Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » List of Theatres Showing "Hancock" in 4K

Author Topic: List of Theatres Showing "Hancock" in 4K
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 12:28 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As per Sony, they are:

AMC AMC Plaza Bonita 14 3050 Plaza Bonita Rd., National City, CA 91950

AMC AMC Tyler 16 3375 Tyler Ave., Riverside, CA 92503

AMC AMC Orchards 12 14653 Orchards Pkwy., Westminster, CO 80023

AMC AMC Avenue Forsyth 12 410 Peachtree Pkwy., Cumming, GA 30040

AMC AMC Highland Village 12 4090 Barton Creek, Highlands Village, TX 75077

Cinemark Cinemark Tinseltown Plano 3800 Dallas Pkwy., Plano, TX 75093

Marcus Majestic Brookfield Theatre 770 North Springdale, Waukesha, WI 53186

Muvico Muvico Rosemont 18 9701 Bryn Mawr Ave., Rosemount, IL 60018

AMC Yonge Dundas 24 10 Dundas Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2G9

After further clarification from Sony, these are the correct dates and theaters. The Landmark screens are equipped for 4K but not showing Hancock, same goes for the AMC in Indianapolis.

[ 06-27-2008, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Mark Ogden ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 10:31 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Landmark Ritz East 125 S. Second St., Philadelphia, PA 19106
Wow, when did that happen? I must be out of the loop or something.

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 12:06 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!

Look at all those Regals!!

E

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 04:41 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The marketing department at AMC (if they were smart) could REALLY do a number with this; announce that they've now got the NEXT GIANT STEP IN DIGITAL CINEMA TECHNOLOGY....giving the public an image so breathtakingly spectular that it DOUBLES the clarity and resolution of the old, first generation digital systems! Why settle for standard digital cinema when you can see Ultra Resolution Digital Cinema?

You know....hype like that. Then there's this:

quote:
From the Hollywood Reporter (posted on the Exhibitor's Screening Room list)

Sony unveils new 4K projector:
Demoing new equipment at Cinema Expo

By Carl DiOrio

June 25, 2008, 06:00 PM ET

AMSTERDAM -- The trade show floor at Cinema Expo 2008 is filled with the customary popcorn, theater-seat and tech vendors, but Sony Electronics reps are steering prospective customers to a secret demo suite to view something potentially much more watershed.

Sony has unveiled a 4K digital projector with easy adaptability to 3-D projection. Previously, two of the pricey projectors were necessary to rig an auditorium for 4K 3-D, preventing the wide use of the high-resolution systems for 3-D exhibition.

Once considered the next-generation technology for digital cinema, Sony's 4K systems have been struggling to overcome cost and manufacturing woes, and more conventional 2K d-cinema systems have remained the prevalent hardware in the marketplace. So Sony executives -- hoping soon to remedy the additional 3-D headache -- are demonstrating prototypes of the new 4K projectors with the aim of bringing the hardware to market by Christmas.

"It's from the customer that you get the best feedback," said Tore Mortensen, a Sony business manager now working with theater operators in Norway to test 3-D 4K projectors in four multiplexes.

Hmmm, I'll bet there are a lot of Regal young turk execs who thought they were pretty smart jumping on the digital bandwagon at 2K, and who are right about now getting REALLY drunk and banging their heads against the wall.

2K = standard TV; 4K = high def tv. Maybe the government will shut down 2K projection and insist everyone either buy 4K projectors or get converter boxes for their old 2K sets. Maybe they'll give Regal some $40 discount coupons for the converter boxes. [Big Grin]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please correct me if I am wrong on this:

It is my understanding that the current 4K technology for Digital Projection has less color ability as compared to the current 2K technology.

Meaning - that you get a more detail picture but less colors (thousands of colors compared to millions)

Don't mean to "jump in", but this was discussed at a 'seminar' I was at last week.

Anyone care to comment?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 02:51 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard the same thing - i.e. Sony can only do 10 bit(?) color where TI is doing the DCI required 12 bit(?).

Since there are a growing number of Sonys out there I can only assume the studios either don't care or were promised that the units will get upgraded eventually.

Anytime I hear of another Sony install I hear the question "have they solved the 12 bit color thing yet?"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
The marketing department at AMC (if they were smart) could REALLY do a number with this; announce that they've now got the NEXT GIANT STEP IN DIGITAL CINEMA TECHNOLOGY
Of course they will have to wait till the 12 bit issue is solved as well as the heat issue as well as the security issue as well as the high lamp cost issue and then there's just the Sony issue that has to be solved which we've thrown in for good measure, and on and on.

Its interesting to note that BARCO is developing a small 4K projector but its only in the 5000 lumen range... mere candle power and really of no use except at home or in a boardroom. The 4K projectors are more like other makers trying to pour the light from a 6kw lamp onto a set of .98" DLP chips... it just ain't ever goin to happen without em goin to charcoal.

Mark

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2008 03:25 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume that it is the case, but can anyone verify whether the post production work on Hancock was actually done in 4K, and not in 2K and subsequently up-rezzed?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
giving the public an image so breathtakingly spectular that it DOUBLES the clarity and resolution of the old
Actually it quadrouples the resolution. 4k has twice the pixels in each dimension making 4x the pixels total.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2008 11:17 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this in 4K. It looked really damn good. However, I did not notice a substantial improvement over 2K. I think a lot of that has to do with the source material. The movie is a bit grainy. The biggest difference I saw was a lack of jagged edges on text. But even they were present on the subtitles near the beginning of the movie.

Obviously, it's hard to compare to 2K when I haven't seen the movie in both formats. But I wasn't blown away like I hoped I would be. I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to see something that was shot in 4K.

Also, I was told that the next 4K release will probably be QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

Poon Limpapun
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Poon Limpapun   Author's Homepage   Email Poon Limpapun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that we are about to get a 4K Digital projector and we are going to make it ready for Journey 3D or something like that.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 01:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the District suburbs are getting the three IMAX digital screens - it's unfortunate that AMC is shafting the in-town theatres, a 4K system at either the Georgetown or Mazza Gallerie theatres would be a very welcome addition.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Of course they will have to wait till the 12 bit issue is solved as well as the heat issue as well as the security issue as well as the high lamp cost issue
No they won't.

Mark, since when do marketing people ever have to worry about REALITY? [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: