Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Carbons and Moisture

Author Topic: Carbons and Moisture
Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if boxes of carbons that have gotten wet over the years can still be used. I have several boxes, some that got wetter than others, that I may try to pass on to someone else who uses carbon arcs.

PLEASE NOTE: I may be posting some carbons for sale in the equipment for sale page but these are not the same ones, they were always kept dry and perfect.

Tony

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-14-2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We once put carbons underwater for a week but let them dry in the lamphouse (while using other carbon) for 10-12 hours. Operation was perfect. Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2008 07:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a few that had obviously been wet at some point (but we were almost given them so...)

The bottom of the lamphouse had a floor of carbons drying out and we just took them from there and replenished as we went. There were always about 12 positives and 4 negatives lining the bottom of the lamphouse.

Worked fine.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-20-2008 12:38 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one booth I ran, we had a broken counter-top refrigerator with a light bulb that was wired "permanently on". This kept the box warm and dry. We kept our positives in there.

I'm told this helped (some) to keep the Marble carbons that our company was trying from spitting bits of their cores and blowing the light out.

Once the company'd had enough of that, they went back to Nationals. We also kept them in the hot-box, though I don't recall that we ever had a problem with them.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2008 01:42 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my experience with wet or damp carbons was spluttering , which usually covered the mirror with bits of copper and then on the odd occasion they would crack about and inch from the tip and when the copper melted away the tip would fall off.

We then adopted the same practice as John Wilson has said , rarely had problems after that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: