Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » MRS. PETTIGREW - Limited Trailer Policy? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MRS. PETTIGREW - Limited Trailer Policy?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 03:10 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw MRS. PETTIGREW this morning and there was only 1 trailer (THE VISITOR) shown. Usually, we can expect 4-5 trailers before the picture starts, so this came as quite a surprise. Is there some rule when booking this feature about limited trailers or did AMC just get lazy and not put any on this film?

All of the normal AMC policies were in place.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater may not have had anything in stock appropriate for that movie, or they may simply not have had any trailers in that format! Lately I have come across a serious shortage of flat trailers, such that the programming is pretty much based on whoever sends us flat trailers...those are the ones that get played. I have 18 gazillion scope trailers sitting there, but usually less than 10 flat ones. (For some reason every scope movie that comes in has 10+ scope trailers in the can, but every flat movie that comes in doesn't have more than 2 flat trailers in the can.)

Does anyone have some phone numbers or email addresses I can use to get a hold of the studio people who handle trailers to tell them to ship out some freakin' flat trailers???

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my dad saying that they used to add enough black leader between trailers and the feature to allow time for a lens change if the two were in different formats. would that not work any more?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2008 09:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So you are suggesting we run scope trailers, then watch as the screen gets almost half the size for the flat feature??? Ummmm, I don't think so.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't think of that, it would look pretty tacky. No trailer is deffinatly a better idea.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-31-2008 08:55 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had constant-width, it'd get bigger.

[evil]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Constant-width screens are a stupid design both aesthetically and technically. I will have nothing to do with them.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-31-2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was kidding.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about using a 3-lens turret with the 3rd lens projecting the scope trailers in letterbox format on the flat-size screen? Then you could just change over to the normal flat lens for the feature.

In the UK, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, 99% of adverts and trailers are supplied in the flat format. If anything, the advert and trailer reel runs in flat, then the lens/masking changes over to scope for the movie.
The only time I've ever seen a scope advert is at Cineworld Sheffield - the Orange Gold Spot advert is often in scope if the movie is as well.

I'm sure most patrons wouldn't be too concerned about the scope screen changing over to flat for the movie, even if it is fixed-height. I certainly wouldn't like it though [Wink]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-31-2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
What about using a 3-lens turret with the 3rd lens projecting the scope trailers in letterbox format on the flat-size screen? Then you could just change over to the normal flat lens for the feature.
Waste of money. You're paying for fixing a problem with the film studio not sending you the correct product. And hell, at that point what if they stop sending scope trailers? Would you then buy a 4th lens and quad-turret/aperture?

If they want a movie advertised, it's their responsibility to send out the necessary trailers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the "sticks," it is common to only get trailers in one format or the other. I've had plenty of occasion to switch from scope trailers to a flat feature, but I always try to do it in "steps" by arranging the trailers as follows (keeping in mind that I don't always have every type of trailer in this list):

1. Regular Scope trailer(s)
2. Pillarboxed scope trailer(s)
3. Regular Flat trailer(s)
4. Flat trailers of Scope films that are letterboxed

That way the picture might actually get bigger when the flat feature starts!

As for refusing to advertise a film because the studio didn't get me the right format trailer, that's just cutting my own throat. Got too many bills to pay to do that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have considered filing a special scope plate to the flat masking just for this purpose, but that can only be done with the Kinoton locations and it might cut off titles, which would look bad.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 12:56 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that location normally show digital movies? Since our theatre went all digital we don't recieve any 35mm trailers. The only way to get trailers on the occasional 35mm release is to hope something comes in the can. If the print is of a limited run film this isn't very likely to happen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
100% film.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are playing Miss Pedigrew this week.
Both my IME scoreboard and the data from our booking department state the movie is in the scope format, not flat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: