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 09:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can assure you that, as a Dolby dealer, the glasses don't cost $100 each. Maybe half that if your dealer is marking up more than average. Louis

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-08-2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that his dealer is Golden Duck Advance Technology...

The cost of the glasses probably reflect a currency difference plus what it takes (transportation wise) to get the glasses into the country and also any tarriffs.

Things are not always the same everywhere in the world when it comes to commerce.

Steve

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The multiplexes I saw in Thailand handle large crowds on a regular basis with seating done quickly and in mass. The price does reflect import duty and lack of competitive options.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-08-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
You could install alarms on the exits.
If it's a multiplex, I'm sure that this would be lots of "fun" whenever someone gets up to use the bathroom mid-show. [Roll Eyes]

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-08-2008 10:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

You wouldn't want to put them at each auditorium...that would be more expensive. You would want to have them at closer to the exit of the complex.

You would be wise to have an employee at the exit where the detectors are placed for each show...think about it...the cost of one hour of employee time is substantially less than just one pair of glasses!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-09-2008 12:38 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with both Louis and Steve's points. Price for the glasses was lowered at Showest, but currency difference or not, $100 is way high. Maybe a typo or misunderstanding?

Michael Wilkinson
The Entertainment King of Colusa and Beyond

- posted 07-09-2008 01:19 AM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you guys seen how some shopping carts are coming equipped clutches that activate--locking up one wheel when you cross the boundary line? Maybe you could do a similar thing where when a customer crosses the boundary line the glasses begin to issue a painful electric shock or something of the like... [thumbsup]

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2008 03:32 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Poon Limpapun
We can't afford to lose more than 10 pairs of glasses a day so I need to figure out a solution to prevent this from happening
We have experienced a loss of less than 20 pairs over the course of 3 movies. Currently the only loss-prevention in place is to have floor staff at the exit of the theater as well as at the entrance. Glasses are collected there, and the staff makes sure that everyone drops off their glasses.

As Steve suggested, you can install the detectors at your doors so that an alarm goes off when someone tries to exit the building with glasses. This system isn't cheap though.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for listening assistance devices, we request a drivers license or credit card to be left with us. You could require a drivers license, or credit card imprint, or cash deposit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: