Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Assigned Seating (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Assigned Seating
Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 08:56 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious about something: On a trip to Thailand I went to a theatre and witnessed the most curious thing. Assigned seating!

When you bought your ticket at the boxoffice the attendant would ask what movie and when you made your selection they would pull up the available seating on a computer monitor that faced you. It showed sold seats in one color and available seats in another. This accounted for sales made onsite and online. Just like a sporting event!

You were given your choice of seats and your seat was locked in when you purchased your ticket. The auditorium #, showtime/title, and seat assignment were all on your printed ticket.

Auditorium doors were opened for seating at the posted showtime and trailers started 10 minutes later.

All the seats were clearly marked by row number and seat number. This was a very pleasant experience as there was no pressure to get a good seat or have somebody hold a seat for a friend because you already knew where you would be seated and just made way to it!

I am not sure what type of software was being used for the point of sale so I can't comment on it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and whether others think this is a good idea for selling tickets.

Good Day!

|  IP: Logged

Jaime Tuzzio
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Jaime Tuzzio         Edit/Delete Post 
ArcLight Cinemas in California have assigned seating. I have a friend in L.A. who swears by it. I'm sure there are several other theatres with assigned seating.

I like the concept, I'd just be real bummed if I settled down in my assigned seat and then had some squirmer sit down next to me, or someone who smells like sausage behind me, and then I can't move.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This kind of system was introduced in Utah's Megaplex theatres and I thought I didn't like it. It sort of kills the thrill of deciding, at the last minute, which movie to see (and then, because it was the last minute, not being able to find a good seat). And I wondered why you'd need a reserved seat for a noon matinee on a Tuesday.

But now I think it's great. I can get my ticket days in advance and then show up at the last minute without worrying about my seat. There's no need to have long, awful lines in the lobby... ever!

The only thing that I can't stand is that they charge an extra 75 cents when you buy a ticket through the Internet. Why should it cost so much, especially when I'm saving them the expense of having a huge staff of real people at the box office?

Anyway, check out any showtime at any of their theatres and then use the "preview seats" feature to see the type of thing you saw in Thailand.

http://www.megaplextheatres.com/showtimes/ogden_the_junction.php

They have a really useful web site, by the way. My hat is off.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 11:04 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that is a great website. Makes buying a ticket with a reserved seat easy!!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-01-2008 12:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assigned seating is still the norm for first run in some parts of Asia. In Japan, the tradition of doing "roadshow" presentations for major first run titles continues. Assigned seating is a part of that roadshow viewing experience, along with things like being able to purchase souvenier theater programs for the title being shown.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-01-2008 03:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to guess, I would think the main reason assigned seating fell out of favor is because it would require additional usher personnel to help get people to their seat - especially in a large megaplex. I think it would also encourage people to show up late which means they are disturbing everyone else in the auditorium - especially if their seats are in the middle of the row.

As for why internet ticketing costs more, I can give you several possible reasons:
1. It's a surcharge to pay for the cost of credit card processing.
2. It's a surcharge to pay for the additional cost of buying, building, and maintaining a web site which does on-line sales.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure that it has something to do with an additional cost that is not incurred when tickets are sold on-site. It's easy to dismiss the savings of not having a (extra) box office cashier, but most of the time that cashier is still going to be needed anyways and their hourly wage likely averages out to a couple pennies per ticket.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-01-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker

As for why internet ticketing costs more, I can give you several possible reasons:
1. It's a surcharge to pay for the cost of credit card processing.
2. It's a surcharge to pay for the additional cost of buying, building, and maintaining a web site which does on-line sales.

1) IMO, two isn't several. [Wink]

2) The surcharge being for credit cards doesn't seem valid since they don't surcharge you for other credit card purchases

3) Charging extra because they bought a website isn't entirely valid either because they would buy/run a company website regardless of whether they sell tickets through it

It's a convenience charge. They figure "if other companies can charge convenience fees and no one complains why can't we do the same?"

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 04:34 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know our site charges a fee for online sales because it is handled by a separate company and that's the way that company makes money. Our website and ticketing system don't handle the sales, and it has to be farmed out.

Edited to add: By using the outside company, we are listed on various movie listing sites without any action on our part, too.

AND they charge $1 per ticket if you sign up for e-mail alerts, $1.95 per ticket if you don't.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the idea of assigned seating. I would rather choose who I sit next to/in front of/behind...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
3) Charging extra because they bought a website isn't entirely valid either because they would buy/run a company website regardless of whether they sell tickets through it
A site that does e-commerce is a lot more expensive to build/maintain. If we did internet sales I would definitely charge extra for that.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 11:41 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One issue I could see with assigned seating is possibly losing concession sales. If people can show up at the last second and just take their seat they won't have time to stop at the concession stand without missing the beginning of the movie (at least missing trailers).

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 06:40 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a charge for each transaction done by the software for our internet sales. It is a company choice as to passing this charge to the customer or eating it from the gross.

Assigned seating implies that you will enforce the seating assignment in the auditorium. That means you will have extra staff to seat customers and to settle disputed seating when customers misread their tickets and sit where they like upon arrival.

If customers plan to have snacks from the concession they will plan ahead and arrive accordingly. They will, however, not be very happy to wait in line at the concession or bar since the reason they bought the advance tickets was to avoid standing in a line.

KEN

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vue Sheffield have recently started doing assigned seating, and a few other cinemas in the UK do it as well. However, it's not very common.

If buying a ticket at the box office, the clerk will ask you whereabouts you want to sit and assign you a seat. If you book a ticket online for collection later, a diagram of the auditorium comes up on the website - you click on which seat you want.
However, if you buy a ticket at the ATMs there, you have no choice - a seat is assigned automatically.

I guess it's the only method of selling the different kinds of seats, particularly in the Evo screen (Superior seats, Sofa pods or beanbags!)

Edit: Here's a picture of the seating diagram from Vue's website. This diagram changes dynamically as more and more seats are sold, and you can also move your selected seat around.
 -

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 01:53 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

Does the "DISABLED" seat mean it is for physically challenged or is it truly not available for use?

KEN

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-02-2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the other issues I see with assigned seating is a box office transaction is going to take many time longer because each person has to select where they want to sit. So on a busy Friday or weekend, the line is going to move very slow - even if you have extra cashiers.

I would assume many of these systems have the capability to auto assign seats, but I would that would create many headaches from customers who are not happy with their seats and either sit where they want or come back demanding a change or refund.

Assigned seating might work well for a single screen or for a special showing - like a midnight movie. But I think it would be far to cumbersome to work well in a megaplex during peak times - which would be when assigned seating is most needed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: