Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Rat problem at Sacramento Century Complex

Author Topic: Rat problem at Sacramento Century Complex
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 03:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24894009

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - An infestation of rats and mice has led to the partial shutdown of the Century Stadium 14 movie theater in Sacramento. The Sacramento County Environmental Management Department ordered the closure of two of three snack bars in the complex on Thursday, while theater operators voluntarily closed two screens to deal with the rodent problem.
Twelve other screens remained open at the complex, which is located at Arden and Ethan ways.
Authorities said the infestation has been a problem in recent months. Several patrons complained about seeing rodents.
KCRA 3 took a hidden camera inside the theater Wednesday after receiving a complaint about rodents in the theater.
Kristin Hoffman said her boyfriend felt a rat brush his elbow.
"Sitting on the seat there next to him was a black rat about six or seven inches long," Hoffman said.
Health officials were working with theater operators to eradicate the unwelcome creatures. Meanwhile, red placards are posted warning patrons.
According to an inspection report, about 15 rodent droppings were seen in a cabinet below the hotdog roller at one of the snack bars.
More droppings were found on the floor of the snack bar kitchen, on top of a water heater and in an area where the projector is located.
An inspector also found droppings, old food wrappers, trash and debris behind an access panel behind the kitchen area.
Inspectors said part of the problem was that theater management was not requiring workers to clean up theaters after each show.
Officials expected that one of the closed snack bars could reopen Friday after an inspection.
KCRA 3 made two calls to Century Theaters for comment, but had received no response.

Maybe the rats will team up and take down the walls that divide the large domes into 2 theaters, and restore them to their former glory! This is the oldest theater in the area (opened in 1967) that has been continuously showing first-run films, starting out as two large domes with additional screens added over the years, but around 1974 one dome was twinned and the other met the same fate in 1978. (Click on the link to see a picture of the outside of the original dome.) Watching a movie in the half-dome theaters is pure torture- I haven't been in there in over 15 years and don't know why it has stayed in business this long. (If they ever did restore the large theaters, I promise I will attend showings there at least once per week!) VIVA LOS RATONES! [evil]

[ 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-30-2008 03:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this one of the Century locations now operated by Cinemark? Apparently it is. Also at Cinematour. Sounds like they have a management problem there. [uhoh]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 04:18 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Sounds like they have a management problem there.
Well, that's nothing new- I worked on floor staff there very briefly in 1992, it was a traumatic experience I've been trying to forget ever since. I do remember mice being in a back room (they had glue traps set up) and on my last day there someone had reported a rat in the womens' restroom.

Some of the dates on that Cinematour site are wrong- the 2 smaller domes (which thankfully were never split) were added in 1974 according to newspaper ads I looked up. 8 more screens were added on in 1994, but I've never seen them and probably never will.

The worst mouse experience I've had though was at the now-gone Cinema 2 theater in Davis- the soda syrup bag-in-boxes were upstairs outside the projection room door and would often leak onto the floor. One night after shutting off everything and leaving I saw a mouse stuck in the Coke syrup, struggling to get free. I ran like hell out of there and left a note for the manager downstairs. Don't know why mice scare me, but they do! [Eek!]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-30-2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Servers as a nice reminder for employees about why it's important to clean up after every show.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 11:36 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now Showing: "Ratatouille 2: A mix of animation and LIVE ACTION"

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 12:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem with rodents, etc. Hired an exterminator and in two months the problem was gone. We're surrounded by restaurants so monthly treatments are necessary but it keeps them under control. The problem is you can't poison mice and rats, they will go somewhere in your building and die and the rotting corpses will really stink up the place. The exterminator here put out more than 100 traps of all kinds on the first visit and the first week they caught 27 mice. They make a map of where all the traps are so they can check them all every visit.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Management will supply furry, portable foot warmers at no additional charge." Louis

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 09:53 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a common problem, especially in theaters near the water, and even worse when it gets cold outside. The auditorium needs to be cleaned up right after every show, rather then waiting until 7:0am or something. If you don't, the rats have plenty of non-poisoned food in the auditoriums, and will not be interested in any food in laid traps.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 10:37 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only this can occur in a house that has been associated with the late Raymond J, Syufy. Imagine advertising something as "Syufy Pizza".Any Italian worth his salt would be insulted. Imagine; a Syrian pizza.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-03-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 rodent droppings -- hey that's wussy stuff. That reporter needs to come to New York City -- you can see that many rats scurring about the streets any night. And they are brazen, tuff New York rats -- you can stamp your foot, yell and scream and throw stuff at them (if you dare to get that close), and they'll just give you one of those "So what's your effin problem, a-hole?" looks and ignore you.

Have any of you seen the video that all the NY stations were running of the dozens of rats hopping around on the tables and counters in a Wendy's eatery? They were having a feakin party right there with 50 or 60 people on the street peering at them thru the big front windows and the news cameras shining bright lights at them. The couldn't be bothered. These rats looked like they owned the place. And it's right next to the old Waverly Theatre on 7th Ave in Manhattan (now an IFC operation). You just KNOW the rats had run of the theatre as well.

We have mice in the theatres and in our office suite a-plenty. While we can keep them at bay with all the traps and poison, for the most part it's a stalemate -- they reproduce as fast as we kill them; sometimes we get ahead, sometimes they do. Occassionally you do smell the dead ones but our walls being so thick, luckily it's not been a really big problem.

I alwasy heard that you don't have rats where you have mice...evidently that's bull. Just a month or so ago they said they saw a rat in our basement. I took a look at the trap the exterminator set -- it was the size of a small dog house.

Mice don't bother me all that much -- actually roaches skeeve me MUCH more. I am the one the women in the office call to get rid of the little guys fighting to get out from the clutches of the glue pads. I always drown them first before I throw them in the garbage. Those glue things will make them suffer for days....they chew their legs off trying to get away before they actually die. Stick the glue pad in the toilet bowl for 60 seconds and put them out of their missery.

Mice I can deal with....but rats? RATS?! The day I see one of them up here on our floor in our office is the day I put in my retirement papers & I am outa here.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-24-2011 05:46 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1115 days since the last post.

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2011 05:46 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also in Winnipeg: http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110617/wpg_health_violation_110617/20110617/?hub=WinnipegHome

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-29-2011 04:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Please include the text from the article in future to keep the archives here useful for the future. Links may not always hang around...

-------------------------

The text from Mike's link:

City convicts Empire Theatre at Grant Park of health violation

The city has convicted the Empire Theatre at Grant Park of harboring and feeding rodents on Feb. 14, 2011. Health officials say mice were found in the cupboards of the snack counter, where food was kept.

"There was food stored in them. There was also popcorn, cardboard, popcorn holders," said Pat Masterton of the Winnipeg public health inspection program.

But the city and Empire Theatres say they have no reason to believe anyone got sick. Empire Theatres says pest control visits all their cinemas every month.

"We aren't aware of any contamination whatsoever of food or anything otherwise," said Dean Leland of Empire Theatres.

But the problem doesn't stop at theatres. This year alone, two restaurants have been shut down because of infestations. Cockroaches led to the closure of Dim Sum Garden in March.

In February, rodent feces were found in food at the Standard Tavern.

Lincoln Poulin of Poulin's Pest Control says any place where food is stored, there's the potential for a rodent infestation.

"Spillage is a big issue, then you have people that take the food and you have the risk of them spilling it and there can be a lot of challenges dealing with rodents inside an establishment," said Poulin.

Empire Theatre movie-goers that CTV spoke to had not heard mouse droppings had been found in the snack counter. But reactions were mixed when it came to whether this news would stop them from coming back.

"Yeah, I'll go back but I think I'm going to bring my own food though," said Jeff Bresler.

Lee-Ann Bowe will find another theatre next time she wants to catch a flick.

"Yeah, I'd think twice about going now definitely," she said.

-- with a report from CTV's Laura Lowe

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-30-2011 03:19 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In NYC we now have an inspection rating system of letters, A thru C that have to be posted in a high traffic area, usually near the cash register and at eye level for establishments that server food. The letters are the size of billboards - -not longer can a bad inspection rating be hidden behind the counter somewhere. I think the letters are something like 10 inches high -- what is that, 240 point size? -- very comforting if where you are eating has a big A when you walk in, and I ams sure that if nothing else, it encourages proprietors who get Bs and Cs to get their act together to raise the rating to an A. I think it's a good plan. I haven't notices if theatres are included in this system -- I can't see why they wouldn't be.

My friend said he seeks out the C restaurants and then negotiates the prices down 20% based on their lousy rating. I am hoping he is just joking.

It's funny the way the Canadians phrase stuff -- the Empire was harboring and feeding rodents -- it makes it sound like the theatre was purposely and secretly keeping mice as pets and every night going into the cupboard to give them snacks and a beverage! [thumbsup]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-30-2011 12:02 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
California and Nevada have had that "large A-B-C letter" display requirement for a long time. When our work lunch group used to seek out new places (mostly asian) to try out we read those ratings as:

"A = Awful", "B = Best", "C = Choice." [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: