Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Does ticket price matter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Does ticket price matter?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-19-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the movie review forum, a member from Canton, MI wrote the following:
quote:
Paramount recently stopped booking films at my theater because of our $7 adult evening ticket price! After moving up to $7.50, they seem satisfied, and we are once again showing their crappy movies and expect to book two prints of Indy. We have not been able to book a Sony movie in almost a year.
Now I don't think there's anything wrong with those ticket prices. If some film company isn't booking your theatre, it's more likely because you are not paying your film rent in a timely manner and/or violating your contract in some other way.

Or is there some other reason I'm not seeing? I've never heard of a distributor refusing bookings because ticket prices are too low, unless they're SERIOUSLY low like below $4 or something.

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2008 10:55 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only comments I will make is that the entire Detroit Metro market charges about $7 for child, $7.50 adult matinee and $9 adult evening and the location in question is $4 matinee/child and $7.50 adult evening - a nearby Ann Arbor theatre is $10 adult evening. (these prices are published so anyone can look them up)

I forget the exact numbers, but this location was near market pricing prior to a competitor opening a location down the street 3 years ago(?), which they now play day and date with.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2008 11:04 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our student, senior, child, matinée prices are $4, and a majority of our tickets are sold at this price. We compete with a new pricey megaplex literally 2 miles down the road which has full digital, etc. I doubt that our chain is not paying fees in a timely fashion, since it is quite large and has tremendous equity, being 78 years old. I am not aware of any contract violations, especially in the pre-screening area, which seems to be a big deal to studios. We typically receive prints on Thursdays, and I can't recall anyone of lower position than myself (booth supervisor) screening movies regularly.

All our other corporate theaters get Sony pictures, and were never cut off from Paramount. I suspect the issue is the split market, and the fact that they suspect they can make a quicker buck at the pricier theater down the street, whereas we have a great ability to sell out shows, sometimes into the third weekend if the movie doesn't suck.

My point with that post was that I feel this sort of behavior suggests that studios realize they are spitting out crap, and are not interested in theaters that will allow long legged movies to shine. I may be way off base, but that is how it seems to me.

Edit: I was beaten to the punch by our competitor, whom I actually have great respect for, as he seems quite devoted to quality presentation.

David, as much as I dislike my employer's changing of ticket prices, I wouldn't call it day and date. If I recall, the $.50 reduction in our prices in January was in response to your company's declaration of "Price War" on us. I have the flier the Canton location was distributing around here somewhere, if you would like to see it.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2008 11:38 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Galen - the price lowering on our end was a long time delayed reaction to your theatre's first price drop to $4 mat/child and $6.50 adult evening from near market pricing (I'm told the original adult evening price was around $8.00 or $8.50)

I will say that the restriction on prints goes beyond the studios making a quick buck - it is very complicated.

The prices were kept $.25 lower, the $.50 drop was in response to your theatre matching our prices so we went lower . . . . . personally I think the whole situation was foolish on both sides - there was also a similar situation in Kalamazoo. I actually saw the first draft of the flyer/press release so I know what was almost sent out and what actually went out as well as the progression of price lowering (I had to coordinate the changes in the POS system).

I always say that even though our companies might be "mortal enemies" it does not mean we can't be friendly and share information (just not company secrets).

FYI - our booth is open anytime in case you ever want to look over the digital projectors (just let me know if/when and I'll meet you there).

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 12:00 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, it was actually $6 adult evening, $3 everything else when I started there a year ago. [Smile]

I would love to check out one of your booths sometime, and discuss a variety of issues. I am new to projection and the industry in general, and am always glad for an opportunity to increase my knowledge and abilities.

How often are you in Canton? I am fairly busy this week owing to our lobby remodel in progress, and I don't want to inconvenience you. Send me a PM and hopefully we can set something up.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 12:31 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that some studios base their percentage on the average ticket price for an area? For example if the average ticket price for the area is $9 and the studio is taking 80% that is $7.20. If this is true a theatre charging $7.00 is loosing .20 per ticket. If this is the case maybe the company was not taking the print because of that.

Sorry Mike no more "i have heards"

[ 04-20-2008, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Scott McGuire ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience, the film rent is always based on a percentage of your gross, or 90% of the gross over the house nut, whichever is higher. I've never heard of a first-week (or best-week) base percentage higher than 70%. Sony/Columbia tried to get 80% for "Godzilla" several years ago and lost a lot of bookings over it, so they went back to 70.

Anybody ever experienced anything different?

I know that a lot of the members here might not have direct access to this kind of information, so please don't post "what you've heard" unless you absolutely know you're correct.

Ken Russell
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Ken Russell   Email Ken Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem to me that the proper pricing scheme for tickets is what ever fills 90% plus of the seats when the feature is presented tempered with the meeting of any minimum on the rental. After that for a studio to not allow an independent theater to book a film with the same rental agreement as every other theater would invite a revisit of United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc., 334 U.S. 131 (1948). I could be way off here if things have changed to the point the studios are actually putting a solid value per ticket in the rental agreement but I haven’t heard of that happening, yet. Please enlighten us if any one has experienced it.
What I said is overly simplified but is the basic truth of doing about any business. If you can consistently fill the house to 90% charging $4 a seat but only 20% at $7.50 the decision should be fairly simple. Don’t forget that value goes beyond the price of the ticket. If the service, presentation, and atmosphere exceed the competitors’ then charging the same price as they for the ticket may achieve the 90% capacity.
Just my $.02 worth.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 08:17 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At a single screen in WNY were I worked our former prices were 4 dollars matinee and 5.50 for evening prices for adults. We had to raise our prices to 5 matinee and 6.50 at night to be able to play fox, sony, paramount, and one other studio I couldnt remember as first run, since most of the product we showed at the time was sub-run. My GM refered to us as getting the "premiere run" engagement status, although I'm unfamialar with exactly what he means.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2008 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what is known as the "per capita" rule. While a studio cannot dictate ticket pricing, they can set a minimum film rental on a per capita basis. In other words, charge what you want, but your per capita film rental will be at MINIMUM based on $7.00/adult $5.00/child, etc. You can charge less, but you have to pay film rental on the per capita.

Derrick Huggins
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2008 11:10 AM      Profile for Derrick Huggins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 05-04-2008, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Derrick Huggins ]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2008 01:24 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derreck...too much information. The administrators do not allow the discussion of grosses on the forums, specifically exact numbers. That's for your safety and the theatre crews safety. Non-members are allowed to read the forums.

Derrick Huggins
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2008 01:47 PM      Profile for Derrick Huggins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derrick: The safety he's referring to is partly your job security. If I had an employee posting that specific information on a public forum I would not appreciate it. It's information that has no place in a public forum, that's all. It's just not the public's business. We're not talking national security here or anything like that.

Derrick Huggins
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Derrick Huggins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: