Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Using Rhubarb To Clean Popper Kettle?

Author Topic: Using Rhubarb To Clean Popper Kettle?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years, I've heard stories that it is possible to use rhubarb as a non-toxic popcorn kettle cleaner, and that it works farily well.

Has anyone else heard about or tried this?

If you've tried this, can you tell me how it's done?

I tried a quick search online and came up empty-handed.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it is possible to clean pans using Rhubarb
This site below mentions it, but does not give a great amount of information.
I imagine that you cut the Rhubarb stalk, rub the juice over the part to be cleaned, and then wash in hot water.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-uses.html#TOC69

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-21-2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reference I found that gave a vaguely useful reference was someone saying that if you have a pot that's dark on the inside you could take your rhubarb scraps, put them in the pot, fill water up until the whole discolored area is covered with water, then boil it until you see no more discoloring and then clean as usual (which I assume they mean to empty the water and wipe the thing down).

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2008/04/06/food/03readerexchange.txt

quote:
According to Marlene, you should “put your [rhubarb] scraps in the pots and fill with water to the top of black line.” Boil the water, checking every 5 to 10 minutes until the pots are clean. Discard the rhubarb and wash the shiny pots. Marlene says the scraps can be frozen for pot-cleaning during the winter months. She also shared a rhubarb recipe with us.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2008 06:03 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never rub another mans rhubarb

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: