Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 5 screens slashed in 18-plex (Regal Hollywood 18, Huntvsille, AL) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 5 screens slashed in 18-plex (Regal Hollywood 18, Huntvsille, AL)
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 10:24 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At some point between 12:40 and 8:40 AM March 12 (Tuesday night / Wednesday morning), someone broke into Regal Hollywood 18 here in Huntsville and slashed 5 of the movie screens and left graffiti on a screen. The damage was estimated to be $50000, with 5 of the 18 screens cut in half. This location has 6 larger screens and 12 smaller ones, but no details were given about which ones were damaged.

This is the first case of this type of vandalism I've heard of in Huntsville since I've lived here. This theatre used to be the most popular theatre in town before the Rave Valley Bend 18 opened.

I'm wondering why someone would do this -- it wasn't done during operating hours, but was done as a break-in, and nothing was reported stolen. It seems screens would be a very easy target for vandalism during normal operating hours.

|  IP: Logged

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Evans A Criswell
It seems screens would be a very easy target for vandalism during normal operating hours.
Unless they are protected by a curtain!

quote: Evans A Criswell
This location has 6 larger screens and 12 smaller ones, but no details were given about which ones were damaged.
Heh, let's hope it was the small ones!

Geoff "Nowhere Near Alabama Tuesday Night" Jones

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they were protected by a curtain

It's a shame curtains went out of style. The last theatre (unless the new Moncaco has them, which I doubt) to have curtains that covered the screen was the Regal Gateway 4 in Decatur, a very good second-run theatre that closed in May 2000. Had it not been for that theatre, I would have never seen curtains covering a movie screen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have a stage curtain and I want to get another. It's on my list, for sure.

I always wished someone would have taken a pic of our original curtain, before the screen was enlarged. According to a newspaper description it was really nice. The larger one that covered the screen from 1953 until the mid 80s was plain & ugly, not to mention full of dirt and smoke (from when they allowed smoking in the balcony)...so it was no heartbreaker taking it down.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is shame that curtains have gone out of style but the curtains cost more than screen usually by a lot. Still if the curtain gets cut up you still have a screen to show the movie on.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One local TV station was asking anyone with tips on the screen slashing crime to notify the police. I hope whoever did that gets caught and this act is not repeated at other theatres around town.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 04:38 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because I'm cynical and often expect the worst, but I have a feeling in my gut that the slashing was done by a disgruntled employee or ex-employee. I assume the police have the names of recently fired employees and follow accordingly.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used our curtains (4 waterfall and 2 side-opening) up until this past summer. They got to be a maintenance headache. The waterfall types collected dust and were a pain in the arse to vacuum all those folds. The other pain was if they got stuck while opening or closing and it always seemed to happen at the least desirable time with a packed house. Hand cranking those things open could take 15-20 minutes.

We had very few problems with the side opening ones, although just before we decided to stop using them, one of them had a runner/glide get stuck and the curtain suffered a tare about 10' long. So that one got mothballed immediately and stayed that way especially after getting a quote to replace it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of screens cost $10k apiece? Are they silver screens? Are they counting the lost revenue as part of the damage cost? Or was the damage estimate grossly inflated?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-14-2008 12:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Give me some dental floss and some white gaffer's tape! I'll have it looking good as new in no time! [Wink]

Kidding aside...

I have repaired screens in a couple of locations. Both were slashed by recently fired employees. Check with your most gruntled employees and see if they can't tell you who the likely disgruntled candidates are.

Offering a reward would help.

The graffiti might actually turn out to be a blessing. The content might lead you to the culprit. If it says, "Joe sucks!" ("Joe" being the manager who fired them) it would sure narrow down the list of suspects. Handwriting analysis might prove to be helpful too. When I was in high school, both of these techniques were used to bust kids who spray painted the walls. One of them was actually caught red handed... LITERALLY! It was when the truant officer found red paint one one guy's fingers that he knew he had the culprit! It only took about a half hour of grilling for the kid to spill his guts and put the finger on the other two kids who were in on the prank.

They all got two weeks of IN-SCHOOL suspension!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2008 06:12 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I have seen this before. Usually, the person(s) doing it do have some idea that the damage they are doing is not only going to affect the theatre immediately, but it will take some time to get the screens replaced. When my company opened a theatre in Ashburn, VA - someone slashed the screens there. When I was in Miami, someone slashed two screens at an 18 plex I was at.

Hopefully, Regal had some kind of camera system in the building and got someone on video running around the building.

Yes, it's very expensive damage that was done. Someone should be doing some serious jail time for this vandalism. [Frown]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2008 04:13 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the damage estimate -- the cost to the theatre would be the five screens (cost would depend on which auditoriums, plus the lost revenue). One news source said the theatre planned to have the screens replaced Saturday (tomorrow), so that would mean they're losing a Friday night showing (one of the busiest nights) on 5 screens. By switching out their 5 least-popular movies, they can minimize the income damage. If the larger auditoriums were damaged, it would affect the theatre much more greatly since one showing of a popular movie might have to be in 2 smaller ones to handle the same number of customers.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2008 10:49 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow? Who keeps spare screens laying around?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2008 10:57 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even in an "emergency" situation, those screens would take quite a bit of time to get there. This is not a Fed-Ex item.
They may be using used screens - some chains keep old screens in some of their buildings, maybe for incidents like this -not exactly the same size that got slashed but sizeable enough to hang in their place until new, proper screens can be ordered.
They should thank their lucky stars this didn't happen in late May or June, when the financial impact would be more pronounced.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-15-2008 06:53 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another reason for "standardization-within-a-circuit" on auditorium design. Reordering/shipping new screens would be simply: 2 "A" and 3 "B" sized screens. Storage at a central location would be reasonable for 25 or 30 screens. Alas, that would require forethought! (Could be repaired in 24 hours.) Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: