Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What popcorn equipment/supplies are you using ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What popcorn equipment/supplies are you using ?
Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to make some comparison on what is used in different theaters around the world.

At our theater here is what we have:

Corn: Act II Raw Corn.
Oil: Mariplex PSO (Ing: Canola Oil, Butter essences(artificial), Beta carotene, BHA/BHT (Preserving Agents).
Popper: 2 x Pop-O-Gold Floor Model - 32 oz. Kettle. (kettle is the warmer)

PS: I'm trying to get my boss to use Coconut Oil to see if the pop corn will taste better.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-28-2008 05:36 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use:

Orville Redenbacher Corn
Odell's Fluffy-pop Oil (coconut oil)
Odell's Supur-Kist 2 topping (used to use the Odell's real butter but Supur-Kist is 1/4 the cost and we actually had people say it was better than the "old stuff" when we test-sold it.)

Machinery:
Popper: Cretors Diplomat, 32 oz. with BIB oil heater/pump
Topping dispenser: Cretors BIB-X mounted in the countertop

We add about a tablespoon of Flavacol to each batch of popcorn and we also have Flavacol and "plain" salt available in shakers on the counter.

We offer 9 flavors of Kernel Seasons.

We use real popcorn buckets, not the evil bags, in 4 sizes.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one independant theatre that I was an assistant manager at they used to use superkist II. I got them to order a case of the odells butterfat, we decided to perform an experiment and misxed equal parts Superkist II and Butterfat. This combination tasted AMAZING! Everyone loved it and we had tons of positive customer comments on it. Our popcorn sales went way up after we started mixing the two. I guess some people find the butterfat too bland and the superkist too greasy and "fake" but mixing the two makes a product that tastes REALLY REALLY good, it also saves money because you use half as much butterfat. I would reccomend anyone looking or a way to jazz up thier popcorn and increase sales to give this a try!

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 07:14 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn: Zastrow's MI Popcorn. They grow their own corn and deliver it too. Great customer service. 1 tsp. of flavacol in every batch.

Oil: Coconut

Machinery: Cretors Hollywood 48, 24oz. Made approx 1948-1950. Still works great, but it is a little undersized for our theatre.

People really enjoy our popcorn.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poppers: Cretors 32oz Dip's, and Presidents (something easy for me to fix if they go down...)
Oil: stuff that doesn't need to be melted but not canola
Seasoning Salt: Cretors
Seed: Whatever our supplier sends us since the price is economical

(I miss my Manleys...)

-Monte

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 04-01-2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our poppers vary by location, all Cretor's though if I recall.

Seed: Orville Redenbacher with a teaspoon of flavocol.
Oil: Superkist Canola
Butter: Odell's at the walk-ins and those who "accidentally order" it but otherwise Superkist II.

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 10:45 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have Orville Redenbacher and coconut oil and our customers tell us we have the best Popcorn.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pop Weaver corn, Naks Pop popping oil, Super Kist, Flavacol.
Gold Medal Whiz Bang machines-2 of them, not enough space
for anything else.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-02-2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Byrd has the best popocorn that I have had in a theatre.

Landmark uses canola oil, Orville (Conagra) popcorn, and real butter (O'Dells). Not sure if they use Flavacol or similar. The popcorn there is decent, but not memorable. Unfortunately, it is sold in bags.

One of the independents where I fill in from time to time uses "Popsit" (which used to be peanut oil, but is now canola (?) oil), Weaver corn, Flavacol, and O'Dells butter. They used to use "Topsit" topping, which was gross; I convinced them to switch to O'Dells a year or two ago and the product is now quite good. It comes in buckets.

Does anyone else notice a difference in the popcorn itself? I prefer Weaver over pretty much everything else. I have to order the big bags for home use because nothing that can be purchased at the local grocery is as good (and Weaver is apparently not available in small quantities).

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-02-2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been cited as having the best pop corn in any theatre in the area. It's probably due to the Naks Pop---100% artery clogging coconut oil and the Flavacol added to the corn before it goes into the kettle and that since we have very small machines and space it is rarely more than a few minutes old.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2008 02:46 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've tested a lot of corn here and found that the Vogel "caramel" seed yields the best quality. They give it a caramel designation because it generally produces more large mushroom shaped kernels and very few old maids, thus making it suitable for Karmel Korn or other coatings. The flavor of Vogel seed seems to be a lot stronger than Conagra or Jolly Time.

We also use Odells coconut oil, Odells Butter, and Flavocol. Gold Medal poppers (not sure how I feel about them).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-08-2008 04:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Drive-In in my area with the classic Manley

-

-

..still in use and running quite well - being that this is the original popper installed when the place opened in 1953.

..and it still produces excellent popcorn..
..can Cretors last this long?

-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-08-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut oil has gotten a totally undeserved bad rap as heart unhealty. It was all started by the margarine manufacturers when they first started manufacturing the vegetable grease and dying it yellow to mimic the more expensive butter. Margarine --oleo as Ms. Roosevelt would say -- now we find is packed with trans fats. But coconut oil is as healty as other monosaturated oils like olive, but as we know, has a much higher burn threshold, making it ideal for cooking popcorn as well. Just google coconut oil and read about the benefits, not the least of which is that it is very helpful in stabablizing blood sugar levels in people who have type II diabetes. People with type Ii are advised to take coconut oil as a supliment. And it is NOT a cholestoral inducing oil.

We have all been duped by dirty marketing tricks of the food industry.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-08-2008 11:32 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I like olive oil, corn popped in it is terrible, tried it at home a while ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: