Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Value of Ballantyne Equipment

Author Topic: Value of Ballantyne Equipment
Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2008 05:40 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am kind of in a rush to find a value for several items in an old drive-in theater that is going to be demolished within the next few months. I have never had anything to do with operating a drive-in (but I have many indoor houses) so please pardon my vague descriptions.

I have a total of six boxes mounted on the walls relating to sound. 5 are mounted on the back wall of the booth and one (for the sound changeover) mounted at the front. I know one of the ones on the back is the amplifier and another is for turning on and off various rows of speakers. Everything in the booth, including the projectors, are Ballantyne Soundmaster. The equipment is all tube. I also have a small box sitting on a shelf and is not connected that also works off tubes and says Denakit Stereo 70. I also have a large power supply that says Ballantyne Lightmaster that I want to sell.
The drive in was closed in 1991 but the building has been kept in good repair with the exception of some minor moisture that has seeped in due to our harsh mountain winters
The projectors are also Ballantyne Soundmaster (Proj. Heads, Soundheads, Mags and bases) with Strong Mogul Carbon Arc Lamphouses but we wish to keep these and display one in our lodge that now sits on the drive-in site and another in our historic indoor theater in town.

I have a couple folks who may be interested in these items but would like to know a fair price. We will be using the funds to help us keep our historic indoor theater (built as a movie theater in 1913) running and in good repair so I would like to get as much as I can for these. Also, if anyone here can help date when this old drive in was built by the equipment in it (which was installed new), I would love to know that!

Tony

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-14-2008 06:08 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our company (Hadden) was once the world's largest Ballantyne dealer. I would guess this is 1951-1952. The Dynakit Stereo 70 is quite a collectors piece on Ebay. Any "tube" equipment has collector value, but none for operating theatres which now use FM. Louis

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Louis said the tube stuff might be worth money to a collector. Everything else is junk. Theatre chains are tossing much newer projection equipment into dumpsters these days when they upgrade to digital. There is so much used equipment out there it is more cost effective to take a saws all to the wiring conduits and just junk everything rather than pay a tech to unwire and dis-assemble everything.

[ 05-16-2008, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Sean McKinnon ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Research the value carefully before you sell. The Asians sometimes pay ALOT of $$ for vaccum toobe gear. Sometimes the Vacuum toobes are worth more than the complete amplifier is... Its best to sell direct to the buyer, you will do better... There are many "Audio Sheisters" out there...some of them are on these forums [uhoh] [Eek!] . They buy very low and sell very high... just watch E-bay and you'll see them on there from time to time. I know of a number of owners of antique audio gear that find out later how badly they were ripped off!

Mark

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2008 01:29 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is right.

I scavenge old equipment and sell tube for high dollar.

The best sellers on ebay are:
Telefunken diamond bottom
Mullard
Amperex Bugle Boys (made in Holland)
Valvo

Look for 6DJ8 (ECC88) or 12AX7 or 12AU7

Most American made stuff is going to have RCA or Sylvania, Sylvania is going to bring a little more then RCA. Also you may find GE and it will be priced about the same as RCA.
Without a tube tester expect to get a little less then you expected.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2008 06:56 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still am seeking a used Model 6 Ballantyne soundhead for parts. Specifically I need the lateral adjustment roller assembly that runs atop the sound drum. If your equipment includes a Model 6 soundhead that you can sell please contact me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: