Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Proper Snap Disc Thermostat

Author Topic: Proper Snap Disc Thermostat
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 11:44 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what would be the or suggestion on a snap disc thermostat control for a popcorn warmer? We currently have a White Rodgers 3L01-180 ( 180 open~140 close) and that is in my opinion way too hot on the upper end. This was installed some years ago by electricians. I currently considering a 3L01-150 (150 open~110 close) or a 3L01-165 (165 open~125 close).

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-01-2008 12:32 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Gold Medal manuals in the warehouse, the high limit thermostats in their brand of warmers is 190 degrees F.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 02:52 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn 190! [Eek!] The lid on our Stein is hot enough to burn your hand most of the time at 180 let alone the scoops. I haven't been able to find any info on Steins and the model# info sticker is no longer present. I was thinking of the lower temp switches since food only has to be keep at or around 140.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-01-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that these are high-limit thermostats that control where the temps max out, like a circuit breaker. There is usually another thermostat that is adjustable to control the actual desired temp, or a specific wattage heating element used, though I'm not sure about your particular equipment.

Maybe if you posted a photo, someone could identify the model and provide a manual.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2008 12:34 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On some of the Gold Medal machines, the high limit thermostat is the only thing regulating the temp. Keep in mind that the 190 degree thermostat is located very close to the heating element, so it's doubtful that the warmer is kept at 190. That temperature is pretty low for an electronic element anyways.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: