Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DHL to use UPS domestically! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DHL to use UPS domestically!
Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 08:04 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right. DHL will go out of the airplane business across North America; they're buying time on UPS flights. Louis

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 11:59 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time they did something right, though the most nearly right thing they could do is get out of the delivery business. Three years ago they called the theatre to tell us that they had a package for us but the driver couldn't find the building and that we needed to come to their facility to pick it up. First they asked if it is a very small building, NO! four stories and the biggest building on the street, then she said it must be new--NO again nearly 80 years, then she said there must be no sign, wrong again 6 feet high and directly over the sidewalk. Finally she said it would go back out immediately, this time by a different driver.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never a problem here with DHL or UPS. Our film is picked up and delivered at my day job... both drivers will place our film into my vehicle for me, and DHL will pick up outgoing shipments from the vehicle. Saves me the hassle of hauling the cans into the store. [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 08:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DHL will still make the deliveries. UPS will supply the air service only (lift.) Louis

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 08:55 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm.

What does this mean for Technicolor in Wilmington, OH (being just
a stone's throw away from DHL's airport hub)?

A partial answer:

Wilmington may lose 6,100 ABX jobs in DHL-UPS deal
quote:

ABX Air's night sorting operation will be eliminated under a contract DHL Express and UPS are negotiating, with up to 6,100 jobs being cut, the Wilmington News Journal reported late Thursday.

Deutsche Post World Net announced Wednesday that its DHL subsidiary planned to partner with UPS to handle its North American air shipments. ABX currently provides that service, along with ASTAR Air Cargo, which DHL partially owns. Both operate from Wilmington's DHL Air Park, a privately owned airfield.

DHL contributes more than 70 percent of ABX's revenue, according to its parent Air Transport Services Group Inc. (NASDAQ: ATSG).

John Graber, president of ABX, told the News Journal that when DHL's restructuring is complete, the company will have 900 or 1,000 employees in Wilmington, versus about 7,000 it now employs. The cargo airline has about 10,000 employees worldwide.

ABX's daytime sorting operation is likely to continue, "but that's really the only piece that's left as we understand it," Graber said in the story.

About 3,100 people work on the night-sorting operation, some of them area farmers who moonlight for health coverage and extra money, the newspaper said.

Deutsche Post said in a news conference in Bonn, Germany, that DHL is restructuring because its U.S. operations have been losing money, with a projected $1.3 billion loss this year, according to the newspaper. At the news conference, DHL Express President John Mullen added that Wilmington will no longer operate as a domestic hub for DHL.

In a separate news release, ASTAR crew members represented by the Air Line Pilots Association criticized the move, saying that it will call for a government inquiry into "the absurd result of a company depending on its chief competitor for the most crucial aspects of its express operation."

The Airline Professional Association/Teamsters Local 1224, which represents ABX pilots, weighed in on the issue Wednesday, calling for the resignation of Air Transport President Joe Hete, among other criticisms.

--jhawk

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with the Billings MT. DHL hub manager today and she informed me that everyone in the hub had been given notice and that they would be closing July 23. Apparently DHL is pulling out of Montana, Wyoming, and parts of Idaho. She also said they would be abandoning a lot of their other smaller markets but wasn't sure of which ones. Times are getting tough in the big empty parts of the country... [Frown]

Donna Sylvester
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Donna Sylvester   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Sylvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My delivery driver told me the same thing today. She got her pink slip, effective the end of the month, as did everyone else, including the manager, at the Redding, CA airport DHL office.

I spoke to a Technicolor supervisor tonight and she said not to worry, the films would still be shipped by DHL. How will that work?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely, they will run the service out of San Francisco.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPS does some very interesting things for customers.

I got a part delivered by the US Post Office. The part was sent from the supplier by UPS and then turned over to the post office here in town upon arrival. So UPS carried it the long haul but the Post Office delivered it.

I assume that a similar arrangement could be working for DHL. The film companys turn the features over to UPS and then UPS gives the shipment to DHL for delivery to the theatre.

KEN

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 05:45 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work part time at the main PO in Billings and every day I see UPS, Fedex, and DHL trucks dropping off parcels to be forwarded to remote parts of the state. It's the only feasible way to get stuff delivered in remote areas without paying a fortune. They've been doing it this way around here for years.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-03-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of this surprises me as DHL was operating many many old DC-8's, possibly still some 707's and they are both incredible gas pigs.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-03-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Caron
I work part time at the main PO in Billings and every day I see UPS, Fedex, and DHL trucks dropping off parcels to be forwarded to remote parts of the state.
Amazon does this for "rezzos" (our UPS man's term for residential deliveries). They ship via UPS to the post office, which then puts it into the customer's PO box. That's cheaper than the UPS guy trying to find a hundred or more houses in a day.

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and a lot cheaper than sending a truck out on a 150 mile trip with 2 dvd's and a box from fingerhut.. [Eek!]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a letter from TES which states:

Starting in July, prints will be delivered by Sky Courier, aka DHL Sameday, at the same rates and essentially the same windows...

and:

Starting in October, "some other arrangement" will be used which is not final yet. The scary part is this sentence: "This delivery service has possibility of price change and less accommodating deliveries."

They ask for suggestions on which delivery companies to use. If you like how you receive your Deluxe prints, you can e-mail this guy Tim Burke and suggest that they use the same carriers. Call him at 800-993-4567 x6089.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 08:47 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Was that a fax?

FYI, Tim Burke is the General Manager of Technicolor Cinema Distribution, and the head honcho at the Wilmington depot (the head honcho). He's a pretty sharp guy and in my experience very responsive.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: